I am so excited about this post for you all! First of all, it’s a combo of our favorites in bar form, creamy cheesecake and apple crisp! Plus, we have been bursting to tell you that we have decided to sign on with Fisher Nuts to be their ambassador for another year! Woop, der it is! Actually, we are a “Fisher Nut Thinker” which is a cute way to put it. We love that they are preservative free and easy for us to cook with so it was a great fit. We cannot wait to get into the kitchen and start busting out a few recipes to share throughout the year, and of course we are kicking things off with cheesecake walnut apple crisp bars to celebrate!
There’s a little secret about these bars. For one thing we love a good cinnamon and spice flavor, but we also love a warm, oat topping and this one has walnuts hidden in it for an extra crunch, but the nuts are subtle enough you wouldn’t even guess that’s what it is. Kind of like when I add nutmeg to a cream sauce and everyone is trying to guess the secret. I love a good secret.
And these bars are also how we get to encourage you all to win a trip to New York City and hello, do you see who you would get to meet from the Food Network?!!!! Here are the details and I hope one of you wins!
o Entries can be submitted at www.MyFreshTwist.com from 9/9 to 10/21
o Recipes must include pecans, walnuts or almonds and will be judged on their originality, integration of nuts, taste, and visual appeal.
o Each submission will be featured on www.myfreshtwist.com where Fisher Fans and their friends and families will be able to vote to select the top ten finalists.
o Voting will take place 10/22 through 11/4. Chef Alex Guarnaschelli and a panel of judges will choose the grand prize winner from the finalists.
· Grand Prize Winner:
o Trip for 2 to NYC including airfare, dinner and accommodations
o Meet Chef Alex Guarnaschelli
o $500 cash
· 14 Semi-Finalists:
o $100 Visa gift card
o Signed copy of Chef Alex Guarnaschelli’s cookbook: Old-School Comfort Food
· Weekly Prizes:
o Fisher Nut Products
o Copy of Chef Alex Guarnaschelli’s cookbook: Old-School Comfort Food (which I own and it’s fabulous!)
Are Walnuts Good For You?
Walnuts are the only nuts that contain high amounts of omega-3 essential fatty acids, which promote heart health and help lower blood pressure.
Walnuts promote the health of your gut and may help reduce disease risk.
Walnuts are an excellent source of antioxidants.
Which Apples Are Best for Baking?
Granny Smith apples are the go-to apples for cooking and baking because of their tart flavor and crisp texture.
Braeburn, honey crisp, gala, and jonagold are also great apples that maintain texture and flavor when baked.
Does Apple Crisp Need To Be Refrigerated?
Apple Crisp should be allowed to cool at room temperature and then stored in the refrigerator.
Cover with plastic wrap with a few holes poked in the top to keep it from getting soggy.
Cheesecake Walnut Caramel Apple Crisp Bars
Preorder our new book!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Cheesecake Walnut Caramel Apple Crisp Bars
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter unsalted
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup walnuts chopped fine
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup oats
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 12 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 extra large egg *see note for substitutes
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 apples peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- *caramel and ice cream for serving if desired
- Heat the oven to 350 and spray an 8x9" pan with nonstick cooking spray or line with tinfoil.
For the crust
- Place the flour, brown sugar, salt and butter into a bowl and using a fork or pastry cutter, cut in the butter until it resembles wet sand.
- Press into the pan and bake for 15 minutes and remove from the oven.
For the filling
- Beat the sugar, cream cheese, vanilla and egg together.
- Pour over the crust.
- Toss the apples with the sugar and cinnamon.
- Spread over the cream cheese layer.
- In a bowl, mix the walnuts, butter, oats, brown sugar and flour. When you squeeze with your hand it should all stick together.
- Crumble over the apples and bake for 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly and refrigerate until ready to serve.