For years and years I’ve wanted to share these fantastic Italian Pressed Sandwiches with you all but never took the time to snap pictures.
Layers of Italian meats, roasted red peppers, tomatoes, spinach and fresh mozzarella all pressed between tender slices of Italian bread. Oh baby, these sandwiches are so yum!
You see, picnics are kind of my thing. I adore them. I always have. Growing up we would make a delicious bowl of potato salad, pick up KFC (I KNOW, but don’t judge, KFC and picnics was a thing and I bet you did the same thing!) and head to some park or up into the mountains. Especially in July when our church would hold a huge Stake picnic, an entire day of games, water slides, family activities etc. It was incredible!
Sometimes when we would ditch KFC, we would haul sandwiches and sides and that was truly my favorite kind of picnicking. There’s something so free and wonderful about unplugging and finding respite in the hills. So, in case you’ve forgotten that joy-especially the one you were reminded of during quarantine (come on, did we so quickly forget the lessons we learned?!) then let me remind you, a stacked sandwich, a bunch of fresh fruit, salty chips and maybe a dessert like our lemon drop cookies will bring all kinds of happy to you and your favorite people.
You can try all sorts of flavors for pressed sandwiches such as mayo and turkey blt style, turkey, cheese and avocado, heirloom tomatoes, mozzarella, peppers and eggplant, etc. The sky’s the limit!
What Ingredients Do You Need for Pressed Italian Sandwiches?
If you’re headed to the store to buy all the items for your next picnic, here is your shopping list for these sandwiches:
- Italian Bread (ciabatta, focaccia, or your favorite)
- Italian Meats (genoa salami, varzi, calabrese)
- Roasted Red Bell Peppers
- Balsamic Glaze
- Fresh Mozzarella
- Baby Spinach (or Basil)
I recommend a bag of crisp grapes and some kettle cooked potato chips! The measurements for each ingredient in the sandwiches can be found in the recipe card at the end of the post.
How to Make Pressed Italian Sandwiches
There’s not much to making a sandwich which is why they are so awesome! Here are the basic steps:
- Slice open the bread and spread loads of pesto on one side.
- Drizzle the other side with a little olive oil.
- Lay the tomatoes and roasted red peppers (see section below) flat on the side with olive oil. Drizzle with balsamic glaze.
- Layer the meats, cheese, and spinach (or basil).
- Place the top of the bread on and wrap in plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator and put a heavy skillet (or anything flat and heavy) on top to press it down.
- Serve with your favorite picnic sides!
How Do I Press a Sandwich?
I’ve seen all sorts of methods, but the easiest for me is to just place the wrapped sandwich on a cookie sheet and then set my heaviest cast iron skillet on top. I’ve also seen people put another cookie sheet on top and then pile dumbbells on top. You can do whatever works best for you. You just want the sandwich to be pressed between two flat surfaces.
How to Roast Red Peppers
What to Serve at a Picnic?
I love these sandwiches with some crunchy chips and a simple side salad or fruit. For a picnic, here are few other great side options:
Take a picture of your picnic and tags us on social media! We would love to see it!
More Tasty Sandwich Recipes:
- Chicken Salad Sandwich
- French Dip Sandwich
- Caprese Sandwich
- Sun Dried Tomato Bacon Pesto Grilled Cheese
- Honey Avocado Turkey Bacon Sandwich
- Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Panini
- Triple Decker Club Sandwich
Italian Pressed Sandwiches
- Slice open the bread and spread one side liberally with pesto. On the other half drizzle a very small amount of olive oil.
- Lay the tomatoes or roasted red pepper flat. Drizzle with a little balsamic glaze.
- Layer the meats, cheese and spinach (basil if desired).
- Close the sandwich and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in the fridge with a heavy skillet or anything very heavy on top for 6 hours or up to overnight.
- Serve with chips and salad!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.