You may not realize this about me, but I love bread. I know, you would never have guessed it with my sweet potato rolls, BEST Potato Rolls, Softest Homemade Rolls, Whole Wheat Potato Rolls, Easy Hoagie Rolls, One Hour Rolls, ok, ok I’ll stop but I honestly have a few more I could mention so you better go check out the bread section of our site. Ok, so I obviously lied, soft pretzels are just another example of bread and love in my house.
It all started years ago when my mom would make Banana Bread or homemade oatmeal bread for us. It was so warm and soft and I couldn’t get enough of it. Eventually we started ordering soft pretzels at my sister’s softball and soccer games and eventually we ended up having an addiction to the soft pretzels with cheese at the mall. Yes, I’m posting that recipe soon so get excited because it’s the smoothest, best nacho sauce you’ll ever make.
Anyway, I know I’m not the only one that loves bread, I know you all do too even if you aren’t eating it as much. See, I can see how often my pins on pinterest are getting repinned and it’s awesome because everyone will pin all of our workout posts and healthy recipes all day, but then that blessed hour hits when the kids are asleep in their cozy beds and suddenly everyone’s got the munchies because it’s all carbs and junk food for the rest of the night.
It’s like we want to live healthier lives but still drool over the guilty pleasures. And you know what? I’m with ya! I just saw a recipe on The Recipe Critic for Strawberry Pie Sour Cream Bars and I think I need a batch right now!!
Are Soft Pretzels Dairy Free?
Soft pretzels are dairy free.
They are made from sugar, yeast, salt and flour.
Are Pretzels Healthier Than Potato Chips?
Pretzels are lower in calories than potato chips.
Pretzels also are much lower in fat.
A serving of potato chips contains 21 grams of fat.
A serving of pretzels has just 2 grams of fat and less than half a gram of saturated fat.
How Long Will Homemade Soft Pretzels Keep?
Soft pretzels will keep 3-4 days at room temperature.
Allow them to cool completely and then store them in a zip lock bag.
Pretzels can be kept in the freezer for 3-4 months.
The Perfect Soft Pretzels
The Perfect Soft Pretzels
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 6 Cups Water
- 2/3 Cup Baking Soda
- 1 Egg yolk + 1 tablespoon water
- Sea Salt For Topping
- Combine the water and sugar in a standing mixing bowl and sprinkle the yeast on top.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes, until the mixture begins to foam and grow.
- Add the butter and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and salt together and whisk to combine.
- Add the flour and salt mixture into the liquid and use the dough hook attachment to mix on low speed until all of the ingredients are combined.
- Increase the mixer speed to medium and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the mixer and place it in a clean, oiled bowl.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and place in a warm spot until the dough has doubled in size, about an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and drizzle with a little oil.
- Fill a large pot with water and the baking soda.
- Bring the mixture to a rolling boil.
- Meanwhile, place the dough on a slightly oiled counter and divide into 8 equal pieces.
- Roll out each piece of dough into a 24-inch rope, lay it on the counter, then holding each end in a hand make a u-shape with the rope, cross them over each other, bring it down, twist, and press onto the bottom of the u in order to form a pretzel.
- Place onto the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Drop the pretzels into the boiling water, 1 or 2 at a time for about 30 seconds, constantly spooning the hot water over the dough.
- Remove them from the water using a large, flat spatula and place right on the oiled baking sheet.
- Brush the top of each pretzel with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake until dark golden brown in color, about 12 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Yield: 8 servings, Serving Size: 1
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 316 Calories
- Total Fat: 6.3g
- Cholesterol: 31.6mg
- Carbohydrates: 55.8g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Sugar: 1.8g
- Protein: 8.1g