Blueberries make the most beautiful desserts! I mean, just look at that color, and let’s not forget that they are such delicious little orbs of sweetness and tartness. This Simple Blueberry Pie is the best way to celebrate the summer blueberry season!
Growing up in Vancouver, WA, there were wild blueberries all over the place. Most people grew blueberries in their gardens, and you could go to any number of nearby farms to pick fresh blueberries by the bucket full. They are a little harder to come by here in Utah, so when summer hits and the price drops, I load up! I haven’t always been so excited about blueberries though.
I have a clear memory of biting into a blueberry as a child and seeing the greenish middle and absolutely freaking out. It took me a long time to get on board with the blueberry, but let me tell you, I am totally on board the blueberry train now!
Pumped Up on Pie Crust
This pie starts with my mom’s fail proof magic pie crust. It turns out like pie crust perfection every time! I hear a lot of people say they are scared to make pie and it seems most fear stems from making the crust. Make this recipe and you’ll have success every single time!
Blueberry pies lend themselves to beautiful pie top crusts. You can do a lattice like we did here or any other pattern or cutouts that you like. Get creative! Good golly I love pie crust! It’s my favorite part of any pie…is that weird? It probably is weird, but it’s just sooooo good!
Once you have the crust prepared, you can work on the filling. Now hold on to your seats for this…you just toss everything in a bowl and mix it together. That’s it! No precooking needed! You’re welcome and woop woop!
Can You Use Frozen Berries?
We much prefer fresh blueberries for this pie, but frozen berries can be used if you have no other option. Sometimes you need blueberry pie when blueberries just aren’t in season, I totally get it! If you have to use frozen blueberries, add the blueberries without thawing them first. You may need to increase the baking time to get everything cooked through.
Using Ultra Gel
Ultra Gel is our favorite way to thicken a pie! You can always use flour (which we include directions for), cornstarch, or tapioca, but we are all about the Ultra Gel. It is a gluten-free, non-GMO cornstarch that can be added directly to any liquid, hot or cold, for instant thickening, without the starchy, chalky taste of flour or corn starch. It also keeps the fruit clear and shiny instead of cloudy. You can grab a big back on Amazon or at the grocery store and it will last forever. We love it!
Can Blueberry Pie be Frozen?
The answer is yes, and here are the details of how it’s done! Make the pie as usual and place it in the freezer uncooked and uncovered for an hour or two until the crust is hard. Then you can wrap it in plastic wrap, then foil, and then a ziplock freezer bag. The two gallon size works perfectly!
When you are ready to eat the pie, pull it out of the freezer and preheat your oven. Bake the pie just like the recipe says, but you probably will need to add about 20 minutes to get the middle bubbly.
Are Blueberries Healthy?
Blueberries are extremely healthy! They are an antioxidant superfood packed with phytoflavinoids (which are compounds that protect our bodies from stress), and high in potassium and vitamin C. Not only can they lower your risk of heart disease and cancer, they are also anti-inflammatory. We should probably eat blueberry pie every single day then!
Blueberries Go with Everything
I have one more plug for blueberries. They are so versatile! They go with just about everything! You name a fruit, nut or meal, and I’ll give you a recipe that includes blueberries. Here’s proof:
- Coconut and blueberry – muffins
- Lemon and blueberry – cheesecake squares or cupcakes
- Banana and blueberry – overnight oats
- Peach and blueberry – crumble
- Pecan and blueberry – pancakes
Ok, so maybe not every meal, but we for sure have you covered for breakfast and dessert!
- Honey Blueberry Cheese Danish
- Coconut Blueberry Muffins
- Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Squares
- Banana Blueberry Overnight Oats
- Lemon Blueberry No Bake Cheesecake
- Healthy Wild Blueberry Cottage Cheese Pancakes Blueberry French Toast Bake 3 Ways
- Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes
- Blueberry Peach Crumble
- Chocolate Blueberry Quinoa Bark
- Blueberry Fluff Fruit Dip.
If you want to try a different pie crust, try this food processor method pie crust!
Preorder our new book!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Simple Blueberry Pie
- 1 Double Pie Crust Recipe
1 Double Pie Crust Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Ultra Gel *see notes for substitutes
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Lemon Zested *optional
- 5 cups Blueberries Fresh
- 1 Egg Large
- 1 Tablespoon Water
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- Prepare the pie crust, diving the dough into two circles. Roll one out and place in the bottom of a pie tin.
- Roll the second piece of dough and cut into strips for a lattice top.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream, ultra gel, brown sugar and lemon zest.
- Add blueberries and toss to coat.
- Pour all of the blueberries into the pie and proceed with the lattice top.
- If you know how to do a lattice, proceed as normal, otherwise watch this quick video on how to make a lattice pie crust.
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees while the pie rests in the fridge.
- Whisk the egg and water.
- Brush the lattice top with the egg mixture and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or plain sugar. We like to use equal parts white and brown sugar.
- Cook the pie for 20 minutes then turn down to 375 for an additional 25-30 min.
- Remove the pie and allow to cool and then place in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.