This Peach Coffee Cake with streusel topping is the perfect recipe for late summer. Moist vanilla cake, juicy peaches and crunchy cinnamon streusel. Make it with fresh or canned peaches – either way, you’ll love this easy coffee cake recipe.
Does Coffee Cake Have Caffeine?
Coffee cake is a moist, tender cake that is served alongside coffee or tea at breakfast.
Today, coffee cakes rarely contain coffee. Most are simple, one-flavored cakes that feature fruit, spices, or nuts, and feature a streusel or simple glaze topping, if any.
Since coffee cakes do not contain coffee, they do not have caffeine.
Late summer is one of my favorite times of the year. The weather is hot, the sun is shining, and grocery stores are full of fresh summer produce. As a child, my parents would typically take their holidays in late summer – so it always meant that we’d get a little extra spoiled too.
Of course, nowadays summer is a lot busier than it was back then. But in late summer I always try to make it home for a visit. We’ll sit on the back deck reading and relaxing, and it’s always good to have a perfect summer treat to enjoy at the same time.
And that’s exactly what this Peach Coffee Cake is for. It’s a moist, perfectly soft, buttery vanilla cake. Then there’s a layer of juicy peaches, cinnamon streusel topping, and a drizzle of vanilla glaze.
What are the Best Peaches for Baking?
You want to find freestone peaches because they are sweeter and easier to work with. For a list of my favorite freestone peaches, head to our peach cobbler post!
Could You Use Canned Peaches Instead of Fresh in Peach Coffee Cake?
Fresh peaches make this coffee cake perfect for late summer or early fall.
But if you only have canned peaches on hand, they’ll work too.
How to Make Peach Coffee Cake
For this recipe, we’ll first make the streusel topping. Flour, white sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon are tossed together. Then melted butter is stirred in until it resembles wet sand. It might look like you have a lot of streusel topping, but some will melt into the batter as the cake bakes.
Then to make the cake we first cream together the butter and sugar. Then the vanilla and eggs are mixed in, followed by the sour cream. The dry ingredients are slowly mixed in alternating with the milk, and then the batter is ready.
The vanilla cake batter is poured into the pan, followed by a layer of peaches, and then the streusel is crumbled on top.
After the cake is done baking and fully cooled, I added a drizzle of glaze for extra pizzaz. It’s optional, but definitely recommended.
The combination of buttery vanilla cake, sweet peaches, and cinnamon streusel makes this peach coffee cake the perfect recipe for breakfast, brunch or dessert. And if you’re looking for a delicious recipe to use up all your fresh summer peaches, then this recipe is definitely for you!
Can Peach Coffee Cake with Streusel Topping be Frozen?
Yes, to freeze: wrap coffee cake tightly with aluminum foil or plastic freezer wrap, or place in heavy-duty freezer bag.
How long does coffee cake last in the freezer? Properly stored, it will maintain best quality for about 2 to 3 months, but will remain safe beyond that time.
More Sweet Breakfast Options:
- Buttermilk Pancakes
- Apple Pie Slow Cooker Oatmeal
- Orange Sweet Rolls
- Dutch Baby Pancakes
- Classic French Toast
- Cinnamon Rolls
- Blueberry French Toast Bake
- Homemade Yogurt
- Cinnamon Roll Pigs in a Blanket
- Peach Coffee Cake
- Liege Waffles
- Slow Cooker Overnight Steel Cut Oats
- All our BREAKFAST RECIPES!
Peach Coffee Cake with Streusel Topping
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Peach Coffee Cake with Streusel Topping
For the Streusel
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
For the Cake
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, room temperature
- 1/3 cup buttermilk room temperature*
- 3-4 peaches peeled & sliced
For the Vanilla Glaze
- 3 tablespoons cream or half-and-half
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Grease and lightly flour a 9 inch round springform pan.
Make the Streusel
- To make the streusel stir together the flour, sugars and cinnamon. Then stir in the melted butter & set aside.
Make the Cake
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Then in a separate large bowl using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Then mix in the vanilla and the eggs.
- On low speed, beat in the sour cream. Then slowly add in the flour mixture, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Then place the sliced peaches on top to create an even layer. Crumble the streusel between your palms to form pieces, then sprinkle the streusel over top of of the peaches.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45-55 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean and there's no wobble in the middle of the cake.
- After removing the cake from the oven trace around the edges of the pan with a sharp thin knife, and allow the cake to cool in the pan.
Make the Glaze & Serve
- In a medium bowl whisk together the cream & powdered sugar. You may need to add a little more cream or powdered sugar as necessary.
- Release the clip on the springform pan. Then cut the cake into pieces and drizzle with the glaze.
If you love peaches – make sure to try this Lemon Jello Peach Pie. A delicious peach pie with flaky pastry crust that’s perfect for peach season AND easy to make!
Or if you love coffee cake, make sure to try this Blueberry Coffee Cake. It’s a buttery, fluffy vanilla cake dotted with blueberries and topped with crumble.
These pancakes are light and fluffy with a hint of cinnamon in the batter. Seriously delicious!