Looking for a classic mid-western recipe? This Cheese frenchees deep fried grilled cheese recipe is a favorite for the super bowl!
As you already know, we love food and we love traveling, and of course we especially love trying out new foods while traveling. We seriously plan our trips around trying out what that area is known for in the food world. It’s so much fun and totally inspires us here at home. Cade alsways pushed for trying fun new places while traveling and I’m so grateful, but now I have a fun way to do the same thing from our own kitchen! Let’s start with how these Cheese Frenchees Deep Fried Grilled Cheese from Nebraska came about.
Let’s deep fry some grilled cheese sandwiches!
There’s this awesome new cookbook out by Cook’s Country (and you know how I adore them!) called, The Cook’s Country Eats Regional Cookbook and it is so fun! We’ve always loved hearing about where you all live and the recipes your region is known for (hello funeral potatoes in Utah, haha) and we have been having the best time ever reading through the book at night and trying things the next day. I mean, I’d never even heard of Frenchees, but they are amazing!
The cookbook is broken up by region and full of mouthwatering photos which is kind of a must in the world of cookbooks for me. We love the variety in the cookbook along with the fact that there aren’t just recipes but little blurbs about each one. We seriously feel like we have been getting to know our own country even better and we didn’t even have to leave our home.
I kind of insist that you click the link above and buy one for yourself. I know both Cade and I would love to hear what some of your local recipes are and if any made it into the book! Here’s what we will be trying next, Buttermilk Pie, Pimento Cheeseburgers, Babka, Heavenly Hots and Chiles Rellenos Casserole! Have you had any of those recipes?
Can Grilled Cheese Sandwiches be Reheated?
The best way to reheat a grilled cheese sandwich without it becoming soggy, is to reheat in the oven.
Reheat at 350 degrees until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasty crisp.
Do Grilled Cheese Sandwiches Need To Be Stored In The Refrigerator?
A grilled cheese sandwich should not be left out for more than 2 hours.
They should be wrapped in foil or plastic and stored in the refrigerator.
Cheese Frenchees Deep Fried Grilled Cheese Recipe
Cheese Frenchees Deep Fried Grilled Cheese
- 8 Slices Hearty White Bread
- 6-8 Slices White or Orange American Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
- 2 Large Eggs, whisked
- 2/3 Cup Milk
- 1 1/2 Sleeves Ritz Crackers, crushed into coarse crumbs
- 3-4 cups Oil for Frying, we prefer peanut or canola
- Ketchup or Honey Mustard for serving
- Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Lay out the bread and on each slice, spread mayonnaise until it has all been used, making it so that the sandwich will have mayonnaise on both slices for each sandwich.
- Add 1 1/2-2 slices of cheese to 4 slices of the bread. Place the lid on, mayonnaise side down.
- Cut each sandwich in quarters.
- In a pie dish, whisk together the eggs and milk.
- In another dish add the cracker crumbs.
- Dredge each quarter in the egg and then the crackers. Place on the cookie sheet and repeat with all sandwiches.
- Place in the fridge to rest for 1 hour.
- Fill a dutch oven 1/2-3/4 full of oil. Heat over medium high heat. Too low of heat and the breading will just fall off and you'll have soggy sandwiches.
- Cook 2-4 quarters at a time, about 1-2 minutes per side until golden and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oil to a paper towel lined plate or a cooling rack over a paper towel lined baking sheet.
- Serve with ketchup or we prefer honey mustard.