Pavlova is a simple dessert lover’s favorite thing to serve to guests. Whipped egg whites gently baked and topped with creamy whipped cream and fresh fruit!
It sounds super fancy and looks even fancier, but I assure you this meringue-based dessert is about as easy as they come! Which makes it perfect for Mother’s Day or a light summer dessert! A few simple steps and a long bake time…kick back and relax while it bakes to perfection!
A pavlova dessert is all about the textures. It is crispy on the outside with a soft, marshmallow-y inside and a subtle and sweet taste. You can top it with your favorite fruit(s), but for this recipe, we are all about the strawberries. Oh, it’s so delicious!
What Is Pavlova?
Pavlova is a meringue-based dessert named after the Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova. It is unclear if it’s origins are from New Zealand or Australia, but whichever it is, we are sure glad it’s here!
What Ingredients Do I Need to Make Pavlova?
The list of ingredients for the meringue layer is simple and probably all items you already have at home:
- Egg Whites (room temperature)
- White Vinegar
You may need to head to the store for the whipped cream and fruit layers, but they are absolutely worth the trip!
- Strawberry Jam
- Lemon Zest
- Lemon Juice
- Whipped Cream
How to Make Pavlova
So pavlova is easy to make, but you don’t want to mess with ingredients or measurements. There aren’t substitutes that you can use for any ingredient and you can’t just skip something if you don’t have it. Just follow these steps and you’ll be all set:
- Pavlova bakes at a low temperature, so preheat your oven to 250 degrees.
- Draw a 9″ circle on a piece of parchment paper and place it on a baking sheet. You will use this as a guide for your meringue layer.
- Put your egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk it at high speed for at least 1 minute until it is frothy.
- Add 1 cup of sugar continuing to whisk at high speed. Whisk until glossy, stiff peaks form (about 3-4 minutes).
- Turn off the stand mixer and switch to a rubber spatula. Fold in the vinegar, cornstarch and vanilla.
- Mound the meringue on the parchment paper and use a spatula to spread it out to your 9″ circle. It should be the shape of a disk.
- Creating swirls and waves in the meringue is best so you get a lot of texture when it bakes, but if you prefer it smooth, that works too.
- Bake the meringue for 90 minutes and then turn off the oven. Allow it to cool completely in the oven.
- While the meringue is cooling, mix together the strawberries, jam, sugar, lemon zest and juice. Let that macerate.
- Make the fresh whipped cream. Head to our whipped cream post for our secrets for making the best whipped cream!
- Move the completely cooled meringue to a serving platter and then top with the whipped cream and berries.
Tips for Making Pavlova
There are a few tricks I’ve learned over the years for making the perfect pavlova:
- Eggs at room temperature – this makes alllll the difference!
- Use parchment paper, not foil or wax paper or anything else.
- The meringue layer can be made up to 4 days ahead of time. Store it at room temperature in an airtight container.
How Do You Know When Pavlova Is Done?
A pavlova that is done will look pale and dry. If you stick a skewer into the middle of it, a thick sticky marshmallow-y will come out. I’ve never had a pavlova not be done after baking for 90 minutes and allowing it to completely cool in the oven.
How Long Will Pavlova Keep?
Pavlova will taste best the day if it is eaten within 1 day of making it. If you have leftovers, wrap it well in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container. If it’s stored properly, it will keep for 2 days.
Does Pavlova Need To Be Refrigerated?
Do NOT ever refrigerate pavlova! It will take on moisture in the refrigerator and become soggy. Pavlova should always be stored at room temperature.
Truth be told, I always request strawberry shortcake for Mother’s Day because it my greatest obsession, but this pavlova with strawberries is going on the list this year! Why not have both?!
More Perfect Mother’s Day Desserts:
- Cinnamon Roll Cheesecake Bars
- Cinnamon Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
- Raspberry Sweet Rolls
- Strawberry Shortcake
- Lime Cheesecake with Triple Berry Sauce
- Mini Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cakes
- Nutella Stuffed Strawberry Chocolate Cupcakes
- Raspberry Lemon Bars
- Strawberry Jello Cake
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake Oreo Brownies
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Pavlova With Strawberries
- 4 Egg Whites room temperature
- 1 Cup Sugar plus 2 Tablespoons, divided
- 1 teaspoon Vinegar white
- 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 Pound Strawberries quartered
- 1/4 Cup Jam Strawberry
- 1/2 lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Whipped Cream fresh
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Use parchment paper for cake pans or draw and cut a 9” circle and place on a baking sheet.
- Place egg whites in a bowl of a standing mixer with a whisk attachment. Whisk at high speed for at least 1 minute, until frothy. Slowly add 1 cup of sugar and continue whisking until glossy, stiff peaks form, about 3-4 minutes. Switch to a rubber spatula and gently fold in the vinegar, vanilla and cornstarch.
- Mound the meringue in the center of the parchment and use a spatula to evenly spread it out, forming a large disk. The waves and swirls are best but smooth is fine.
- Bake for 90 minutes, then turn oven off and allow meringue to cool completely in the oven, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, fold together strawberries, jam, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, lemon zest and juice. Set aside.
- Prepare the fresh whipped cream and transfer the cooled meringue to a platter. Top with whipped cream and berries.
- Refrigerate leftovers for up to 1 day.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.