These homemade chocolate chip pancakes are ultra fluffy and are studded with chocolate chips. Sorry, Mom, this recipe is better than yours!
The Best Chocolate Chip Pancake Recipe
Sorry, Mom, I adore you more than the pancakes, but I also think my recipe for chocolate chip pancakes is better than what we grew up eating. To make these easy homemade pancakes, all you have to do is make one little change to our recipe for Melt in Your Mouth Buttermilk Pancakes and your husband will want to marry you all over again. But seriously, he will.
What’s the secret to making the world’s best chocolate chip pancakes? It’s all about that last swirl of melted butter. I don’t understand why butter is so wonderful, but it is. It can make an entire recipe so much better, but then you brown the butter and oh my sweet mercy, it is heaven!!
That’s right, to make these insanely good homemade chocolate chip pancakes you first brown the butter before adding it to the pancake batter. Trust us, this one little step makes a big difference!
Chocolate Chip Pancakes Ingredients
We didn’t change the classic chocolate chip pancake recipe much, because it’s great as is! As such, these easy pancakes use all pantry staples:
- Unsalted butter
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Chocolate chips
How to Make Chocolate Chip Pancakes
If the notion of browning butter scares you, don’t be put off! I promise these chocolate chip pancakes are a cinch to make. Here are the basics to making chocolate chip pancakes from scratch:
- Brown the butter.
- Mix together the wet ingredients in one bowl and the dry in another.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry before folding in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the pancake batter onto a preheated griddle and flip once tiny bubbles begin forming on the top of the pancakes.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Our Favorite Pancake Toppings
These chocolate chip pancakes can be topped so many ways! Keep things simple with warm maple syrup and a dusting of powdered sugar. Or branch out a bit and try one of the following pancake toppings:
- Coconut Buttermilk Syrup
- Meyer Lemon Syrup
- Creamy Buttermilk Maple Syrup
- Peanut Butter Maple Syrup
- Blender Lemon Curd
- Raspberry Sauce
- Classic Buttermilk Syrup
Can You Freeze Pancakes?
Absolutely! Freezing pancakes is a breeze. Simply let them cool completely, then lay them on a baking sheet in a single layer. Place the baking sheet in the freezer until the pancakes are set, then stack them in a freezer bag.
How to Reheat Pancakes
To reheat chocolate chip pancakes, either warm them in the microwave for 15-second intervals or place them in the toaster. You can reheat frozen pancakes without thawing them first.
Tips for Making the Best Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Browning butter is really easy…and even easier to screw up. You’ll want to cook it until golden brown, but not too dark and immediately pull it not only off of the burner but pour it into a bowl to cool so it doesn’t continue to cook. It should smell a little nutty and you may get excited just by the look of it.
When stirring the wet ingredients into the dry, make sure you don’t over work the pancake batter. The more you stir the batter, the flatter your chocolate chip pancakes will turn out!
You can use any type of chocolate chips you’d like in this chocolate chip pancake recipe. Our family likes semi-sweet chocolate chips, but use your favorite!
More PANCAKES Recipes:
- The BEST Buttermilk Pancake Recipe
- Meyer Lemon Pancakes
- White Chocolate Blueberry Pancakes
- Cinnamon Burst Pancakes
- Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes
- Glazed Donuts Pancakes
- Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pie Pancakes
- Brown Sugar Peach Pancakes
- Carrot Cake Pancakes
- Melt in Your Mouth Sour Cream Pancakes
- All our SWEET BREAKFAST RECIPES here!
Better Than Mom’s Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Better Than Mom's Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour , sifted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 eggs , slightly whisked
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup chocolate chips , plus more for topping
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the butter and cook, stirring with a whisk, until golden and foamy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Quickly pour into a bowl to cool.
- Preheat a griddle to medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the salt, baking powder, baking soda, flour and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and buttermilk.
- Drizzle in the butter as you continue to whisk.
- Switch to a wooden spoon and make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients.
- Pour in the wet ingredients and chocolate chips and stir until almost completely combined. Please remember, the more you stir pancakes the more flat and tough they will be so please mix until a few streaks of flour are remaining.
- Butter the griddle and scoop ⅓ cup of batter and cook until bubbles begin to form, flip and cook until golden.
- Serve immediately.