Want a quick and easy healthy dinner recipe? This cheesy meatball zucchini skillet is a one pot wonder and the whole family, yes even your picky eaters will be happy.
Is Zucchini Healthy for You?
You‘ll surely be impressed with the nutritional bounty that zucchini offers.
It’s low-calorie (with only 17 calories per 100 grams) and high in fiber, and has no cholesterol or unhealthy fats.
In fact, a zucchini has more potassium than a banana.
Hello Sweet Basil readers! It’s been a while since I’ve popped over here and said hello, and brought you something yummy to eat!! Like a reaaaaally long while. I’m Kristy, from Boys Ahoy, where I basically share everything from food, fitness, and adventures with my boys. Come stop by! Carrian is a dear friend of mine and I only wish this “blog visit” could turn into a real life visit.
I miss that girl! But for some reason, I can’t seem to convince her to move to California 🙁
Anyway, THIS SKILLET. It’s so good you guys! Like gather up all your zucchini cause you’re gonna put this one on repeat ’til there ain’t no zucchini left! I’m sure everyone’s made zoodles by now, but I’ve got a tip to making them turn out just right–not mushy, but not too crunchy either.
Once you spiralize the zucchini you have to place them in a strainer or colander and sprinkle them with salt! This helps absorb the liquids. Let them sit for 10-15 minutes and then use a clean cloth to wrap the zoodles up and squeeze the water out. Squeeze squeeze squeeze until the water stops dripping.
You’ll love this dish because you cook everything in one skillet! And by everything I’m talking meatballs, marinara, the zoodles and cheese (okay and a few seasonings). It’s ridiculously easy. I even use pre-cooked frozen turkey meatballs from Trader Joe’s and use my favorite jar of marinara sauce. If you’ve got time to make the meatballs and sauce from scratch, by all means, do it! And then tell me all about your time management skillzzzz, mmmkay?!
After cooking the meatballs and sauce together in a cast-iron skillet on the stovetop, you add the zoodles, cook for a little longer, then cover it all with cheese and place it in the oven….
Get that cheese nice and bubbly and then you are golden! DIG IN my friends!
Now get zoodlin’….
And come say hello! Find something yummy to eat and let’s be friends!
Cheesy Meatball Zucchini Skillet
Cheesy Meatball Zucchini Skillet
- 1 lb pre-cooked frozen Turkey meatballs like from Trader Joe's
- 24 oz marinara sauce of choice
- 5 zucchini
- 1/2 cup mixed blend of shredded mozarella + mild cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped basil for garnish
- Spiralize the zucchini (using a spiralizer), place it in a strainer and sprinkle with salt. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Using a clean kitchen cloth, wrap it around the zoodles and wring out all of the excess liquid. Set aside. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the meatballs and marinara, with garlic salt. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until meatballs are heated through. Gently stir the zoodles into the skillet. Cook for additional 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over the top. Bake at 400 for 5-10 minutes. Then turn oven to broil and broil on high until the cheese is golden and bubbly. Dish up!
And you can check out a couple more quick and easy, healthy staples at our house!