This Four Cheese Margherita Pizza recipe is so easy and so delicious! Actually, this is our favorite. We pretty much only eat margarita lately and while we love a traditional this one is packed with so much flavor it’s hard to not make it. There’s something especially wonderful about how the cheeses work together. The first time we made the pizza and I threw that feta on top I thought, this could be pushing it, that may be too much cheese.
But is there ever too much cheese?
Or pizza? I mean, come on.
The dough is a Neopolitan crust which means super thin. We prefer thin, but if you like more crust probably don’t use this recipe or use two quarters of dough instead of one for each crust. And we loooove the marinated tomatoes. It makes the pizza even more awesome! They only take a quick soak, and if you leave them too long they will start to break down too much, but trust me, they are totally awesome.
Our friends gave us this recipe years ago and told us it was a 4 cheese pizza but that they didn’t use all the cheese. We added feta and thought we were being so original but years later we’ve been pointed to this recipe where I’m sure our friend got the recipe. So credit is owed and we are happy to give it!
In the end it’s a dang good four cheese margherita pizza so what more can I say other than, just trust me on this one and make it for your family asap!
What Is A Margherita Pizza?
Margherita pizza is a pizza generally made with San Marzano tomatoes, mozzarella, fresh basil, salt and extra-virgin olive oil.
What Is A San Marzano Tomato?
San Marzano tomatoes are a variety of plum tomatoes.
Plum tomatoes are a type of tomato used for making sauce.
They are generally oval or cylindrical in shape, and generally higher solid content, with less juice.
Are Roma Tomatoes The Same As Plum Tomatoes?
Roma tomatoes are also known as Italian tomatoes or Italian plum tomatoes.
Four Cheese Margherita Pizza
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Four Cheese Margherita Pizza
- 1 teaspoon yeast dry active
- 1-1/4 cups water warm
- 1 cup cake flour not self-rising
- 2-1/2 to3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Olive oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tomatoes Roma, sliced
- 8 ounces cheese shredded Mozzarella
- 4 ounces cheese shredded Fontina
- 1/4 Cup basil leaves fresh, chopped
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1/3 cup cheese crumbled feta
- Add the yeast to the warm water and allow it to sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake flour, 2-1/2 cups of all-purpose flour, and salt.
- Add the yeast mixture and stir to form a soft dough.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead until smooth and elastic, adding more flour as needed.
- Coat a bowl with olive oil.
- Place the dough in the bowl, turning it once to coat with oil.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place.
- The dough should double in volume in about 1-1/2 hours.
- Flatten the dough and cut into 4 equal size pieces.
- Shape each piece into a ball.
- Place the balls on a lightly floured surface and cover.
- Allow to rise about 1 hour, until doubled.
To make the Pizza
- Stir together olive oil, garlic, and sea salt; toss with tomatoes, and let marinate for 15 minutes, but no more than 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Brush each pizza crust with some of the tomato marinade.
- Sprinkle the pizzas evenly with Mozzarella and Fontina cheeses.
- Place tomatoes on top of cheese, then sprinkle with shredded basil, Parmesan, and feta cheese.
- Place baking stone in 6 min before and then remove and place pizza on stone and into the oven.
- Bake 10-12 min or until slightly golden and bubbly!