This one pan sticky Mexican chicken recipe only needs 6 simple ingredients and you’ll be eating the most flavorful chicken dinner in just 10 minutes! I love the combination of the citrus from the lime, a hint of sweet from the honey to counteract the spicy seasoning. It’s a perfectly balanced chicken recipe!
I love quick and easy chicken recipes! Chicken tends to take over in the quick dinner category which is funny because ground beef is actually faster to cook, but alas, here we are. Ok, so I’ve fallen in love and I need everyone to join me. I love this sticky Mexican chicken recipe and I really think it will be your back pocket recipe as well.
Where This Recipe Came From
This recipe started with a dying lime.
It was breathing it’s last few wispy breaths from the fruit basket I detest and I just knew that it was time for a little cpr. With only 6 ingredients I busted out dinner in just 10 minutes and now I can’t stop using the Mexican chicken in everything from tacos to rice bowls, and salads to soups, plus everything in between.
I really think the key is to use either our homemade taco seasoning or the Kinders brand, which I buy at Costco. I wouldn’t recommend the little taco seasoning packets as they don’t boast as much flavor. But if you must, the recipe will still be delicious.
I’d love to hear how you use the chicken! Reach out and share your recipes and photos on instagram @ohsweetbasil
Ingredients for Sticky Mexican Chicken
Sometimes the best recipes come from the most simple ingredients combined in just the right way. Here are the 6 ingredients you will need:
- Chicken Breasts: cut into bite size pieces, the chicken breasts can also be cooked whole if you prefer (see recipe notes for instructions)
- Taco Seasoning: we like to use our homemade recipe, but you can use store bought (we recommend Kinders)
- Olive Oil: used to cook the chicken and keep it from sticking
- Green Onions: greens only, chopped in 1″ pieces, adds flavor
- Lime Juice: adds a bright citrus flavor
- Honey: adds natural sweetness and balances the seasoning
The measurements for all the ingredients are listed in the recipe card at the end of this post.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- One Pan: the whole recipe is made from start to finish in one pan making cleanup easy
- Ready in 10 minutes: the prep is minimal and cooking small bitesize pieces of chicken cooks up really quickly
- Only 6 ingredients needed: the flavor is maxed out with just a few simple ingredients
- Balanced flavor: the tartness of the citrus is balanced by the sweetness of the honey and it’s all enhanced by the spiciness of the taco seasoning
- Versatile: it can be eaten by itself or as a part of several other dishes (see section below)
- Meal Prep: this chicken is great for prepping ahead, especially if you like to meal prep
- Healthy: all the ingredients are natural and one serving is less than 200 calories with over 25 grams of protein
How to Serve This Mexican Chicken
I can’t stop thinking of ways to eat this sticky Mexican chicken. The first time I made it, we just ate it plain with a side of black beans and Mexican rice. Since then, we have eat this chicken on burritos and tacos, in enchiladas and quesadillas, and on top of nachos and rice bowls. Every one of them has been delicious! I plan to use it next in our white chicken chili and then in our Mexican cheese rice casserole in place of the ground beef!
So all that being said, you can eat it just as is, or you can add it to just about any Mexican dish you can think of.
If you want some suggestions for side dishes to go with this chicken, here are a few options:
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Pinto Beans
- Mexican Roasted Zucchini
- Homemade Salsa
- Elote Mexican Corn Salad
- Homemade Flour Tortillas
Storing, Freezing and Reheating
Mexican chicken stores really well in both the refrigerator and freezer. Keep it in an airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. It will do even better in the freezer if you use a Food Saver to vacuum seal it!
Reheating chicken can get a little tricky because it tends to dry out. My favorite way to reheat it is actually in the oven. Place the chicken in an oven safe pan, add a couple of table spoons of water (or broth), cover the pan tightly with foil and then bake for 10-15 minutes at 400 degrees F.
Whether you need to feed a crowd or just need to get a quick weeknight meal on the table, then this easy sticky Mexican chicken is your answer!
Quick and Easy Chicken Recipes:
- Chicken Parm
- Cashew Chicken
- Chicken with Oregano
- Chicken Stir Fry
- Garlic Butter Chicken
- Cornflake Ranch Chicken
One Pan 10-Minute Sticky Mexican Chicken
- 3 Chicken Breasts, boneless, skinless, chopped in 2" pieces (see note)
- 3 Tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning, or Kinders Taco Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 4 Green Onion, Greens only, chopped in 1" pieces
- 2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, olive oil and taco seasoning. Set aside.3 Chicken Breasts, 3 Tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning, 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, add about 1 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil and add 1/2 of the chicken. Leave undisturbed for 3-4 minutes so that the chicken can brown. Next, start to stir occasionally until cooked through, about 5 minutes longer.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and repeat with remaining chicken.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the lime juice and honey.2 Tablespoons Lime Juice, 2 Tablespoons Honey
- Just as the chicken is finishing, add the green onions in and stir until sautéed.4 Green Onion, Greens only
- Quickly add back in the first batch of chicken as well as the honey mixture and stir until the majority of the liquid coats the chicken. Serve immediately.
Absolutely delicious! So quick & easy. The lime & honey add a really nice flavour that balances out the spice of the taco seasoning. I really recommend try this recipe!
Thank you so much Anna!
How large of a chicken breast?
Just average size is great! If they are a little bigger, it should be fine!