It didn’t take us long after discovering The Very Best Banana Bread recipe to decide to make The Very Best Double CHOCOLATE Banana Bread Recipe. You’re welcome.
As you know, we took it very seriously to find a banana bread recipe that would destroy all others with its goodness. But then once we found it we became banana bread monsters, anxious to create more banana bread ideas. Obviously the first up had to be double chocolate banana bread, but we will also be sharing a carrot cake banana bread, biscoff banana bread… and you know we already have two viral recipes for Chocolate Chip Banana Zucchini Bread and Peanut Butter Banana Bread.
When is National Banana Bread Day?
February 23 is National Banana Bread day which means you had better mark your calendars for next year!
What Bread Pan to Use for Banana Bread
It depends on the recipe which pan you’ll want. Most banana bread recipes you’ll want to use a 9×5″ USA bread pan. That’s what we use and we love it. In this recipe it will over flow in that pan, so we use a 9.25 x 5.25 x 2.75.
Everything You Need to Know About Banana Bread
Remember, we searched long and hard, tested hundreds of recipes and finally created our own very best banana bread recipe, so if you have any questions about banana bread, please refer to our post on The Very Best Banana Bread Recipe.
How to Make Banana Bread More Moist
There are two things to make banana bread more moist. Let’s start with the one you should always do no matter what.
Oil is what you should use to make banana bread more moist, but many people are afraid to try that as they don’t agree with using oil or want that buttery taste. After testing recipes for so many years I can tell you that absolutely, without a doubt butter makes for a drier banana bread and you actually don’t notice that buttery flavor at all.
I know that sounds crazy, but it’s true. You don’t miss the butter at all if you use oil, but you definitely miss the moist crumb when you don’t use oil. But what kind of oil for banana bread? We prefer canola oil or vegetable oil would be fine too. Olive oil has a slightly fruity flavor so we don’t recommend using that.
Sour Cream or Yogurt in Banana Bread
The second way to make banana bread moist is to add sour cream or yogurt. We prefer sour cream as it’s thicker and blends well with the banana flavor.
In our regular banana bread recipe we didn’t add it as it was unnecessary but also because we wanted a classic banana bread recipe, and will save a sour cream banana bread recipe for another day.
The sour cream makes the bread extra moist and dense but you’ll never know it’s in there.
Cocoa powder dries the bread out a little which is why we needed to add some moisture back into the bread with sour cream versus just adding more bananas or oil which makes the bread not rise as well.
Can you Make Banana Bread with Fresh Bananas?
I hesitate to answer this question as I really, really, think you should do it exactly as we state, but I know sometimes people don’t care about perfection so here goes…
You can make banana bread with RIPE but not OVER ripe bananas. Not green, mind you.
An overripe banana has turned more starch into sugar so it will give the proper flavor, bake and texture to the banana bread. Not to mention it’s easier to smash into the correct consistency.
However, a ripe banana will still work though you may want to sample the mashed banana and make sure it’s not too tart.
All our BANANA BREAD RECIPES:
- Best Banana Bread
- Sour Cream Banana Bread
- Biscoff Banana Bread
- Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Peanut Butter Banana Bread
- S’mores Banana Bread
- Snickerdoodle Banana Bread
- Oreo Biscoff Banana Bread
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread
- Banana Crumb Bread
The Very Best Double Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
The Very Best Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa
- 1 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 Cup Canola Oil
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 5 Tablespoons Sour Cream * see note
- 2 Large Eggs *see note
- 1 1/4 Cups Mashed Banana about 2 very large bananas or 3 small
- 1 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9.25 x 5.25 x 2.75 bread pan
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Whisk it all together and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the oil and sugar. Add in the eggs and sour cream and whisk again.
- In a glass measuring cup, using a fork, mash the bananas until thick and smooth.
- Add the chocolate chips, reserving 1-2 tablespoons for the topping, wet ingredients and banana into the dry ingredients and gently, using a rubber spatula, fold to combine. Do not over mix.
- Pour into a bread pan and bake for 60 minutes, tenting with foil for the last 10 minutes.
- Open the door to the oven, turn it off, and pull out the rack gently with the banana bread on it. Allow to cool for 2 minutes and then turn out onto a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Serve with a swipe of butter or plain, but either way it's best enjoyed warm!
Looking for a classic, chocolate chip banana bread recipe? Make sure you try The Very Best Banana Bread recipe and let us know what you think by tagging us on instagram!