Melt in your mouth chocolate desserts are what the holidays are all about and these oreo peanut butter truffles are calling my name for sure!
The holidays are the perfect time to bring family and friends together…but that’s so easy this year in the way it was years past. So even though it may not be possible to gather everyone together as usual, we can still spread cheer by giving service and goodies! These delicious Oreo Peanut Butter Truffles are the perfect sweet to give during the holidays. Consider making this Homemade Caramel Sauce or a hot cocoa mix as a gift to go along with these delicious truffles!
What is an Oreo Peanut Butter Truffle?
Oreo peanut butter truffles are one of the easiest treats you can possible make this holiday season! A truffle generally included a smooth or semi-smooth filling, such as ganache, and an outer coating of chocolate, cocoa powder, flaked coconut, nuts, etc. We skip the ganache in this recipe and use Oreos, cream cheese, and peanut butter, and then coat them in white chocolate. The addition of the crushed peanuts is always optional, but the peanuts give the truffles more texture and depth of flavor.
What Type of Oreos Should I Use?
For this recipe, double stuffed Oreos are preferable. If you use regular Oreos, then you will need more cream cheese to replace the extra double stuffed filling. It is not recommended to buy crumb Oreos that you would use for a tart crust, as there is no filling at all in them.
How Do You Make Perfectly Round Truffles?
In short, you don’t if you are doing this by hand. I know it is nice to have those perfectly round truffles like you see at gourmet stores, but they use specialized equipment and machines that we don’t have at home. If it’s really important to you to have perfectly round truffles, use a cake pop mold. This is a great option, and allows your hands to stay cleaner during the process.
If you like that homemade, rustic feel, rolling the truffles by hand is perfect! They may not all be perfectly round, but they will be pretty close if you take your time rolling each one.
Choosing the Right White Chocolate for Dipping Truffles
Whatever you do, do NOT use a bag of white chocolate chips from the store for dipping the truffles. Chocolate chips are made to hold their shape. Have you ever melted a bowl of chocolate chips and noticed how thick the chocolate is? Now imagine trying to dip a delicate truffle in that thick chocolate. It won’t be easy, and your truffles will not keep their shape.
Instead, use compound chocolate. When making truffles, I almost always use vanilla white chocolate A’peels(often Guittard). The chocolate disks melt beautifully, and the truffles will have a beautiful, thin white chocolate coating that complements the Oreo peanut butter flavor. For a more in depth look at chocolate and candy making, visit Baker Street Society and check out the Chocolate and Holiday Treats sections. There is a ton of great info to help with all of your candy making needs.
How to Make Oreo Peanut Butter Truffles
- Blend Oreos.
- Cream Oreos, cream cheese, and peanut butter in a stand mixer.
- Scoop with a tablespoon cookie scoop and roll into balls. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Melt white chocolate and dip truffles one at a time with a fork or dipping tool. Transfer to a clean piece of wax paper to dry.
- Top with crushed peanuts before chocolate dries if desired.
More Candy Recipes You’ll Love:
- Chocolate Covered Coconut Balls
- White Chocolate Peppermint Cream Cheese Mints
- Salted Caramel Pretzel Snaps
- Red Velvet Truffles
- Salted Milk Chocolate Homemade Caramels
- Rocky Road Fudge
- 6 Minute Microwave Caramels
- Twix Ritz
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles
- All our CANDY RECIPES here!
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Oreo Peanut Butter Truffles
- 38 Double Stuffed Oreos (family pack size)
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 5 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup crushed peanuts
- 1 lb Vanilla white chocolate A'peels
- Place Oreos in a food processor or blender and blender really well until the crumb is fairly fine and has no chunks left.
- Pour Oreos into a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and add peanut butter and cream cheese. Mix until combined and there are no creamy streaks showing. Mixture should come together somewhat, but may still be a little crumbly.
- Use a tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop the mixture into balls. Roll each one by hand and place on a small tray lined with parchment or wax paper.Place in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt white chocolate in the microwave in a bowl for 30-60 second intervals until fully melted. Stir occasionally.
- Remove truffles from freezer. Drop one truffle into the white chocolate, making sure to spoon some chocolate over the top of it to fully coat it. Use a fork or dipping tool to gently lift the truffle out of the chocolate, and gently tap the excess chocolate off into the bowl.
- Slide the truffle onto a clean piece of wax paper and top with crushed peanuts if desired. Repeat with remaining truffles, and reheat chocolate if needed.
- Refrigerate truffles and keep in a covered container. Truffles stay good for one week.