30 Minute Skillet Beef Pot Pie
30 Minute Skillet Beef Pot Pie is a quick and hearty one skillet dinner that is packed with flavor; made easy with store bought pie crust & frozen veggies.
Hey you guys! I’m Emily from The Goldilocks Kitchen, and Carrian has so graciously invited me to write a guest post for all the fabulous readers of Oh Sweet Basil. Aren’t Carrian and Cade the best?! What a great service they share with the world by creating wonderful recipes and allowing us a glimpse into their sweet family life too. I’m so honored they’ve asked me to create a recipe just for you!
30 Minute Skillet Beef Pot Pie Will Be Your New ‘go-to’ Weeknight Fall Recipe.
Are you looking for a new idea for a fast weeknight recipe? How about one that’s perfect for a cool fall evening? This time of year I love savory recipes that help me feel warm and cozy and take the stress right out of a busy day. This 30 Minute Skillet Beef Pot Pie recipe definitely would qualify- and it’s really fun to make too, especially if you enjoy cooking!
Fresh Ingredients Build an Exceptional Flavor Base.
When you need dinner on the table fast for your hungry family, this recipe for 30 Minute Skillet Beef Pot Pie is perfect. Fresh ground beef is browned first; seasoned with onion soup mix. Then sliced mushrooms and minced garlic are sauteed in the beef drippings. This way you’ll build an amazingly savory and delicious base for a great beef pot pie.
Then stir in some flour and a little balsamic vinegar to build even more flavor and to thicken the stew.
Add in some tomato paste, thyme (fresh or dried) and beef broth made with bouillon cubes. Then stir in the cooked ground beef, cover, and let all the flavors simmer for a few minutes to deeply mingle. This is the part where your house starts to smell delicious and your family comes over to ask “Smells great- what r’ u cookin up in there?” (Okay so maybe that’s just my hillbilly husband who says that…)
It’s As Easy As Pie.
A store bought set of pie crusts and frozen peas/carrots get this stew on the table fast. Roll out a store bought pie crust on a flat baking sheet covered with parchment paper and pop it in the oven to bake while the stew is simmering overhead. Be sure to poke it with a fork A LOT so it doesn’t bubble up too much while baking. Most packages come with two crusts, so you can use the second one for decorating the first with braiding, lattice work, or cut outs. (It will add a few more minutes to the over all cooking time, so if you’re in a hurry I’d skip the decorating.) Glue them onto the first pie crust with a beaten egg (applied with a brush or finger).
Before placing your pie crust on top of your 30 Minute Skillet Beef Pot Pie, don’t forget to stir in a cup of frozen pea/carrot mix to the stew. When you’re ready to place the baked pie crust over your skillet, lift the parchment paper and pie crust off the baking sheet and place the pie crust right over the skillet. Then just gently slip the paper out from underneath it and it should fall right on top of your ground beef stew! Easy as pie. (Actually WAY easier than pie hahaha :0)
Your 30 Minute Skillet Beef Pot Pie is ready to wow your family at the dinner table! It’s definitely a one skillet meal, but a nice side salad goes great with it too if you have time to prepare one.
What Goes With 30 Minute Skillet Beef Pot Pie?
A simple bowl of cut fruit can be a nice compliment to this 30 Minute Skillet Beef Pot Pie. I also like to serve a nice green salad on the side, or steamed green vegetables.
How Do You Reheat 30 Minute Skillet Beef Pot Pie?
Conventional oven: Preheat oven to 300º Cover edges of 30 Minute Skillet Beef Pot Pie with foil to avoid burning crust. Heat 30 Minute Skillet Beef Pot Pie for 15 minutes and rotate, heat additional 15 minutes or until heated through.
I hope you guys enjoy chowing down on this recipe, and thanks again to the Oh Sweet Basil team for giving me the opportunity to say hello to you all. I hope you have a wonderful and happy holiday season! -Emily
Can You Freeze 30 Minute Skillet Beef Pot Pie?
The ingredients all freeze well, but this pot pie is done in a skillet, so the only way to freeze it is if you freeze it skillet and all.
30 Minute Skillet Beef Pot Pie
30 Minute Skillet Beef Pot Pie
A quick, hearty and delicious one skillet dinner that is packed with flavor and made easy with store bought pie crust and frozen veggies.
- 1 pound (16 oz) ground beef
- 3 Tablespoons dry onion soup mix
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 2 Teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 and ½ teaspoons minced fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 2 cups of frozen pea & carrot mix, thawed
- 1-2 store bought Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts
- Parchment paper
- Set oven to 450 degrees and make sure you have a rack set to the middle position.
- Heat a 12 inch skillet over medium high heat.
- Add in ground beef and season with dry onion soup mix, stirring often until no pink spots remain.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl and set aside.
- Dispose of excess grease, leaving just enough to coat the bottom of the skillet.
- Add two tablespoons butter to the skillet and then add the mushrooms, spreading them into a single layer.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms shrink and turn golden brown.
- Stir in garlic and balsamic vinegar, then sprinkle mushrooms with flour and stir for about a minute, until the flour is incorporated.
- Slowly stir in the broth, tomato paste and thyme, then stir in the hamburger.
- Bring to a simmer then cover and cook on low for about 10 minutes to mingle flavors and thicken broth.
- While meat mixture simmers, prepare pie crust by covering a flat baking sheet with parchment paper and rolling out one pie crust in the center.
- Using a fork, poke several holes all throughout the pie dough. If you choose, you can decorate the pie crust with pieces from the second pie crust, using one beaten egg as ‘glue’.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly golden and just browned on some edges.
- Once beef-mushroom mixture has finished simmering, remove lid and stir in pea & carrot mix.
- Replace lid for a couple minutes to warm up the veggies.
- Remove lid and carefully slide the pie crust on top of the finished skillet dinner.
- Serve right from the skillet.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.