This Easy Pork Chops and Rice has become one of our go-to weeknight dishes because it turns out perfectly every time and its so easy! It is juicy, tender, rich in flavor and never dry. We share all our tricks for making the best baked pork chops of all time!
My mom made a really similar recipe growing up, just minus all of the veggies and it was a family favorite. The vegetables always came on the side though. When you’ve got 5 kids and a few picky eaters you win some battles and you lose some. Thankfully I’ve grown up and the veggies are definitely in this rice casserole recipe.
When you find a recipe that makes everyone happy, you latch on to it and lock it in to your regular dinner rotation! And you happy dance around the kitchen! Until the next time you make it and at least one of the kids decides they don’t like it anymore, but I digress! Let’s stay positive because so far this Easy Pork Chops and Rice has been a success with the all the kids on multiple occasions!! I’m a happy dancin’ momma!!
Tips for Juicy, Tender Pork Chops
Let’s start by talking about how pork chops often get a bad rap for being dry. Its so sad because pork chops can be so, so tasty, but over-cooked and dry chops can happen so easily! Here are a few tips for having juicy, tender pork chops:
- Make sure you have a good meat thermometer! Pork chops are done when they are 145 degrees Fahrenheit and should never go over 150 degrees.
- A perfect pork chop starts with a good sear. Searing creates a delicious crusty outside layer that seals in the juices.
- Thicker pork chops make for more tender meat. When you get the thinner cut pork chops, they dry out super fast, so the thicker the better!
- Know your pork chop. If you get bone-in chops, they will need 10-15 minutes longer to cook. Just be aware of what you are buying and plan your cook time accordingly.
Are Pork Chops Healthy?
On the pork spectrum of healthiness, pork chops fall closer to the healthier side. On one end you have your bacon and sausage, and at the other end, you have your tenderloin. Pork chops are closer to the tenderloin side. Then there is a pork chop spectrum of healthiness.
This goes back to the tip of knowing your pork chop. There are certain cuts of pork chops that can be high in cholesterol, but if you look for a lean pork chop, like top loin chop or a sirloin, you’ve got yourself the start of the healthy meal. Pork chops also contain many healthy vitamins and nutrients like most of the B vitamins and Niacin which lowers cholesterol and triglycerides.
Pork chops are a popular choice across many different dietary needs. They are high in fat and protein and low in carbs which make them great for our keto friends. For this recipe, you will just want to omit the flour when you sear the meat. Pork chops are also gluten free, paleo friendly, and whole30 approved! Everybody wins!
Why Pork Chops and Apples?
I have been told that pork chops and apples together is an absurd combination in some countries, but here in the good ol’ U S of A, it is a classic combination. I’m not sure where it comes from, but its just works! We like to eat this dish with a side of our 2-Ingredient Instant Pot Applesauce. The salty and savory flavors of the pork chops pair perfectly with the sweetness of the apples. Such a winning combo!
Can Pork Chops and Rice be Frozen?
Yes, yes, and yes! This makes a great freezer meal! Just make sure it is completely cool before wrapping thoroughly and placing in an airtight container.
Steps to the Perfect Baked Pork Chops
Ok, don’t blink because this dish is seriously so easy you might miss it. All the details are below, but here is the gist of it. First, you set your oven to 350 degrees and prep your 9×13 baking dish. Then you coat your pork chops in the mixture of flour, paprika, salt, and pepper and give them a nice sear. Move the chops to a plate and stir together the soup, rice, water, peas, carrots, and mushrooms in your skillet.
Once they are all mixed thoroughly, pour it into your baking dish and place your pork chops on top. Stick everything in the oven for 90 minutes. Did you blink? Did you miss it? See! So simple and fail-proof!
Best Supporting Actor – Rice and Veggies
The pork chops are definitely the star of the show here, but I had to give the rice and veggies their own time in the spotlight. Like I mentioned, when my mom made us pork chops and rice, the vegetables got kicked to the side, and kicked right off my plate.
I’ll let you in on a little secret here…I love the pork chops in this dish, but the rice and veggies are my favorite. I’m so glad I grew out of the veggie-hating phase! These veggies are so tender, and the mushrooms add such a delicious earthy flavor. I’m not exaggerating when I say this part of the dish is delish because all of my kids ate them! Shocker of the century! I triple dog dare you to try this dish on your family too! Its a guaranteed hit!
To see all of our family dinner recipes, head here! These are a few of our favorites…
Easy Pork Chops and Rice
- 4 Pork Chops Boneless
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Cup Peas Frozen
- 1 Cup Carrots Chopped Fine
- 1/3 Cup Mushrooms Baby Bella, chopped fine
- 2 Cans Soup Cream of Mushroom, or Cream of Chicken Soup
- 2 Cups White Rice uncooked Long Grain
- 4 Cups Water
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13″ baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a pie dish, whisk together the flour, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Coat each side of each pork chop with the flour.
- Heat a skillet to medium high heat.
- Add a drizzle of oil and cook each pork chop until golden, about 4 minutes, flipping to cook the other side. About 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove to a plate.
- Stir together the soup, rice, water, peas, carrots, and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and stir again.
- Top with the pork chops and an additional sprinkle of paprika over the whole dish for color.
- Place in the baking dish and bake for 90 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with parsley if desired.
Weeknight Meal RECIPES
Looking for more quick and easy weeknight meal recipes? Here are just a few to get you started: Mexican Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice Casserole, Fiesta Chicken and Rice, One Skillet Cheddar Broccoli Rice with Kielbasa, Creamy Chicken with White and Wild Rice Casserole, and finally our super popular Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice Casserole.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.