This Easy Garlic Parmesan Focaccia Bread such a simple bread recipe to make, but the flavor is outstanding! This bread is light and airy, with a yummy olive oil saltiness and the garlic and parmesan bring the whole loaf to life.
Honestly, is there a better food group out there other than carbs? I think not!
Slathering warm butter onto freshly baked artisan bread, or drizzling honey all over sweet cornbread, or taking a chunk of potato rolls and dipping into broccoli cheddar soup. Honestly there is nothing more comforting.
What is Focaccia Bread?
Focaccia bread is a flat oven-baked yeast bread that originated in Italy and is pronounced “fuh-KA-cha.” It is traditionally topped with fresh herbs, such as rosemary, and coarse salt, but it is a very versatile bread that can be altered to your liking. I’ve even seen it with raisins in it and topped with sugar or honey to make a sweet dessert bread. Yum!
Garlic Parmesan Focaccia Bread is easy to make, loaded with flavor, and to be 100% honest with you, would make THE BEST sandwich! Hello lunch tomorrow!
Ingredients Needed to Make Garlic Parmesan Focaccia Bread
Here is your grocery list if you want to make this fabulous bread! Actually, you probably have many of these already on hand, so your grocery list will be short:
- Flour Bread (or All Purpose)
- Kosher Salt
- Instant Yeast
- Olive Oil
- Parmesan Cheese
- Italian Seasoning
- Maldon Flaked Sea Salt
How to Make Garlic Parmesan Focaccia Bread Recipe
This is going to follow the same steps as your typical yeast bread, but it is so easy and forgiving. Let’s go through the steps:
Combine flour and salt in a glass bowl.
Mix the warm water, yeast and sugar and let it sit for a couple of minutes so the yeast gets foamy.
PRO TIP: Activated yeast should bubble and foam up within a few minutes if your yeast is good.
Stir the yeast mixture into the flour with a wooden spoon. You will want to stir until the dough just comes together. Then let it sit in the refrigerator for 8 hours in a bowl covered tightly in plastic wrap.
- A few hours before you are going to eat the focaccia, remove the bowl from the fridge and prepare an 8-inch round cake pan by drizzling it with olive oil.
- Place the dough in the center of the pan and tuck ends underneath then cover tightly with plastic wrap again and let it rise on the counter for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Remove the plastic from the pan and drizzle with more olive oil. Press holes down into the dough down to the bottom of the pan but don’t poke through the dough.
- Mix the garlic, cheese and herbs in a bowl and then sprinkle it all over the dough.
- Place the pan in the oven and decrease the oven to 425ºF and bake for 22-24 minutes.
Why Dimple Focaccia Dough?
A signature of focaccia bread is the dimpling on the top, but is there a purpose or is it purely cosmetic? There are differing opinions out there, but the reason that makes the most sense to me is that it increases the surface area and creates little pockets for the olive oil to collect in. This enhances the flavor and crust of the bread.
Can You Freeze Garlic Parmesan Focaccia Bread?
Wrap the baked loaf in plastic wrap and then store it in a zip-top bag or use a FoodSaver. It will last in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw it on the counter to room temperature before serving. It can also be warmed up on the oven. I love it warm!
How Long Will Focaccia Bread Keep?
Focaccia Bread will keep at room temperature, covered with plastic wrap, for 2-4 days.
Not sure if it will last that long though. Our kids DEVOUR this immediately when I make it! 😉
Garlic Parmesan Focaccia Bread would make THE BEST bread for a Caprese sandwich or to dip large warm chunks into chicken noodle soup, tomato soup, or chicken wild rice soup!
More BREAD SIDES You’ll Love:
- Homemade Naan
- Best Potato Rolls
- Easy No Knead Artisan Bread
- One Hour Rolls
- 7-Up Biscuits
- Whole Wheat Potato Rolls
- Sweet Potato Rolls
- Herbed Focaccia Bread
- Cheesy Ranch Rolls
- All our BREAD RECIPES here!
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Garlic Parmesan Focaccia Bread
- 2 Cups Flour Bread, or all purpose
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Cup Water warm
- 1 1/8 teaspoon Yeast instant
- 1/2 teaspoon Granulated Sugar
- Olive oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic minced
- 2/3 Cup Parmesan Cheese fresh, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning dry
- Maldon Flaked Sea Salt
- In a glass bowl, add the flour and salt. Mix to combine.
- In a glass measuring cup, mix the warm water, yeast and sugar. Allow to sit for a minute (see note) and stir into the flour with a wooden spoon until the dough just comes together.
- Cover the bowl with tight plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 8 hours or up to overnight.
- Remove the bowl from the fridge.
- In an 8-inch round cake pan, drizzle oil and place the dough in the center, tucking ends under.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise 2 hours.
- Heat the oven to 450ºF.
- Once risen the dough should fill the pan. Drizzle with additional oil and use your fingers to press holes down to the bottom of the pan but not through the dough.
- Mix garlic, cheese and herbs in a bowl
- Sprinkle with garlic, cheese and herb mixture and salt.
- Place in the oven and turn down to 425ºF and bake 22-24 minutes or until golden.
- Activated yeast should bubble and foam up within a few minutes if your yeast is good.