It didn’t take us long after discovering The Very Best Banana Bread recipe to decide to make The Very Best Double CHOCOLATE Banana Bread Recipe. You’re welcome.
Double Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
As you know, we took it very seriously to find a banana bread recipe that would destroy all others with its goodness. But then once we found it we became banana bread monsters, anxious to create more banana bread recipes.
Obviously the first up had to be double chocolate banana bread, but we will also be sharing a carrot cake banana bread, Biscoff banana bread… and you know we already have two viral recipes for Chocolate Chip Banana Zucchini Bread and Peanut Butter Banana Bread.
After making countless banana bread recipes, we’ve learned a few things about how to keep it super moist. The first key thing to remember is that you must use oil in your chocolate banana bread. Many people are afraid to try oil as they want that buttery taste. After testing recipes for so many years, I can tell you that absolutely, without a doubt butter makes for a drier banana bread and you actually don’t notice that buttery flavor at all.
I know that sounds crazy, but it’s true. You don’t miss the butter at all if you use oil, but you definitely miss the moist crumb when you don’t use oil. But what kind of oil for banana bread? We prefer canola oil or vegetable oil would be fine too. Olive oil has a slightly fruity flavor so we don’t recommend using that.
The second way to make banana bread moist is to add sour cream or yogurt to the batter. We prefer sour cream as it’s thicker and blends well with the banana flavor. In our regular banana bread recipe, we didn’t add it as it was unnecessary but also because we wanted a classic banana bread recipe, and will save a sour cream banana bread recipe for another day.
Double Chocolate Banana Bread Ingredients
As we mentioned, this is a banana bread recipe with sour cream and oil, so it’s practically impossible to make a dry loaf. In addition to those two key things, you’ll need a handful of other ingredients to make this chocolate chip banana bread recipe.
- All-purpose flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Canola oil
- Granulated sugar
- Sour cream
- Mashed bananas
- Mini chocolate chips
How to Make Double Chocolate Banana Bread
If you can handle classic banana bread, you can easily make this double chocolate banana bread recipe. Here’s how to make super moist banana bread every time:
- Sift the dry ingredients into one bowl, and stir together the wet in another.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, reserving a few tablespoons for the top of the loaf.
- Turn the batter into a greased loaf pan.
- Sprinkle with reserved chocolate chips.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until set and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Can I Add Other Mix-Ins to the Banana Bread?
Absolutely! You can add different flavors of chocolate chips, chopped nuts, and even shredded coconut to this double chocolate banana bread recipe. Just be sure not to add more than 1 cup of mix-ins total, otherwise your bread may overflow in the oven.
Can I Freeze Banana Bread?
Yes, this double chocolate banana bread freezes really well. To freeze, let it cool completely before storing in a freezer bag or wrapping in a few layers of plastic wrap. When you’re ready to enjoy the frozen banana bread, set it on the counter to thaw.
Tips for Making Double Chocolate Banana Bread
For the best flavor and texture, you should make this double chocolate banana bread recipe with overripe bananas. An overripe banana has turned more starch into sugar so it will give the proper flavor, bake and texture to the banana bread. Not to mention it’s easier to smash into the correct consistency.
Before making the chocolate chip banana bread batter, the ingredients should all be at roughly the same temperature. Set the eggs and sour cream out about 15 minutes before starting this recipe to be safe.
Lastly, we recommend tenting the loaf pan with foil in the last 10 minutes of baking. This will ensure the top of the bread doesn’t burn while the center of the loaf finishes baking.
All our BANANA BREAD RECIPES:
- The BEST Banana Bread Recipe
- Sour Cream Banana Bread
- Biscoff Banana Bread
- Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Peanut Butter Banana Bread
- S’mores Banana Bread
- Snickerdoodle Banana Bread
- Oreo Biscoff Banana Bread
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread
- Banana Crumb Bread
The Very Best Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa
- 1 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 Cup Canola Oil
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 5 Tablespoons Sour Cream * see note
- 2 Large Eggs *see note
- 1 1/4 Cups Mashed Banana about 2 very large bananas or 3 small
- 1 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9.25 x 5.25 x 2.75 bread pan
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder baking soda, and salt. Whisk it all together and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the oil and sugar. Add in the eggs and sour cream and whisk again.
- In a glass measuring cup, using a fork, mash the bananas until thick and smooth.
- Add the chocolate chips, reserving 1-2 tablespoons for the topping, wet ingredients and banana into the dry ingredients and gently, using a rubber spatula, fold to combine. Do not over mix.
- Pour into a bread pan and bake for 60 minutes, tenting with foil for the last 10 minutes.
- Open the door to the oven, turn it off, and pull out the rack gently with the banana bread on it. Allow to cool for 2 minutes and then turn out onto a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Serve with a swipe of butter or plain, but either way it's best enjoyed warm!