The other day I posted this photo on instagram (@ohsweetbasil) and said that sometimes we just need a good ol’ house salad with a creamy homemade ranch dressing recipe. Holy guacamole! I don’t know that anything else has ever made you all send so many texts, comments, and emails.
Don’t worry! I’m finally posting the salad recipe and the homemade ranch dressing recipe. You’re welcome.
I feel like It’s such a build up when in reality it’s just a really simple, fresh salad and creamy house dressing. Which I guess actually is pretty fantastic because I love classic recipes. It’s why I think our fried chicken rocks, our taco stew is the perfect recipe, pizza sauce is the best you’ll ever make and our banana bread is the absolute best you’ll ever have. There’s just nothing like a classic.
Speaking of pizza sauce… gosh cheesy pizza would be perfect with this salad. And now I want pizza. End of story.
How Long Will Homemade Ranch Dressing Keep?
Homemade Ranch dressing, stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, should keep 1-2 weeks.
How Long Will Romaine Lettuce Keep in the Refrigerator?
Refrigerate lettuce in a loosely closed plastic bag and do not wash the romaine lettuce until ready to eat.
It should keep 7-10 days.
Do Grape Tomatoes Taste Different Than Cherry Tomatoes?
Grape tomatoes aren’t as sweet as cherry tomatoes, and their flesh is meatier and less watery.
Grape tomatoes last longer than cherry tomatoes.
Homemade Ranch Dressing
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Homemade Ranch Dressing
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt with parsley Lawrys
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped dried chives
- 1/2 teaspoon dill
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
For the Salad
- 1 head romaine
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli chopped
- 2 hard boiled eggs chopped
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 avocado chopped
- 2 brussel sprouts shaved (optional)
- 1/3 cup mozzarella or monterey jack cheese shredded
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients, adjusting the herbs and salt as needed per your own tastes.
- This is what we prefer.
- Layer the lettuce and toppings and dress the salad when serving.