You guys, I’ve got the end of summer blues. I know, it probably seems way too early to feel that way, but school starts in just a few weeks here, and that has me feeling like it’s fall already. Growing up we never started school this early. Anyway, it actually isn’t that bad because we’ve been getting a lot done in preparation for the winter months with Food Saver. Which is why we are going to talk about how to freeze corn today. FoodSaver sent over their G3H Vacuum Sealer and it pretty much rocks my world. (This is not a sponsored post, though I did receive the product to review. The opinions and post are completely my own and just something I wanted to share.)
Whenever we hit the end of a season we like to get ready for the next. Like spring cleaning after the long winter, putting away cold weather clothes and getting out summer stuff after spring, and preparing for winter after summer by doing some deep cleaning (like using our fave Soft Scrub Advanced Surface to clean our grill all shiny again, and scrub down the kitchen before and after the cleaning and freezing process so that everything is healthy and safe.) and canning and freezing fresh foods. I’ve kind of become a picky cleaner now that I have kids. I only use certain products and the no name brands just wont do. Soft Scrub is literally the only cleaner I use in my Kitchen and on our grill. I know, picky, but it works the best, doesn’t leave residue and actually cleans the surface so the germs etc aren’t hanging out.
Corn is so delicious all summer long and when winter hits canned corn just doesn’t do it for us. So, instead I like to start freezing my fresh ingredients. Which in the long run actually saves us gobs of money. We buy when produce is fresh and on sale and vacuum seal it for the cold winter months.
First thing, let’s quickly talk about my new obsession. This pretty baby quickly removes the air from their special bags thus helping food to stay fresh 5x longer and because you can quickly save leftovers, fresh foods in season etc you actually end up saving upwards of $2700!!It’s super easy to use, turn it on, put the food in the bag, stick the bag’s end in and it sucks out the air and seals it for you. EASY! You can check out their Facebook Page to see more tips about marinating, making ice packs etc and maybe do like I’m doing this weekend, grab some friends and have a little party getting all of the fresh food ready for the long winter. I know, I sound like I should be on QVC, but I’m serious, I love this thing.
Ok, now I know some of you don’t have a FoodSaver, so you could definitely just suck the air out of the ziploc bags, but clearly it’s totally worth buying this thing.
1. Start by blanching your corn (you can definitely skip this step and just cook the corn all the way when you are ready to use it, but make sure you label which bags you blanch and which you don’t if you go back and forth.) which is heating a pot of water to a boil, and adding a few ears of corn for 4-6 minutes.
2. Quickly take the corn out of the pot and throw it in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Allow it to cool and remove the corn, drying with a paper towel to remove moisture.
3. Using a sharp knife and a large bowl or bundt pan to catch the kernels, cut the corn off of the cob. Place the corn in a seal-able bag.
4. Place the bag in a FoodSaver and allow it to remove the air and seal the bag, or press out the air yourself and seal shut. Label your bag so you know when you froze the food and you can easily keep track of what needs to be used by when. Ours keeps for up to 12 months!!!
Then you can make delicious meals like…
More CORN RECIPES You Are Sure to Love:
- Secret the the Best Grilled Corn
- Elote Mexican Corn Pasta Salad
- Jalapeno Bacon Elote Mexican Grilled Corn Salad
- Slow Cooker Potato Broccoli Corn Chowder with Bacon
- Cheesy Zucchini Corn Casserole
- Elote Grilled Mexican Corn Salad
- Grilled Corn Avocado Tomato Salad
- Bacon Ranch Corn Dip
- Ham and Potato Corn Chowder
- Mexican Street Corn – Elote
- Fiesta Corn
- Ham Sandwich and Corn Chowder
- Best Creamed Corn
- Cilantro Butter Corn
- Grilled Corn Salad with Black Beans and Rice
- Cheesy Jiffy Cornbread Casserole
- All our SIDE DISHES here!