Sooooooo, we kinda forgot that this pie dish is bigger than normal so we forgot to double the apples, hence the mound being lower than the crust.It was still yummy though! But seriously, how can you go wrong with apple pie? Everyone loves a good, thick slice of tasty apple pie. Especially hot out of the oven with a little dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side. YUM! Although we love our apple pie just as much as the next person, we don’t love super mushy apples in a pie so these do have the tiniest bit of bite to them. Hardly though, so when you are making it don’t think that they are going to be crunchy.
Cade, my husband, is actually a really great pie maker. It always turns out so perfect. We hope you enjoy a little apple pie at Thanksgiving this year!!!
Can You Freeze Unbaked Apple Pie?
To freeze an unbaked pie, wrap pie tightly or place in a plastic freezer bag.
Freeze unbaked apple pie for up to 3 months.
Does Apple Pie Need To Be Refrigerated?
You can keep baked apple pie at room temperature for 2-3 days.
Refrigerated, apple pie will keep for 4-6 days.
Can You Reheat Apple Pie?
You can reheat apple pie in the oven or in the microwave.
To reheat in the oven, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Lightly cover the pie with foil and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Cade’s Apple Pie
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Cade's Apple Pie
(double for double crust apple pie)
- 1 1/3 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Cup Shortening
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 3-4 Tablespoons Water Ice
(You can do whatever mixture of apples you like.)
- 2 Apples Large Honey Crisp
- 2 Apples Large Gala
- 2 Apples Large Granny Smith
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
For the Crust
- Stir together the flour and salt.
- Cut in shortening until pieces are the size of small peas.
- Mound the flour in the center of the bowl. Sprinkle one tablespoon over part of the mixture and gently toss with a fork.
- Push the moistened part to the side of the bowl and continue until all is moistened.
- Form dough into a ball and place on a floured surface.
- Flatten dough slightly with hands and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 10-20 min.
- Roll the dough on a floured surface.
- Place in pie pan. (If you are doing a double crust pie you need to double the recipe and keep one ball in the fridge until ready to cover the pie. Remove it a few min before you roll it so it wont be too cold)
- If you have the time, I recommend blind baking the bottom crust before adding the filling. Totally optional, but I love the result! *see note
For the Filling
- Heat oven to 375
- Peel and slice the apples and place in a large microwaveable bowl.
- Pour in all of the other ingredients and toss to coat.
- Microwave for 3-7 min depending on how much of a bite you want on the apple.
- Fill your pie with the apples and cover with remaining pie dough.
- Take your thumb and pointer finger as if you are showing how big 1/2 inch is. Turn your hand so that your fingers are flat against the pie plate.Use your other hand to push your pointer finger between the other two fingers creating your pie edge (see picture below).
- Bake for 20-25 min.