What Is Prosciutto?
Prosciutto is and Italian dry-cured ham.
It is usually served in thin slices.
Is Prosciutto Safe During Pregnancy?
Pregnant women should be cautious with cured, uncooked meats.
Prosciutto, is not cooked, it is just cured and fermented.
This means there’s a risk that prosciutto could contain parasites that could cause illness.
Most parasites are killed if the meat is frozen, so freezing prosciutto would make it safer to eat.
Is Fresh Spinach Good For You?
Raw Spinach is rich in many essential nutrients.
These nutrients include folate, vitamin C, niacin, riboflavin, and potassium.
(our notes in bold)
- 1/2 Cup Butter
(we used a couple tablespoon olive oil instead of the butter)
- 5 oz Prosciutto, thinly sliced, chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 3 Cups Chicken Broth
- 3 Cups Milk, whole, we used Skim
- 4 Cups Chicken, cooked, chopped
- 2 Cups Gruyere, shredded
- 1 Cup Mozzarella, shredded
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 9 oz Spinach, fresh baby
- 16 oz Noodles, dumpling style, cooked and kept warm (we used whole wheat spirals)
- 1/2 Cup Bread Crumbs, homemade foccacia, toasted
- Preheat Oven to 350 and lightly grease a 3 quart baking dish
- In a dutch oven, heat butter (or oil) and cook prosciutto and garlic.
- Cook until prosciutto is crispy.
- Stir in flour and cook for two minutes stirring constantly. DON'T CUT YOUR TIME SHORT! When you are stirring flour into anything you need to let it cook out that dry floury taste.
- Add broth and milk, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 6-8 min or until thickened.
- Stir in chicken, salt, pepper, and cheeses; stir until cheeses melt.
- Stir in noodles and spinach.
- Spoon into a baking dish and bake for 30-35 min. (We cooked until hot and bubbly so it was only about 20 min.)
- Garnish with a little more parm and bread crumbs if desired and serve immediately!