Muddy Buddies and Rice Krispie treats got married and had the most deliciously irresistible baby ever! Chocolate and peanut butter with gooey marshmallow is the best mash up of all time!
I want to take credit a tiny bit but mostly I want to yell from the rooftops that my own daughter is a genius. A legit genius. Claire was helping me make chex muddy buddies puppy chow one day when she said, “Mom, I think we should try to make these into rice krispies treats.”
And then I dreamt of them, thought of them, salivated over the idea of them and flat out obsessed for almost 2 months before I just couldn’t take it anymore and had no choice but to make them.
And they were glorious.
I mean, hands down one of our new favorite family treat recipes. There’s no going back.
Is it sweet? Yes, but the salty peanut butter and cereal, and additional salt breaks it up. I couldn’t stop eating these and I’m not usually a crazy sweet dessert person!
Ingredients for Muddy Buddies Marshmallow Treats
Most people have probably made muddy buddies, or puppy chow, as I called it growing up. Most people have probably made rice krispie treats. But have you every combined the two?? Here are the ingredients you will need:
- Rice Chex Cereal (Corn Chex or Wheat Chex also work)
- Chocolate Chips
- Peanut Butter
- Powdered Sugar
- Mini Marshmallows
- Sea Salt
Do you have everything on hand already? This recipe is dangerous because I almost always have everything to make them at any given moment.
All the measurements for each ingredient can be found in the recipe card below.
How to Make Muddy Buddies Marshmallow Treats
If you want the quick and simple directions for making these babies, you will make a batch of muddy buddies. Let them cool and set, and then make them all stick together with melted butter and marshmallows. You’re welcome, I just changed your life.
Here are a little more detailed instructions which can also be found in the recipe card at the end of the post:
- Melt the peanut butter, butter and chocolate chips together over medium heat on the stove or in the microwave.
- Gradually combine the cereal and pb/choc mixtures and stir until evenly coated.
- Let it cool slightly and then add the powdered sugar little by little and stir to combine.
- Prepare a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and foil or parchment.
- Melt the butter, salt and some of the marshmallows on the stove over medium heat or in the microwave. Heat it until everything is melted and smooth.
- Add the vanilla and stir it all together again.
- Pour over the muddy buddies and mix everything together well.
- Add the rest of the marshmallows and press the mixture into your prepared pan.
- Let them cool for a while and cut and serve.
These directions can be found in full detail in the recipe card at the end of this post.
The Best Way to Eat Muddy Buddies?
Mix everything together and eat while warm. My goodness, you will thank me later!! Don’t eat them all though! Save enough to make these marshmallow treats!
How to Store Marshmallow Treats
If I’m just making muddy buddies, I like to keep them in the refrigerator, but in a marshmallow bar form, it’s all about room temperature. They stay gooey and delicious. Store with plastic wrap over the top or with a lid on your dish if you have one.
How Long Will Muddy Buddies Marshmallow Treats Last?
These bars will keep at room temperature for up to 3 days, but they have never lasted past day 2 at our house!
Best of luck buttoning up your jeans but don’t you dare feel bad about it. Dessert is ok!!! It’s ok to just enjoy a meal and treats one night. The next day just go back to healthy eating and leave the sugar for the weekend only. Mmmmmmm, these muddy buddies marshmallow treats are my new obsession!
More No Bake Treats
- Reese’s Rice Krispies Treats
- Snickers Ice Cream Cake
- No Bake Caramel Cheesecake Bars
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake Dip
- Churros Chex Mix
- No Bake Oreo Pie
- Reese’s Krispies
- No Bake S’mores Bars
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Muddy Buddies Marshmallow Treats
- 1 12 oz. box Rice Chex Cereal *see note
- 1 1/2 Cups Chocolate Chips
- 3/4 Cup Peanut Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 5 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla
- 10 Cups Mini Marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt fine grain
- Melt peanut butter, butter and chocolate together, stirring frequently over medium or use a microwave.
- Add 3 cups of cereal to a large bowl. Pour 1 cup of your chocolate/peanut butter mixture over the cereal. Repeat with remaining cereal and chocolate to evenly distribute everything.
- Stir until the cereal is evenly coated.
- Let the mixture cool for a bit so it’s not too warm.
- Add 1 cup of powdered sugar. Mix until combined.
- Let cool for a few minutes so the powdered sugar has a chance to set.
- Add more powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time until your cereal is coated to your satisfaction.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Spray a 9×13-inch pan with non-stick spray and line it with a foil or parchment paper sling. Spray again.
- In a very large microwave-safe bowl, or in a pot on the stove over medium heat, place your butter, salt, and 8 cups of mini marshmallows. Microwave in 30-second increments, or heat, stirring in between, until everything is completely melted and smooth.
- Add vanilla and stir again.
- Pour in the muddy buddies and mix well.
- Add in the remaining marshmallows while still warm and lightly press into your prepared pan (**see note).
- Let them cool for an hour or two and then cut and serve!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.