Americans love a juicy hamburger, but what if you could turn it into an easy soup recipe perfect all year round? The Ultimate Cheeseburger Soup is here!
Easy Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
There’s nothing quite like a hot bowl of soup on those windy, chilly fall days, and we think it’s even better when it’s a comfort food mashup like this cheeseburger soup recipe.
We’ve seen everyone posting about cheeseburger soup, which apparently originated with Taste of Home and I can see why they’ve been so excited. It’s all the awesomeness of a cheeseburger in your favorite form of comfort food, soup.
Cheeseburger Soup Ingredients
This bacon cheeseburger soup recipe is essentially a hamburger potato soup that’s had a healthy amount of cheese stirred in. We packed this soup with as many veggies as possible to add both flavor and texture, plus half and half to make it ultra thick and creamy. Here’s what you’ll need to make this cheeseburger soup recipe:
- Ground beef
- All-purpose flour
- Shredded cheese
- Hamburger buns
- Matchstick carrots
- Worcestershire sauce
- Brown sugar
- Beef broth
- Red potatoes
- Half and half
What’s the Best Beef for Cheeseburger Soup?
We start with ground chuck. You can ask your butcher to do that for you or even go for a ground sirloin if you’d like, heck you can even do a burger blend from the butcher, which often includes bacon being ground into it. Whichever you choose, it’s going to be more flavorful than just a regular lean ground beef.
How to Make Cheeseburger Soup
This cheeseburger soup takes just 10 minutes to prep, then it needs to simmer on the stove for 30 minutes to cook the potatoes and bring the flavors together. Here’s how to make cheeseburger soup:
- Brown the ground beef, then set aside.
- In a bowl, toss the cheese, cornstarch, and flour together.
- Toast the hamburger buns in an oiled skillet. Season with salt to taste.
- In a Dutch oven or stockpot, saute the onions, celery, garlic, and carrots in melted butter.
- Stir in the cheese mixture, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar.
- Add in the broth, half and half, browned beef, and potatoes.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Once you’re ready to serve, pile on the garnishes — chives, crumbled bacon, more cheese, and hamburger bun croutons!
Can I Make Cheeseburger Soup with Ground Turkey?
We prefer making this bacon cheeseburger soup recipe with good quality ground beef, but you’re welcome to use ground turkey if you prefer. Just note that turkey doesn’t have as much fat or flavor as ground beef, so you may want to brown the turkey in an oiled skillet.
Does it Matter What Type of Cheese I Use?
Not really! We prefer using a sharp or medium cheddar cheese in this easy fall soup recipe, but any cheese will work. You’ll want to use a cheese that melts well and that you can shred easily. Pretty much any cheese you’d find on a cheeseburger will work, like provolone, pepperjack, swiss, or cheddar.
Can You Freeze Cheeseburger Soup?
You can cool to room temp and freeze for up to 6 months if you used fresh ground beef that had not been frozen before cooking. When you’re ready to enjoy the cheeseburger soup, let it first thaw overnight in the fridge.
Tips for Making Cheeseburger Soup
A quick note about the potatoes in this hamburger potato soup: you’ll notice they are about ¾- to 1-inch chunks. However, as we’ve made this bacon cheeseburger soup more and more we’ve decided we like them smaller and we prefer peeled red potatoes as they are creamier, which fits in well with a cheeseburger soup.
For the cheese, we recommend buying a block of cheese and shredding it yourself. Pre-shredded cheese is often coated with cornstarch to prevent it from clumping, which may alter the texture of this cheeseburger soup.
Lastly, you’re welcome to garnish your cheeseburger soup with whatever you’d like! We like adding crumbled bacon and chives to our soup, but you can keep things as simple as you’d like.
More Fall Soup Recipes:
- Healthy Instant Pot Turkey Chili
- Instant Pot Taco Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Slow Cooker Turkey Taco Chili
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Cheesy Ground Beef Enchilada Chili
The Ultimate Cheeseburger Soup
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 3 Cups Shredded Cheese medium, or sharp
- 3 Hamburger Buns cubed
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/3 Cup Butter
- 2 Cloves of Garlic minced
- 1 Onion minced
- 2 Stalks of Celery minced
- 1 Cup Matchstick Carrots roughly chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Worcestershire
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 Large Red potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 Cups Beef Broth
- 3 Cups Half and Half or Milk
- 1 Cup Bacon cooked and crumbled for garnish
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheese for garnish
- 2 Tablespoons Chives minced
- Prepare all of the vegetables.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the ground beef and cook for 5 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking up the meat as it cooks.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the cheese, cornstarch and flour together.
- In a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, add the oil and hamburger buns and sprinkle with a little salt, stirring occasionally until golden and toasted.
- Set aside.
- In a dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat, add the butter and allow it to melt down.
- Add the garlic, onions, carrots and celery and stir occasionally until tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the brown sugar, Worcestershire and cheese mixture.
- Quickly add the broth and cream and stir to combine.
- Add the meat and potatoes and allow to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook an additional 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Serve with cheese, bacon, chives and those golden buns. Enjoy!