These Homemade Fruity Pebbles Rice Krispie Treats are super gooey thanks to the extra marshmallows used in the recipe! We top ours with sea salt to amp up the sweet-salty flavor! Add a little rainbow to your favorite rice krispie treats!
I was browsing Instagram and was seeing photo after photo of what appeared to be fruity pebbles in rice krispy treat form. Whhhhaaaat? How fun and smart is that?! Our kids had totally asked once if we could make rice krispies with fruity pebbles and I had completely forgotten.
I noticed something pretty important through my search though, it appeared to be a baking challenge that people were posting about and no one was sharing a recipe. Some krispie treats looked flat and dry while others looked a funny orange color. I immediately started testing and discovered there are in fact two things that make a perfect rice krispie treat…
- Do not use only fruity pebbles. The over the top flavor of the fruity pebbles was too much, so we began throwing in a little regular rice krispies cereal to add balance.
- Forget all recipes and stick with our gooey rice krispie treats recipe. It has more buttery, gooey marshmallow goodness and that dash of salt and vanilla is ESSENTIAL for the overly sweet fruit cereal.
Ingredients Needed for Fruity Pebbles Rice Krispie Treats
Put your fat pants on and get ready for the most gooey buttery delicious rice krispie treats gone wild! The kids go crazy for them, and I can’t keep my hands off them either! Here is what you will need:
- Mini Marshmallows (as fresh as possible)
- Rice Krispies Cereal
- Fruity Pebbles Cereal
- Marshmallow Fluff
- Sea Salt
The exact measurements can be found in the recipe card at the end of the post.
How to Make Fruity Pebbles Rice Krispie Treats
This recipe will make a 9×9 inch pan, or can be doubled to a 9×13 inch pan. Spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray. Use foil or parchment paper to make a sling to lift the treats out when they have cooled. You can use the stove top method or microwave method for making these treats.
In a large pot, add the butter, marshmallow fluff, salt and 8 cups of mini marshmallows over medium heat and melt everything until it is smooth.
PRO TIP: Don’t turn up the heat past medium! It will heat up the marshmallows and will start to turn the sugar in the marshmallows into candy which means when they cool, they will be hard. No thank you!
In a large microwave-safe bowl, add the butter, marshmallow fluff, salt and 8 cups of mini marshmallows and microwave in 30-second increments stirring every time until everything is totally smooth and melted.
Add the vanilla to the melted marshmallows and stir it in. Add the rice krispies and fruity pebbles cereals to the bowl (or pot) and mix everything together well. This is where you will add the rest of the marshmallows.
Pour the whole mixture into your pan and press it down.
PRO TIP: Use a spoon or spatula brushed with butter or sprayed with cooking spray to gently press the sticky mixture into the pan. Don’t smash it down! You want the bars to be easy to bite and chew when they cool.
Allow it to cool to room temperature before cutting and serving. I love to use this scaper to cut them into bars.
Variations on Fruity Pebbles Treats
Don’t limit yourself to just Fruity Pebbles! You can totally swap them out for your favorite Flintstone cereal! Cocoa Pebbles would be delish! You could even add some mini chocolate chips to make them extra chocolatey! I’ve tried these with the Cinnamon Pebbles and YOWZA! It is goooooood! Add a little dash of cinnamon into the marshmallows…yep!
And I haven’t tried the Peanut Butter & Cocoa Pebbles yet, but PB and chocolate together is always right! If you haven’t tried our scotcheroos or Reese’s rice krispies treats, they are both a must!
Are Fruity Pebbles Gluten Free?
Fruity Pebbles are gluten free! So all our gluten free friends can totally indulge in this one! If you swap the butter for coconut oil, then this can be dairy free too!
How to Store Rice Krispie Treats
Rice Krispie treats can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days. They can also be frozen for up to 6 weeks.
Rice Krispie Treat for One
Let’s just say it has been a long day with a lot of whining and complaining from some young people in your life and they are finally in bed and you need a treat. You can make this Fruity Pebbles treat for one! Follow the directions on our rice krispie treat in a mug and split the cereal in half…half rice krispies and half Fruity P’s.
Everyone needs a little color in their life, and what better way to do that than with Fruity Pebbles rice krispie treats?! The kids love them, and adults can’t resist them!
Watch the video!
If you love these, then you have to try these other BAR DESSERTS:
- Scotcheroos Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats
- Mom’s Famous Caramel Brownies
- Lemon Raspberry Bars
- Brookie Bars
- Snickerdoodle Cheesecake Bars
- Classic Lemon Bars
- Ritz Reese’s S’more Bars
- Peach Oatmeal Bars
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake Oreo Brownies
- Peanut Butter Caramel Brownies
- Twix Caramelita
- Raspberry Lemon Bars
Fruit Pebbles Rice Krispie Treats
- 5 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 10 Cups Mini Marshmallows, , divided
- 2 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 4 Cups Fruity Pebbles Cereal
- 1/3 cup Marshmallow Fluff
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt, , fine grain
- Spray a 9×9-inch pan with non-stick spray and line it with a foil or parchment paper sling. Spray again.
- In a very large microwave-safe bowl, or in a pot on the stove over medium heat, place your butter, salt, and 8 cups of mini marshmallows. Microwave in 30-second increments, or heat, stirring in between, until everything is completely melted and smooth.
- Add vanilla and marshmallow fluff and stir again.
- Pour in the rice krispies and fruity pebbles cereal and mix well.
- Add in the remaining marshmallows while still warm and lightly press into your prepared pan. *
- *Using a spoon with a little butter on it will help you press the rice krispies into the pan without it sticking all over your hands.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.
The recipe says 10 CUPS of marshmallows? Is it supposed to be a 10 oz bag? The video does not look like 8 cups of marshmallows in the bowl.
Yes, it is 10 cups of marshmallows. You melt 8 and then mix the last 2 cups into the mixture near the end. It’s so gooey! You’re going to love it!