Ummmmm, I kind of am more excited about this whole wheat buttermilk pancake recipe than any other recipe right now. I seriously have no words. If you thought you loved our buttermilk pancakes get ready for a healthier version that tastes just as blasted delicious.
It’s actually 10 pm while I write this and all I can think is, how awesome would it be to bust out some fluffy pancakes and just devour the heck out of them with Cade while the kids are asleep. Maybe I’d even make some warm peanut butter maple syrup. Oh, my gosh, now I’m dying over here! I am totally craving more pancakes!
It’s silly, but I seriously love doing little things like that once the kids are asleep. I’ll make or buy some totally awesome treat (ummm hello key lime pie milkshake) and we totally veg out like we are 20 somethings again. Do we feel it the next day? Why yes, yes we do as we are totally getting old and our bedtime is the earliest it’s been since I was in like Jr High, but every once in a while it feels so nice just to chill and eat something wonderful. And wonderful these pancakes are. So, put the kids to bed and make up a batch then cuddle up on the couch and pretend that the whole wheat makes them healthy. Or I guess you could make them for the whole family for breakfast too. It’s up to you.
Are Whole Wheat Pancakes Healthy?
Whole wheat flour, like all whole grains, is a good source of carbohydrates, which provide energy.
Whole grains provide soluble and insoluble fiber.
Soluble fiber helps slow absorption of sugar into your blood and can lower cholesterol.
Insoluble fiber helps you avoid constipation.
The fiber in whole grains helps you feel full, thereby aiding in weight loss and maintenance.
Whole wheat flour is an excellent source of B-vitamins.
Then when you add the benefits of eggs and milk, whole wheat pancakes are a healthy breakfast.
Is Buttermilk Sour Milk?
No, buttermilk is not sour milk, they are different.
Buttermilk is made by adding a lactic acid bacteria to regular pasteurized milk.
Sour milk is made by adding vinegar or lemon juice to regular milk.
Sour milk can be substituted for buttermilk in recipes.
What Can You Substitute For Buttermilk?
For each cup of buttermilk, you can use 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice plus enough milk to measure 1 cup.
Just stir, and then let it sit for about 5 minutes.
You can also use plain yogurt in place of buttermilk.
Another substitute for buttermilk is 1-3/4 teaspoons cream of tartar plus 1 cup milk.
More PANCAKES Recipes:
- Melt in Your Mouth Buttermilk Pancakes
- Meyer Lemon Pancakes
- White Chocolate Blueberry Pancakes
- Cinnamon Burst Pancakes
- Glazed Donuts Pancakes
- Maple Bar Pancakes
- Melt in Your Mouth Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pie Pancakes
- Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Pancakes
- Brown Sugar Peach Pancakes
- Carrot Cake Pancakes
- Healthy Wild Blueberry Cottage Cheese Pancakes
- Skinny Strawberry Shortcake Gluten Free Pancakes
- Melt in Your Mouth Sour Cream Pancakes
- Blueberry Pecan Pancakes
- All our SWEET BREAKFAST RECIPES here!
Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes
Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour , *or whole wheat flour see note
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs, slightly whisked
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted and melted
- Preheat a griddle to medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the salt, baking powder, baking soda, flours and sugar. The whole wheat flour will not completely sift through so once it's not moving through anymore just dump it in the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and buttermilk.
- drizzle in the butter as you continue to whisk.
- switch to a wooden spoon and make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients.
- pour in the wet ingredients and stir until almost completely combined. Please remember, the more you stir pancakes the more flat and tough they will be so please mix until a few streaks of flour are remaining. The batter will be very thick, this is normal.
- butter the griddle and scoop 1/3 cup of batter and cook until bubbles begin to form, flip and cook until golden.
- serve immediately.
Then ULTIMATE buttermilk pancakes
Greetings from a Pakistani Kitchen! I want to thank you for an amazing pancake recipe that is not only delicious but healthy too. These pancakes are melted in my mouth. One of the best things about your recipe is that it does not use a ton of butter (for batter). This will be a regular in our house 🙂
meant these pancakes melted in my mouth*
Thank you so much!! We are so grateful for your feedback and support!
I made it this morning – halved the recipe. Absolutely marvelous. I usually clarify the butter on the grill so I guess this also enhanced the flavor.
Kayle (The Cooking Actress)
these pancakes are EPIC!!! They look so perfect
Carrian! Hats off to you, these were AMAZING. I had leftover buttermilk from Thanksgiving and hate seeing it go to waste and these were the perfect Wednesday pick-me-up! Thank you!
Yay!! I’m so, so glad! We love these pancakes!
Liz @ Floating Kitchen
These look like the perfect midnight snack…or a 9pm snack which is now my ideal bed time!!
OOOOOH, I am craving these pancakes so much right now!!!
Carrian, these look outstanding!! Hope you and your sweet family had a nice Thanksgiving!!
MMMMMM! I am so hungry now. These look so fluffy and delicious!
I’m all about a fluffy pancake!