We love these Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes. Crispy skinned russet potatoes are sliced in half, their filling mashed into creamy mashed potatoes and loaded back in with shredded cheese and bacon on top which gets all melty in the oven.
When I was little I got babysat by a family we had known for year and years.
I can perfectly remember standing in their bathroom after getting hurt but I can’t remember how I got hurt. Either way, I walked out, choking back tears and the mom was putting twice baked potatoes on the table.
I was a little nervous about them because I was every mom’s worst nightmare, a horribly picky eater.
One tentative bite in and I was hooked. You can make them with or without cheese and bacon, it’s delicious with those crispy skins and fluffy insides!
How Make Twice Baked Potatoes in the Oven
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees and rub oil and flaked sea salt all over the potatoes.
- Bake for one hour.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- Slice the potatoes in half and remove all but 1/4″ of the flesh.
- Turn the heat up to 400.
- Place the empty shells back in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Place the flesh in a bowl with butter, sour cream, cream cheese and seasoning and mash until smooth.
- Refill the potatoes and top with cheese. Bake until melted.
- Top with bacon and garnish as desired!
These taters are totally a killer side. They are both delicious AND easy to prep a day ahead or use leftovers for.
Can Twice Baked Potatoes be Made Ahead of Time?
Twice baked potatoes look like a ton of work since you’re technically making two recipes, but it actually is a genius make ahead side dish.
Here’s how you can make twice baked potatoes a day ahead:
- Bake the potatoes a day ahead and then just let them cool or place them in the fridge until you’re ready to make them into twice baked potatoes.
- When you’re ready, cut them in half, scoop out the insides (read our tip below!!), heat them with a little butter, cream cheese, sour cream and seasoning, plop it back in the potato, sprinkle with cheese and already cooked bacon, stick it back in the oven until the cheese is melted then call it dinner.
That’s right, not only CAN you make these a day ahead, but honestly they are easier to prep a day ahead as the potato is easier to scoop out.
Tips to Make Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- First tip! Always do an oil and salt rub on your baked potatoes. Have you read our post on the perfect baked potato recipe? You need to. RIGHT NOW. It will make for a 10 times better Twice Baked Potato recipe.
- Allow the potatoes to completely cool before slicing them open. The hot potatoes will fall apart faster than a chilled potato.
- When you scoop out the flesh of the potato leave a 1/4″ layer of potato with the skins. More on this below.
- Tillamook Farmstyle Thick Cut Cheddar Jack Cheese works waaaaay better than a plain cheddar cheese. The combination of cheeses and those thicker slices melt and taste better.
How to Keep Twice Baked Potatoes from Breaking
Why do your twice baked potato skins fall apart?
You scooped out too much of the potato! There’s nothing to hold the paper thin skins.
Leaving 1/4″ of the flesh will help to hold the potato shape.
Are Potatoes a Vegetable?
Potatoes are classified as vegetables, but we kind of tend to forget about them.
However, it is nutritionally considered as a starchy food due to its high carbohydrate content.
So, I guess potatoes are actually starchy vegetables.
What Potato is Best For Twice Baked Potatoes?
Starchy potatoes such as russets are the best potatoes to bake.
Do not try to make twice baked potatoes with yukon golds as the skin and flesh won’t work.
What Temperature for Twice Baked Potatoes
Bake a twice baked potato at 400 degrees.
We like to bake our potatoes at 350 to get that crispy skin with a perfectly cooked inside, however when you do the second bake pop the taters back in at 400.
Are Potato Skins Good For You?
Potato skins are good AND good for you.
The potato skin not only adds fiber and nutrients, but it also helps the flesh of the potato retain its nutrients.
What to Serve Twice Baked Potatoes With
Lots of things go with twice baked potatoes, but here are a few favorites.
Can You Freeze Twice Baked Potatoes
You can totally freeze twice baked potatoes!
Place the potatoes in a freezer bag and seal.
When you reheat the potatoes that’s when you should add the cheese and bacon.
How Long Can Twice Baked Potatoes be Refrigerated
Twice baked potatoes can be refrigerated in a sealed container for 3-4 days.
Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes
Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes
- 3 Russet Potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
- 2 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons butter
- garlic seasoning with parsley
- Colby Jack Cheese Shredded
- 3 Slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll each potato in a drizzle of olive oil and then in the salt to coat entirely.
- Place the potatoes in the oven on tin foil and bake for 40-50 minutes
- Allow to cool then slice open lengthwise and remove most of the white flesh into a bowl. See note if you do this on separate days.
- Add the butter and cream cheese and using a potato masher begin mashing the insides.
- Add seasoning and mash until smooth, adding more butter if necessary.
- Spoon back into each potato skin and top with cheese and bacon.
- Place into a baking dish and bake until the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.