Beef and broccoli made quick and easy in the Instant Pot with the most delectable sauce. You’ll have dinner on the table in 20 minutes!
I’m writing this post in the middle of the COVID-19 quarantine. What a crazy time it is right now! All the restaurants have closed, but you can still order and pickup curbside at most places.
The good news is that you don’t need to go to your favorite Chinese restaurant to get delicious beef and broccoli! You can make it right in the comfort of your own home now!
What Ingredients Do You Need for Beef and Broccoli?
Besides the beef and broccoli (obviously) there are just a few ingredients that you will need. Let’s start with the ingredients you will need for the yummy sauce:
- Beef Broth
- Soy Sauce
- Sesame Oil
- Sriracha Sauce
- Brown Sugar
- Ground Ginger
To make the sauce, simply whisk all those ingredients together in a medium bowl. Then set them aside to add to the beef and broccoli later.
Beef and Broccoli
Besides the beef and broccoli, you’ll need a few additional ingredients to complete this dish in the Instant Pot:
- Broccoli Florets
- Flank Steak
- Vegetable Oil
- Ground Ginger
- Ground Pepper
- Corn Starch
- Sesame Seeds
- Green Onion
How to Make Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
Okay, the ingredients are ready, so let’s fire up the Instant Pot and get to work!
- Start by setting the Instant Pot to “Sauté” mode and adding the vegetable oil. We will sauté the chopped onions first for about 1 minute until they start to soften.
- Add the garlic and ginger to the onions and stir it all together letting it cook for 30 seconds. Be sure to stir continuously so it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Lay the sliced beef out on a plate or baking sheet and season it with salt and fresh ground pepper. Then add the seasoned beef to the Instant Pot cooking it for about 1 minute or until it is browned on both sides.
- Now it’s time for that yummy sauce we made at the beginning to be added. Pour it into the Instant Pot and give it all a good stir.
- Put the lid on and lock it. Change the setting to “HIGH PRESSURE” and set the cook time for 12 minutes.
- At the end of the cook time, do a Quick Pressure Release. When the steam stops and the valve drops, remove the lid.
- Change the Instant Pot to the “Keep Warm” setting and add the broccoli on top of the beef. Place the lid back on the Instant Pot and let it sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the lid and switch the Instant Pot back to “Sauté” mode.
- In a small bowl, whisk the water and cornstarch together and pour the mixture into the Instant Pot and stir everything together. The sauce will thicken once the cornstarch mixture has been added.
- Add a couple of simple garnishes, sesame seeds and green onions, and you are ready to eat! Serve with white rice.
Is There Another Name For Flank Steak?
Flank steak is also sometimes called London Broil. But to complicate matters, grocery stores can also label a top round as London Broil too. It is best to know what a flank steak looks like or to ask the butcher to be sure if you’re going to buy a London Broil with hopes of a getting a flank steak.
Flank steak is a deep red color and has long strands of muscle fiber running the entire length of the meat. It should have very little fat and be very thin (about 1/2 to 3/4 inches).
Is Flank Steak Tough?
A flank steak comes from the abdominal muscles of a cow so it can be quite tough. It is packed with delicious beefy flavor, but be sure it is cut thinly and against the grain.
Can You Substitute White Onion For Yellow Onion?
Yes, white onion can be substituted for yellow especially when they are being cooked. They tend to have a milder flavor but they will work great in this recipe.
Can You Use Frozen Broccoli in Stir Fry?
Yes, and the directions will actually be the same for the recipe. Place the frozen broccoli into the Instant Pot and close the lid. It should thaw and warm up in 2-3 minutes. If it doesn’t, give it another minute or two with the lid on.
What Is Sriracha Sauce?
Sriracha is a type of hot sauce or chili sauce that is pronounced SEE-ROTCH-AH. It is made from chili pepper paste, vinegar, garlic, sugar and salt. In my opinion, it adds the perfect amount of heat, and that is coming from someone who doesn’t do much heat.
What Is The Difference Between An Instant Pot And Pressure Cooker?
An Instant Pot has the ability to cook food just like a pressure cooker, but it also can be a slow cooker, rice cooker, saute pan, etc. The heat source for an Instant Pot is electric whereas a pressure cooker uses the stove top.
If you haven’t printed off our Instant Pot Cheat Sheet, do that now and tape it up in your cupboard. It will save you loads of time cooking all the basics in the Instant Pot!
Make a pot of white rice, toast up some sesame seeds, and make this delicious Instant Pot beef and broccoli for dinner tonight! It is sure to be a hit for your family!
Most Viewed Recipe…
Hey and before you go, make sure you check out our Instant Pot Short Ribs they are one of our most viewed recipes this year!
More Asian Recipes:
- Asian Orange Chicken
- Korean Short Ribs
- Chicken Stir Fry
- Simple Asian Shrimp Noodles
- Teriyaki Chicken Casserole
- Thai Peanut Steak Salad
- Asian Chicken Skewers with Honey Garlic Sauce
- Pork Dumplings
- Quick and Easy Cashew Chicken
- Teriyaki Chicken Noodles
- Sweet and Spicy Orange Salmon
- Grilled Sweet and Sour Chicken
- …All of Our Asian Recipes!
Instant Pot Beef And Broccoli
Stir Fry Sauce
- 3/4 Cup Beef Broth
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 2 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion Diced
- 4 cloves Garlic Minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 1/4 pounds Flank Steak sliced into 1/4 inch strips
- Pepper fresh ground, to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 pound Broccoli Florets cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoon Water
- 2 tablespoon corn starch
- sesame seeds for garnish
- green onion sliced for garnish
For The Sauce
- In a medium bowl whisk together all sauce ingredients.
For The Beef
- Press Sauté on the Instant Pot; heat vegetable oil.
- Add onions to the heated oil and cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds more, stirring continuously.
- Season beef with fresh ground pepper, salt and add to the Instant Pot; cook for 1 minute, or until just browned on both sides, stirring only as needed.
- Stir in the prepared stir fry sauce.
- Lock the lid and select HIGH PRESSURE; set cook time for 12 minutes.
- When cook time ends, use Quick Pressure Release and when the valve drops, remove the lid.
- Set Instant Pot to the Keep Warm setting.
- Add broccoli florets to the Instant Pot and close with the lid; allow the broccoli to steam for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the lid and turn back to sauté.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together water and cornstarch.
- Pour cornstarch mixture into the liquid inside the Instant Pot; stir until completely combined and until sauce has thickened.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions and serve with white rice.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.