Delicious & The BEST Italian Sauteed Mushrooms Recipe in the world – this is one of my favorite side dishes my mama makes.
I remember having huge family gatherings at my mom’s house on holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas and these Italian Sauteed Mushrooms were always there. My mom would cook a huge turkey and few side dishes, while everyone else would bring desserts and appetizers.
Reasons I Love This Recipe
Crowd Pleaser: Everyone loves my mom’s sautéed mushrooms! I don’t remember a single time that at least one person hasn’t wanted the recipe.
Easy: You wouldn’t believe how easy it is to make this mushroom recipe. All you will need is 5 ingredients and one SECRET SAUCE.
Quick: Cooking this easy holiday side dish will only take about 15 minutes.
Make Ahead: It tastes even better after 48 hours, because the mushrooms will marinate in the Secret Sauce and will make the mushrooms taste extra yummy. Such a win because that means you can prep ahead which is what I need when it comes to big holiday meals!
What are you waiting for? Scroll down to see how to make The Best Italian Sautéed Mushrooms Recipe.
Ingredients You Need to Make the Best Sauteed Mushrooms:
- Baby Bella Mushrooms: also called cremini mushrooms, they have a deep earthy flavor and beautiful color
- Italian Dressing: You can make your own homemade Italian dressing or buy your favorite brand from the store. This is the secret sauce combined with the flavor of the bell peppers and onions…so dreamy!
- Onion: just a yellow onion works great
- Red Bell Pepper: you could also use orange or yellow
- Salt and Pepper: adds flavor
- Parsley: used for garnish
The measurements for each ingredient can be found in the recipe card at the end of this post. Keep scrolling for all the details!
Substitutions and Variations
If you can’t find baby bella mushrooms, white button mushrooms will work fine. They just will lack a little depth of flavor. Portobello mushrooms can also be used. You’ll just want to cut them into bite size pieces. Porcini, chanterelle or shiitake mushrooms are also options but they tend to be quite expensive. You can also do a combination of any of these.
Fresh parsley can be swapped for any variety of fresh herbs…thyme, oregano, or rosemary will all taste great.
If you want to add a little heat, add a pinch or two of red pepper flakes.
How to Clean Mushrooms
Mushrooms can sometimes have dirt on them when they are packaged. Be sure to wipe mushrooms with a dry paper towel to clean them. Don’t wash them in water or use a damp paper towel. Mushrooms are like sponges and will soak up water. You don’t want to add any extra moisture, and you want the mushrooms to soak up the Italian dressing flavors.
How to Sauté Mushrooms:
- Using a large skillet on a medium/high heat, add 1lb of sliced mushrooms (I like to leave the stem on) and sprinkle a little salt. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until golden brown color, stirring few times.
- To the same skillet add 1 cup of Italian dressing, 1 diced onion and 1 sliced red pepper. Stir and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium heat, season with salt and pepper, if needed, cook for 3 more minutes, stirring few times.
- Serve warm or cold with a dash of freshly chopped parsley. Keep in the refrigerator in the air tight container for up to 3-5 days. Enjoy!
What to Eat with Italian Sauteed Mushrooms
Pairs well with
How to Store Cooked Mushrooms?
Cooked Mushrooms can be stored in airtight container or a zip bag in the refrigerator from 3-5 days.
Can Mushrooms be Reheated?
Have you ever wondered, can mushrooms be reheated? They were so good at that holiday party last night, so why not have them again the next day, right?
It is recommended not to preheat cooked mushrooms because it can upset the belly.
After you make these Italian Sautéed Mushrooms, it is best to eat it cold. You will like how these sautéed mushrooms will taste after they cool off, in my opinion even better!
You won’t be able to resist the bold umami flavor of these savory Italian sauteed mushrooms! And aren’t they so beautiful?! I just love the colors!
More Mushroom Recipes You’ll Love:
- Italian Sauteed Mushrooms
- Porterhouse Steak with Mushrooms
- Chicken Strogranoff
- Ground Beef and Rice Casserole
- Ground Beef Strogranoff
- Pork Chops
Italian Sauteed Mushrooms Recipe
- 1 lb Mushrooms, Baby Bella, sliced
- 1 Cup Italian Dressing
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, sliced
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Parsley, for garnish
- Using a large skillet on a medium/high heat, add 1lb of sliced mushrooms and sprinkle a little salt. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until golden brown color, stirring few times.1 lb Mushrooms, Salt and Pepper
- To the same skillet add 1 cup of Italian dressing, 1 diced onion and 1 sliced red pepper. Stir and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium heat, season with salt and pepper, if needed, cook for 3 more minutes, stirring few times.1 Cup Italian Dressing, 1 Onion, 1 Red Bell Pepper, Salt and Pepper
- Serve warm or cold with a dash of freshly chopped parsley. Keep in the refrigerator in the air tight container for up to 3-5 days. Enjoy!Parsley