Unforgettable lemon garlic shrimp, and it’s done in just a few minutes. You will not believe how easy it is to make this elegant shrimp dish.
If you are looking for a quick and easy weeknight meal, then this lemon garlic shrimp is it. When I say quick, I mean less than 20 minutes. When I say easy, I mean two simple steps.
Cade loves shrimp. Anytime we travel, he has to try a local shrimp dish. And if shrimp is on the menu, Cade is overjoyed! In fact, I let him do all the shrimp cooking in our house.
This dish is light and bright and great for summer or a busy school night!
What Ingredients Do I Need to Make Lemon Garlic Shrimp?
The list of ingredients for this lemon garlic shrimp is short and sweet:
- Chicken Broth
- Cooking Wine
- Parsley (fresh)
- Spaghetti (optional)
We like to serve it on top of some pasta, but that is totally optional.
How to Make Lemon Garlic Shrimp
Ok, on to those two simple steps for making this dish:
- Melt butter in a skillet, add the shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Flip occasionally until they are pink. Set the shrimp aside.
- Add garlic and cook briefly. Add the remaining ingredients (except the parsley) and let it come to a boil. Then reduce the heat and allow it to reduce by half. Stir in the rest of the butter incrementally and add the shrimp back in. Top with fresh parsley.
I mentioned we like to eat ours with some pasta. I cook it up al dente and hit it with a little olive oil and lemon juice before serving. You can omit the pasta completely or use any pasta you like.
What Kind of Shrimp Should I Buy?
I head straight back to the butcher counter and ask for raw, peeled and deveined shrimp. This makes cooking it up super simple. I’m not a huge fan of the deveining thing, so I leave that to the professionals (or Cade)!
Can This Recipe Be Made Ahead of Time?
Unfortunately, no. Shrimp is best served hot and fresh and you also don’t want it overcooked at all.
Can Shrimp Be Reheated?
Shrimp does not reheat well, so eat up! I suppose if you have leftovers, you could eat it cold, but I wouldn’t recommend trying to reheat it. The shrimp will get overcooked and rubbery.
What do The Numbers Mean on Shrimp?
The numbers listed on shrimp refer to how many shrimp are in a pound, which also indicates how big they are. You may think the bigger the better if you’re a shrimp lover, but in fact there are situations when smaller are better like in a dip or salad. For this dish, we chose a 36/40, meaning there are 36 to 40 shrimp in a pound, so they are medium large.
Tips for Making Lemon Garlic Shrimp
There are couple of little tricks that I’ve found when making shrimp:
- Pat the shrimp dry before cooking it. It grabs on to the flavor better and helps it stay tender while cooking.
- Fresh lemon juice is by far the best for this!
What to Eat with Lemon Garlic Shrimp?
We like to have a side of crusty bread like our no knead artisan bread. Then a vegetable side goes great with it too, like roasted garlic veggies, lemon roasted broccoli or grilled lemon pepper asparagus.
Looking for More Quick and Easy Weeknight Meals?
As a busy family, I am always trying to find meals that come together super quick. A few of our favorites are:
Are Shrimp Good For You?
Yes, shrimp is a healthy food that fits well into most diets. It is low-calorie, low-fat and high protein. Shrimp also has vitamin D and B vitamins in it. It is a great way to add protein to a diet without the higher fat that other proteins contain.
How Do You Know When Shrimp Are Cooked?
Shrimp that is properly cooked should have a pink exterior. The flesh should be slightly opaque and a little white in color.
How Long Will Shrimp Keep?
Raw shrimp can be kept in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Cooked shrimp can be kept in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
It’s a happy day around here when shrimp is on the menu! I hope your family loves this lemon garlic shrimp dish as much as we do. You can’t beat it’s simplicity and spectacular flavor! It’s unforgettable!
More Shrimp Recipes to Try:
- Asian Shrimp Noodles
- Grilled Sticky Honey Lime Shrimp
- Parmesan Shrimp Scampi Pasta
- Lobster Shrimp and Crab Dip
- Popcorn Shrimp with Mango Chipotle Sauce
- Spicy Steak and Shrimp Kabobs
- One Pot Honey Lime Shrimp
- Baked Coconut Shrimp
- All Oh Sweet Basil SEAFOOD RECIPES!
Lemon Garlic Shrimp
- 1 1/2 Pounds Shrimp raw, peeled, deveined
- 1/2 Cup Butter divided
- 1/4 Cup Broth Chicken
- 1 Tablespoon Wine Cooking, White, (or actual wine if you drink it)
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic minced
- 1 Lemon juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Parsley fresh
- Melt 2 1/2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Cook, flipping occasionally until pink, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Add garlic to the pan and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, cooking wine and lemon juice. Boil and then turn to medium low and cook until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Stir in remaining butter, 1 tablespoon at a time and then add the shrimp back in, followed by parsley and toss to coat.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.