Are you all gearing up for Cinco De Mayo?? Even if you don’t technically celebrate the holiday it’s a great excuse to grab some friends and have a ton of delicious food. Especially when you get to eat the cafe rio pork recipe.
If you live in Utah you probably eat at either Cafe Rio or Costa Vida for quick Mexican. Both have a delicious sweet pork that everyone and their mom tries to re-create. We have tried Coke and brown sugar, enchilada sauce and brown sugar, Dr Pepper and brown sugar, a combination of both, some from scratch with onions and peppers etc, but none have wowed us. Don’t get me wrong, they are ok, just nothing that we need to make again. This recipe is our FAVORITE way to make the pork. Hands down the best sweet pork. The recipe comes from our friends, Tabby and Jordan. A few months back the hubs was in a little bike accident and I just so happened to be working up in Salt Lake that week so they brought him and our little one dinner. We were instantly hooked on their version of Sweet Pork.
Not wanting to make sweet pork for cinco de mayo? No problem! Scroll to the bottom of the post to click on other Mexican favorites!
Don’t you love juicy pork???
Is Pork Lower In Fat Than Beef?
Pork is generally leaner than beef.
Many cuts of pork are as lean or leaner than chicken, and provide a greater amount of vitamins and minerals.
Can Pork Be Cooked In a Slow Cooker?
Pork can be safely cooked in a slow cooker or crock pot.
Season pork, cover with a lid and cook for 6-8 hours on low.
What Is A Good Substitute For Brown Sugar?
White sugar in an equal amount will work ok.
Or, you can add 2 tablespoons molasses to every cup of substituted white sugar and you will not be able to tell the difference.
Cafe Rio Pork Recipe
Cafe Rio Pork Recipe
- Pork sirloin tip roast or we like a Pork Shoulder too.
- 1 can Dr. Pepper
- 1 bottle red taco sauce We used Pace Mild, but do as you please
- 1-2 cups packed brown sugar We use 1 1/2 Cups usually, but do it by taste
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- fresh cilantro chopped
- Combine sauce in crock pot and then add pork.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or if you are in a hurry do high for 5-6.
- Shred pork two hours before the end and let it continue to cook in the sauce.
- We like to cook up some tortillas, the whole wheat uncooked tortillas are wonderful or just the regular are good, but definitely buy the uncooked ones so they are more fresh.
Place rice and pork in the tortilla (we did add black beans too). Scroll below if you need a good Spanish Rice recipe.
Top with lettuce and salsa of choice. We usually eat ours with a Creamy Tomatillo dressing too, but I didn’t make it this time. That recipe can be found under the Cafe Rio Chicken post. Enjoy!
Cinco De Mayo Recipe Ideas