My Mom’s famous caramel brownies are a huge tradition around here. You only need 5 ingredients and you’ve got yourself the most delicious brownies ever!
The time has come. Pull on your fat pants and pin this one before you even read the post. Yes, we realize there are caramel brownies all over the internet and pinterest but just forget about them. Ps, are you following us on Pinterest? Cause you should be. xoxo
Can Chocolate Cake Mix Make Brownies?
If you haven’t tried this trick you’ve been missing out!!!
Can chocolate cake mix make brownies?
HECK YES!!!! In fact, chocolate cake mix allows you to make brownies without eggs! All you need is butter, melted of course, and evaporated milk!
Can You Freeze Brownies?
Brownies freeze very well.
Double wrap the brownies in foil and then plastic wrap, or put in ziplock freezer bag and freeze for up to 4 months.
Let’s talk brownies. And first fights. 🙂 Yeah, this is going to be a good post.
My mom has made these caramel brownies since the beginning of time. Pretty much all of us kids would request them for our birthday treat instead of cake and every fourth of July this was what Mom brought to the Elmer’s pool party. Us kids would swim all day, almost always in the rain because hello, it was Washington, and the adults would sit around chatting until dark. I don’t even remember talking to my parents all day. It must have been a dream, all day with your best friends, delicious food, and kids totally entertaining themselves. Everyone couldn’t wait to get their hands on Mom’s caramel brownies. She’s known for them, they are that good.
But let’s get to the fight, although it really wasn’t that, more just our first moment. We were engaged and it was Cade’s 24th birthday, his golden birthday. I decided to make the famous caramel brownies and surprise him. I left them on his kitchen counter with a note and didn’t go into his apartment again for 2 days. Just busy with school and we hung out on campus or my apartment. Well when I walked in, there was the whole pan. Not a single one gone.
Cade was all about health and fitness and had no desire to eat sugar so he didn’t. What? I thought for sure his birthday would be a great reason to have something yummy and they were Mom’s famous caramel brownies! (Actually I think the recipe came from Peggy Glem originally) So in typical girl fashion, I had hurt feelings and told him so. He ate one. And it has been his favorite dessert ever since. My mom even occasionally sends him a package of them in the mail because she knows they are his guilty pleasure.
A first fight, over brownies. So what’s the secret? Well we break my favorite rule for this one, butter for everything. Instead we use margarine and look, I don’t know why but I really do prefer it. They stay gooey and yet hold up to the filling unlike other brownies and ingredients. We also only use German chocolate Cake mix from Betty Crocker. It’s a must. Anything else just doesn’t turn out the same. And the topping? Well I prefer to scoop a little into my palm, press it flat and patch work it onto the brownies, but my brother invented the saran wrap method. Just stretch saran on the counter, press the topping out flat into the size of the pan and invert it onto the brownies. I did that for these photos because it is the easier method which means 99% of you will do it, but I like the patchwork because it gives more height to the brownies. Oh, and only Kraft caramels and evaporated milk. The end.
Now go make the heck out of these and leave lots of love so my mom feels special.
How do You Know When Brownies Are Done?
Insert a toothpick in the center of the pan.
If it comes out clean, they are done.
Sometimes you want a gooey brownie, but not under-cooked.
The best method to determine doneness in this case is to watch for the brownies to slightly pull away from the edge of the pan.
Then check to see if they are “set” in the middle.
They should not wiggle when you gently shake the pan.
How do You Store Brownies?
Store in an airtight container or double wrap in foil.
If you love these, then you have to try these other BAR DESSERTS:
- Scotcheroos Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats
- Lemon Raspberry Bars
- Brookie Bars
- Snickerdoodle Cheesecake Bars
- Classic Lemon Bars
- Ritz Reese’s S’more Bars
- Peach Oatmeal Bars
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake Oreo Brownies
- Peanut Butter Caramel Brownies
- Twix Caramelita
- Raspberry Lemon Bars
Mom’s Famous Caramel Brownies
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Mom's Famous Caramel Brownies
- 1 Box Cake mix Betty Crocker, German Chocolate Cake, yes the kind matters
- 2/3 Cup Margarine Melted and cooled
- 1/3 Cup Evaporated Milk
- 1 1/2 Cups Chocolate Chips milk or semi sweet
For the Filling
- 1 Bag Caramels Kraft
- 1/3 Cup Evaporated Milk
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x13" pan with nonstick spray.
- In a bowl, mix the dry cake mix with the milk and margarine.
- Pour 1/2 the batter into the pan and gently spread it out. It will be very thick.
- Place remaining batter in the fridge.
- Place in the oven for 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, unwrap the caramels into a glass bowl and add 1/3 cup evaporated milk.
- Microwave on high for 30 second intervals, stirring between until smooth.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Pour the caramel over the chocolate.
- Remove the batter from the fridge and gently pat a tablespoon or so into the palm of your hand. If it sticks run your hands under cool water or spray with a little nonstick spray.
- Place each piece over the caramel like a patchwork quilt until all of the caramel is covered.
- You can also place saran wrap next to the pan and press the dough onto that in the exact size of the pan. Just measure by doing the length and then moving the pan to the end to measure the width. Carefully flip it onto the caramel. Bake an additional 16 minutes.
- Remove from the oven all allow to cool before serving.
- You can also place in the fridge to help the caramel really set up which makes for easier serving.