Yes, I never ended up capturing what the buttermilk syrup ends up looking like once the foamy deliciousness has all settled down, but not only do I love all of that foam but we all love this syrup so much we just couldn’t wait to dive in and devour it on pancakes.
This is one of those recipes that I grew up with and I don’t know why, but it took me years to remember it and bring it back with my family. It’s absolutely the best syrup around and trust me, you have to try it yourself to understand. It’s not at all buttermilky in taste, but creamy, light, sweet, and oh so amazing. I can barely stand to not lick my plate when breakfast is over just to get ever last bit.
Is Buttermilk Sour Milk?
Sour milk and buttermilk are different.
Buttermilk is made by adding a lactic acid bacteria to regular pasteurized milk.
Sour milk is made by adding vinegar and lemon juice to regular milk to make it sour.
Can You Substitute Sour Milk For Buttermilk in Recipes?
Yes, you can substitute sour milk for buttermilk in most recipes.
Make sour milk by adding 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup of milk and stir.
How Long Will Buttermilk Syrup Last?
Store it in a jar or airtight container, and place in the fridge.
Buttermilk syrup will stay good, for about 1-2 weeks in the fridge.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon Light karo syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large pot or saucepan over medium heat add the butter, sugar, buttermilk, vanilla and karo syrup.
- Heat until everything is well combined and bring to a boil.
- Quickly remove the pot from the heat and add the baking soda, place back over the heat, stirring constantly. The syrup will grow large and threaten to boil over which is why a large pot is essential. If it gets too close to the edge remove from the burner and continue stirring to bring it down.
- Stir for 30 seconds over the heat (I often just take mine off so I don’t risk boiling over) and serve immediately.
Yield: 1 large Mason Jar of syrup, Serving Size: 1
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 1761 Calories
- Total Fat: 94.2g
- Cholesterol: 253.8mg
- Carbohydrates: 226.2g
- Sugar: 224.6g
- Protein: 9.1g