Ground chicken is a deliciously healthy alternative to ground beef. For this recipe, we add coconut curry and put an Indian spin on a traditional burger. This coconut curry chicken burger will be your new favorite!
Before You Begin…
Radicchio is quite bitter so we want to soak it in cold water first to remove the bitterness. Then toss it with a little red wine vinegar and salt for pickle it a little.
How to Make Chicken Curry Burgers
Ingredients for Coconut Curry Chicken Burgers
- Naan: You can buy naan at the store or use flatbread or pita bread. It is a fun change from a typical hamburger bun and tastes delicious!
- Ground Chicken: Chicken tastes great with the curry. You can also use ground turkey if you want.
- Coconut Curry: If you make curry at home, you will need: curry powder, garam masala, yellow onion, garlic, sweetened coconut milk, tomato paste, salt, pepper, sugar, water, and cornstarch.
- Salt and Pepper: adds flavor to the patties
- Radicchio: or red cabbage works great too
- Red Wine Vinegar: helps pickle the radicchio for extra flavor
- Cilantro: adds a delicious pop of freshness and flavor
- Lime Wedges: adds just a touch of acid
Keep scrolling down to see all the measurements for the ingredients in the recipe card below. You can also print or save the recipe there.
Are Chicken Burgers Healthy?
Ground chicken is a healthier alternative to ground beef and a great option for making a burger. Ground chicken is low in fat, high in protein, and inexpensive which is always a win these days! I paid $4.49/gallon at the gas station yesterday and I wanted to cry!
How to Make Chicken Curry Burgers
Since this isn’t your typical burger recipe, let me walk you through how to make them…
- Divide the ground chicken into 4 equal parts and gently squeeze them into balls. Sprinkle them all with salt and pepper and store them in the fridge.
- Prep the radicchio by soaking it in cold water for 5-15 minutes and then drain it well. Toss it in a bowl with vinegar and salt and store in the fridge.
- Make the curry or warm up your store-bought curry and keep it warm on the stove.
- Heat up your cast iron skillet over medium high heat and add a drizzle of vegetable oil. Put one portion of the ground chicken down and season the other side.
- Place one piece of naan (or flatbread) on top of the ball and press it down all over so the meat flattens evenly all over the naan. Allow it to cook until golden and cooked through.
- The meat patty almost becomes one with the flatbread and it almost becomes like a taco shell for the rest of the toppings. It’s so fun and unique!
- Remove from the skillet and spread curry sauce all over it. Sprinkle with the radicchio, some cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice. Repeat with the remaining patties.
You can also find all these instructions in complete detail in the recipe card down below.
What to Serve With Curry Burgers
Whenever I think of burgers, my mind immediately goes to hot french fries! That is a great side dish for this meal, but since it’s not your typical burger, you can totally have fun with the side dishes. Here are a few ideas:
Can Chicken Burgers Be Made Ahead?
Parts of this recipe can definitely be made ahead, but I wouldn’t assemble the burger ahead of time. They are best made hot and fresh! You can prep the ground chicken ahead of time into balls. Just store them in an airtight container in the fridge until you’re ready to make them.
You can also prep the curry ahead of time and just warm it up when you are starting to make the burgers. Curry actually gets better if it’s allowed to sit for a while.
Once these burgers have been assembled, they don’t store very well. The flatbread or naan will get soggy and they just don’t reheat well. You can store the burgers without the curry sauce and toppings for up to a day or two. Reheat them on the stove top in a skillet and top as written in the instructions.
If you’re looking of a scrumptious and unique burger recipe, try this coconut curry chicken burger! It is so bold in flavor! All you curry fans out there are going to love it!
More Tasty Burger Recipes to Try:
- Garlic Pesto Caprese Burger
- Teriyaki Pina Colada Burger
- Smash Burger
- Southern Pimento Cheeseburger
- Lasagna Burger
- Pepperoni Pizza Burger
- Killer Burger Sauce
- Secrets to the Best Burger
Coconut Curry Chicken Burger
- 4 Naan, or flatbread
- 1 lb Ground Chicken
- 1 Batch Coconut Curry, make your own or buy the kind they sell at Costco
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Cup Radicchio, or red cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- Lime Wedges
- Separate the meat into four patties and season with salt and pepper on one side. Place in the fridge.1 lb Ground Chicken, Salt and Pepper
- Start by soaking the radicchio in cold water for 5-15 minutes then drain well. Place in a bowl with vinegar and a little salt and toss to combine. Store in the fridge.1 Cup Radicchio, 1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- Prepare the curry and set aside, keeping it warm in a pan.1 Batch Coconut Curry
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat and add a drizzle of vegetable oil. Place 1 patty down and season the other side.
- Place the naan or flatbread on top and press evenly all over to make the meat completely flat. Cook, turning down to medium heat after 2 minutes. Allow to cook for a total of 5-6 minutes or until golden and cooked through.4 Naan
- Remove from heat and slather in curry sauce, sprinkle on radicchio and cilantro and add a squeeze of lime!Cilantro, Lime Wedges, 1 Batch Coconut Curry