Ingredients for Chicken Enchiladas
The ingredients for this recipe are simple, accessible and inexpensive which are things that I’m looking for these days…hello, post Coved and insane inflation! Here is what you will need:
- Honey – adds the perfect natural sweetness to the chicken marinade
- Lime Juice – gives the chicken a little tang
- Chili Powder – for that smoky heat
- Garlic – flavor
- Chicken Breasts – you can cook your own chicken or buy a rotisserie
- Corn Tortillas – warm them up to keep them from breaking. You could also use flour tortillas if you prefer.
- Mexican Cheese Blend – using this blend makes it easy, but you could use Monterrey jack or pepper jack for more heat
- Green Enchilada Sauce – I tend to buy Hatch brand a lot, but you can buy whatever brand is your favorite.
- Heavy Cream – adds so much depth and richness to the sauce
- Cooking Spray – used for warming up the tortillas
- Cilantro – the pop of freshness that every Mexican dish needs imho
You can scroll down to the end of this post to get all the detailed instructions and measurements for all the ingredients. You can also save or print the recipe there.
Are Enchiladas Mexican or Spanish?
Enchiladas originated in Mexico, where the practice of rolling tortillas around other food dates back at least to Maya times.
How Do I Keep Tortillas from Breaking?
In order to avoid having the tortillas break when you’re rolling the enchiladas you will want to heat them up. You can use flour, yellow or white corn tortillas, but we generally like the extra flavor of the corn tortillas.
We either heat them up in a really hot skillet or as the video shows, place in a towel or plastic wrap and microwave until warm. Now quickly work through the meat and cheese placing the enchiladas seam side down in the dish. That’s it!
What Do You Serve With Enchiladas?
My favorite sides with enchiladas are beans, rice & a simple garden salad which has just enough crunch to balance out the whole meal.
Can Enchiladas be Made Ahead of Time?
You can assemble the enchiladas up to two days ahead, cover, refrigerate, and bake them before serving.
How Long Will Chicken Enchiladas Keep in the Fridge?
I would store for up to three days.
If you’re concerned about too many leftovers, throw them in the freezer.
They will last for 1-2 months and you can have yummy enchiladas any time!
If an easy, flavorful and family friendly dinner recipe is what you are looking for, then this honey lime chicken enchiladas recipe checks all the boxes! We are making enchilada fans out of everyone with these babies!
More EASY MEXICAN RECIPES
Looking for more outrageously good Mexican recipes? Here are a few of our faves:
- Restaurant Style Salsa
- Instant Pot or Slow Cooker Pineapple Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Smothered Honey Lime Chicken Burritos
- Instant Pot or Slow Cooker Smothered BBQ Beef Burritos
- Crock Pot Cafe Rio Chicken Copycat
- Our Favorite Steak Fajitas Marinade
- Authentic Carne Asada Tacos
- Crisp Black Bean Vegetarian Tacos
- One-Skillet Enchilada Ground Beef Casserole
- Instant Pot Ground Beef Burrito Bowls
- ALL OF OUR MEXICAN RECIPES!
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup lime juice about 2 large limes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder up to 1 Tablespoon
- 2 large cloves of garlic finely minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts about 2 large breasts, cooked and shredded
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups of Mexican cheese blend shredded (1 small bag usually is 2 cups)
- 1 can green enchilada sauce 14oz, mild or medium, to your taste
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup heavy cream
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 Tablespoon of chopped cilantro to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the cooked and shredded chicken in a medium sized bowl.
- Set aside.
- In a small bowl, place the honey, lime juice, chili powder and minced garlic or garlic powder.
- Whisk together thoroughly to combine.
- Pour this mixture over the chicken and cover with plastic wrap.
- Allow to marinate while you prepare the tortillas, 30 minutes or up to 1 hour, in the refrigerator.
- Heat a large griddle till a drop of water skitters across (about 350 degrees F).
- Spray the surface with non-stick cooking spray or a oil it with a little bit of canola oil in between each round of tortillas.
- Heat tortillas about 20 seconds on each side till warm and flexible and some golden brown spots have appeared.
- Remove the tortillas from the griddle and keep them between a couple of paper towels until ready to use.
- Spray the sides and bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish lightly with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl combine the enchilada sauce and the heavy cream.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of the mixture in the bottom of the oiled baking dish.
- Add a large spoonful (about 2 tablespoons) of the chicken mixture to the center of each tortilla in a line.
- Cover the chicken with a large tablespoon (or big pinch) of cheese, then roll the tortilla up from one side to make a rolled enchilada - it will be more of an over lap on the seam side that rolled tightly.
- Place the enchilada seam side down in the baking dish starting at one end with the long edge parallel to the longest side of the pan so that you end up with two columns of six enchiladas each.
- Repeat with the remaining chicken, cheese and tortillas.
- You will use about 1 1/2 cups of the cheese for the filling and set the remainder aside for topping the enchiladas in the pan.
- Add the remaining marinade mixture to the enchilada sauce and cream mixture, if desired.
- Pour this mixture over the top of all the enchiladas.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake the enchiladas for 30 to 35 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly and starting to brown on top.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.
Simple, classic, meatless enchiladas that even the kids will rave about.