Strawberry pretzel jello salad is three layers of sweet, salty, creamy, crunchy, tart, tangy perfection! Now let’s arm wrestle over if it’s a salad or dessert!
I could live in strawberry season forever. Is there a place where it’s strawberry season forever? That’s where I want to live. Let me know in the comments below.
Strawberry shortcake is my absolute favorite dessert ever. Strawberries in a salad are divine. What can I say? Strawberries and I are besties! So I don’t really know if I think it’s a dessert or a salad, but it totally doesn’t matter. My answer is YES!
I’m going to refer to it as a salad or a side dish for this post, just so we can all feel healthy about eating it. If you’re looking for a salad for your summer BBQs, you should give this recipe a try! I have never taken it to a gathering where it hasn’t been devoured.
Ingredients Needed for Strawberry Pretzel Salad
Here is your grocery list for each of the three layers of this salad:
Pretzel Layer – pretzels, butter, brown sugar and sugar
Jello Layer – strawberry jello, water, strawberries (fresh or frozen)
Cream Layer – sugar, cream cheese, Cool Whip
How to Make Strawberry Pretzel Salad
The steps for making this recipe are simple. Here they are broken down by layer:
- Preheat oven.
- Combine all the ingredients well.
- Press into baking dish.
- Bake and let cool completely.
- Beat the sugar and cream cheese together.
- Fold in Cool Whip.
- Spread over cooled pretzel layer.
- Mix the jello powder and boiling water until the powder is dissolved.
- Stir in the strawberries.
- Put in fridge and let it cool.
- Pour over the cream layer.
- Refrigerate until firm (3-4 hours)
Tips for Making Strawberry Pretzel Salad
- Measure the 2 cups of pretzels whole before chopping them up.
- Chop the pretzels on a cutting board with a sharp knife.
- Spread the cream layer all the way to the sides of the pan so it seals the crust and protects it from the jello layer.
- Dissolve the jello as the directions states for this recipe. Don’t follow the directions on the box of jello.
- Make sure the cream cheese is at room temperature. That will help the cream layer be smooth.
- Cooling the jello in the fridge will bring the temperature down. Putting hot liquid on the cream layer will crack that layer and ruin the salad.
Can I Use Whipped Cream Instead of Cool Whip?
Normally I am all about the whipped cream, but for this recipe, I would highly recommend sticking with Cool Whip. I’ve found that whipped cream sogs out the pretzels.
Can You Make Jello Salad Ahead?
This recipe can be made 2-3 days in advance. Cover the salad and store it in the refrigerator until ready to serve. It is best to serve about a half day after making it.
Can I Use Frozen Strawberries Be Used?
Yes, frozen strawberries can be used. Defrost them and drain them thoroughly. You don’t want to add any unnecessary moisture.
How Long Will Strawberry Pretzel Salad Keep?
This salad will keep for 5-7 days in the refrigerator. Cover well before storing.
Are Strawberries Good For You?
Strawberries have particularly high levels of antioxidants and they are packed with vitamins and fiber.
Strawberries are a sodium-free, fat-free, cholesterol-free, low-calorie food.
Okay, okay it’s probably a dessert, right? But jello salad can always pass as a side dish here in Utah! So I will make this and a dessert to eat afterward! Indulge baby!
More Jello Recipes You’ll Love:
- Lemon Jello Cake
- Lemon Jello Peach Pie
- Strawberry Jello Cake
- Raspberry Jello Fluff
- Lemon Mandarin Orange Jello Salad
- Pineapple Crush Jello Cake
- Raspberry Jello Salad
Strawberry Pretzel Jello Salad
- 2 Cups Pretzels, broken into pieces
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Box Jello, 6 oz. Strawberry
- 2 Cups Water, Boiling
- 4 Cups Strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 8 oz. Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 8 oz. Cool Whip
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine pretzels, melted butter, brown sugar and sugar, stirring well until combined.2 Cups Pretzels, 1/2 Cup Butter, 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar, 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- Press into a 9x13” baking dish
- Bake for 6-7 minutes and then cool completely.
- Beat the 1 cup sugar with the cream cheese until smooth. Fold in the Cool Whip.1 Cup Sugar, 8 oz. Cream Cheese, 8 oz. Cool Whip
- Gently spread over the the pretzels, pressing the cream cheese totally against the sides of the pan to seal the crust so the Jello won’t leak.
- Mix Jello and boiling water until all sugar is dissolved. Stir in the berries.1 Box Jello, 2 Cups Water, 4 Cups Strawberries
- Place in the fridge to cool for 15 minutes.
- Pour over the cream cheese and refrigerate until firm, about 3-4 hours.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.