Taco spaghetti is a mashup of two kid favorites! Imagine spaghetti topped with all your favorite taco fixings. So. Dang. Good!
Our daughter loves “the soup” so much that I’m always trying to find a new way to use those flavors, and on a whim this last winter I made it into spaghetti and the kids went nuts!
I love it most of all because it’s good for any season. So maybe you don’t feel like soup in the summer but you can always eat spaghetti!
You are basically making a Mexican casserole by taking taco filling and piling it up on top of cheesy spaghetti. Pasta topped with meat and cheese and whatever your favorite toppings might be. Winner winner, taco spaghetti for dinner!
Ingredients for Taco Spaghetti
Here is your grocery list for this kid friendly meal:
- Ground Beef
- Taco Seasoning
- Diced Tomatoes
- Tomato Paste
- Salsa Con Queso Dip
- Colby Jack Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Green Onions
The measurements for each ingredient can be found in the recipe card down below.
How to Make Taco Spaghetti
I know that the clean up after cooking a meal can be almost as daunting as cooking the meal itself. That’s why I love finding meals that can be all cooked in one pot. The cleanup is a cinch and the dish is one that the whole family will love. Here are the basil steps:
- Brown the ground beef in a dutch oven over medium high heat and remove any excess grease.
- Add the garlic.
- Stir in the taco seasoning, then add the water and simmer.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, spaghetti and water. Bring to a boil until the pasta is soft.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the pasta is done and the water is gone.
- Remove from the stove and add the queso.
- Top with the shredded cheese and broil for a few minutes.
- Top with your favorite taco toppings and serve.
What to Eat with Taco Spaghetti?
This recipe can totally be a meal by itself, but if you want to add a side dish or two, here are some possibilities:
Variations on Taco Spaghetti
This is dish is super versatile. You could really use any type of pasta you have on hand. It would be great with bowties or penne. If you want to go low carb, you could use spaghetti squash instead of pasta. And if you’re looking to reduce fat, you could swap out the ground beef for ground turkey or chicken. Make it your own, friends!
How Long Will Spaghetti Keep?
Spaghetti will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Can You Freeze Cooked Spaghetti?
You can freeze left over spaghetti. Make sure it was cooked just to al dente, cool completely, place in an airtight container and freeze. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight and then reheat according to the instructions below.
How to Reheat Spaghetti
Spaghetti can be zapped really quick in the microwave for a single serving. To reheat in the oven, place in an oven-safe dish and cover tightly with foil. Then bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
How Long Will Spaghetti Keep In The Freezer?
Spaghetti will keep for about 3 months in the freezer.
Ok, let me count the reasons this taco spaghetti rocks the block…kid friendly, one pot, ready in less that 30 minutes, perfect for a busy weeknight, easy cleanup, versatile, and the whole fam is going to love it!
More Kid Friendly Dinner Ideas:
- Cornflake Ranch Chicken
- Chicken Fajitas
- Smoothie Bowls
- Pizza Sauce
- Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Herb Roasted Chicken
- Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice Casserole
- Crunchy Chicken Fingers
- Pizza Rolls
- Cheese Frenchees
Kid Friendly Dinner- One Pot Taco Spaghetti
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Packet Taco Seasoning
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies, Ro-tel, 10 oz.
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 8 oz. Spaghetti
- 3 Cups Water
- 1/2 Cup Salsa Con Queso Dip
- 1/2 Cup Colby Jack Cheese, Shredded
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese, Shredded
- 1 Tomato, Diced
- Green Onions, For Garnish
- 2 Ounce Can Sliced Olives
- 2 Tablespoons Cilantro, Chopped
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Drizzle in a little oil and add the ground beef, cooking until browned and broken into bits, about 5 minutes. Drain off any grease and return the pan to the heat. Stir in the garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in the taco seasoning then the water and bring to a simmer for 3 minutes, turning the heat to medium.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, spaghetti and 3 cups of water. Bring back to medium high heat to bring to a boil until the pasta is soft enough to push under the water then cover and reduce to a simmer and cook until pasta is cooked and water is all gone, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the queso.
- Heat the oven to broil. Top the pasta with the two cheeses and place under the broiler until melted.
- Sprinkle with tomato, chopped green onion, olives and cilantro and serve!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES. B