A deliciously soft, fluffy, and totally flavorful muffin is exactly what kids need for a fall breakfast. These Nutella swirled pumpkin muffins are the best pumpkin muffin ever!
When I was a little girl I learned to make my very first batch of muffins using a little blue and white box of Jiffy muffin mix. I can still remember every moment to this day. The little blue nuggets of blueberry, the batter being swirled in the bowl, and smell filling our kitchen as they baked. Almost as amazing as Nutella Swirled Pumpkin Muffins.
Mom came downstairs and was surprised to see that I had made muffins all by myself and was so sweet about it to me. She could have gotten after me for baking alone at such a young age, or maybe she hadn’t planned on cleaning up another mess that morning, but all she did was praise me, which solidified baking for me. And I’m glad because these Nutella Swirled Pumpkin Muffins would never have existed otherwise.
I’m feeling a little distracted as I write out our blog post on Nutella Swirled Pumpkin Muffins.
I’ve been thinking a lot about conversations lately.
Cade and I speak at two different events, touring around the country every month. We speak about using social media for good, sharing with each other, lifting others, and walking away from accounts that drain us.
But in a world where we get on a platform and we get to be the speaker, I’ve been wondering if I’m doing a good job of listening. Am I good in conversations or am I just used to hearing myself talk?
Favorite TED Talk
This might not be my favorite TED talk of all time, but it’s pretty darn close. It’s Celeste Headlee, 10 Ways to Have a Better Conversation and it’s just under 12 minutes so you can totally take 12 minutes to hear what she has to say.
It’s about being more engaged, mindful and I bet happier. When you really connect with someone you always feel better, even if they aren’t your favorite person. Think about it, if we can listen to more words than we can say in a minute, well isn’t that saying a lot? Maybe listening is more important than talking.
Ok, enough about that, but I am interested in hearing what you have to say after watching the video.
Nutella Swirled Pumpkin Muffins
After making these Nutella Swirled Pumpkin Bars, I knew that muffins were close behind. How could you not make a Nutella Swirled Pumpkin Muffins recipe with fall happening? It’s a must!
The pumpkin muffins are light and fluffy. They are totally moist and packed full of cinnamon and nutmeg flavor which is what you want in anything pumpkin flavored. It screams cooler weather, sweaters, boots, and all things harvest.
Right before baking you’ll dollop a little nutella on top of the batter, and using a toothpick, swirl the chocolate into the muffin.
Ingredients Needed for Nutella Swirled Pumpkin Muffins
All the measurements for these ingredients are down below in the recipe card, but here is what you will need:
- Baking Soda
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Sour Cream
- Canola Oil
- Brown Sugar
- Canned Pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
Be sure you get a big enough jar of Nutella to have leftovers. Then you can make Nutella Swirled Banana Muffins or Peanut Butter Nutella Cheesecake. Or just put some on a slice of bread or a graham cracker because it’s soooooooo dang good!
How to Make Pumpkin Muffins from Scratch
For all the specific details for making these muffins, head down to the recipe card below. Here are the basic steps so you know what you’re getting yourself into:
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients
- Whisk together all the wet ingredients (except the eggs and pumpkin)
- Add the eggs and whisk
- Add the dry ingredients and pumpkin and fold everything together with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon
- Fill your cupcake liners 2/3 full
- Add Nutella to top and swirl with a toothpick
- Bake then let them cool completely
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar
I’m so excited for you to try these! Good mercy, they are delish!
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
We have all done it. Go to reach for the pumpkin pie spice in the pantry and it’s either out to just non-existent.
Don’t you worry – you can mix up your own pumpkin pie spice if needed!
For 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice, you will need 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves.
How to Make Muffins Moist
Muffins can be a little tricky to make as you want them to turn out tall and fluffy, but not airy and dry, so how do you make muffins moist?
Muffins need fat that won’t evaporate out, and so often a muffin with butter will end up a little more dry than one made with oil, and or sour cream. Both fats will keep your muffins moist through the baking process and keep a longer life on the counter.
Everything You Need to Know About Muffins
We go through a lot of information about muffins in our Nutella Swirled Banana Muffins Recipe, so you may consider hopping over there and reading through everything as something as simple as how high to fill a muffin liner is actually really important to the success of a muffin.
How to Store Pumpkin Muffins
Many people ask how to store pumpkin muffins because you are adding squash to the mix, but the truth is, pumpkin muffins can be stored inside or outside of the fridge. It really doesn’t matter as long as you have them stored properly.
To store pumpkin muffins:
- Place a paper towel in a plastic container or bag.
- Place the pumpkin muffins on top of the paper towel and then cover them with another paper towel.
- Seal your container.
The paper towels will help to absorb some of the moisture, so they should be good at room temperature for at least three days.
Nutella for Working Out
Ok, this is odd, and I know that, but I always check on what questions are coming up about a certain subject so that I can answer them before you even have to ask. But here’s the thing, this question I wasn’t even sure how to answer…
Nutella for working out? Whaaaaaaaat?
There were so many questions about eating Nutella to bulk up, Nutella for workouts, Nutella after workouts and I just can’t help but wonder why these are even questions?
I work out so I can eat Nutella on occasion without feeling guilty…how about that for an answer?! Ha!
So if you’re looking for a new fall treat to try, make these Nutella swirled pumpkin muffins! They are great for breakfast, after school snacks, or a treat after all the kids are in bed!
More Delicious Muffin Recipes!
- Blueberry Muffins
- Costco Copycat Pumpkin Crumb Muffins
- Blackberry Pie Muffins
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Nutella Stuffed Double Chocolate Muffins
- Pumpkin White Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Blackberries and Cream Muffins
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Nutella Stuffed Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
- Zucchini Muffins
- Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Nutella Swirled Pumpkin Muffins
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 Cup Canola Oil
- 1/4 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 Cup Buttermilk
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar dark
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs large
- 1 1/3 Cups Pumpkin canned, not pumpkin pie filling
- 2/3 Cup Nutella
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a Jumbo Muffin Pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, spices and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the oil, sour cream, buttermilk and sugars. Add in the eggs and whisk again, but be sure to not over mix.
- Dump the dry ingredients, and pumpkin on the wet ingredients and switching to a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, gently fold the ingredients together just until a few streaks of flour remain.
- Fill jumbo cupcake liners in a jumbo pan 2/3 full of batter. Or use a regular muffin tin.
- Add a dollop of Nutella on the top of each muffin.
- Using a toothpick, gently swirl the Nutella into the muffin batter.
- Bake for 23-28 minutes and then remove from the oven to cool completely.
- Sprinkle the tops with powdered sugar and serve.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.