Classic Pumpkin Pie
This post is sponsored by Pacific Foods
Oh, pumpkin pie, oh pumpkin pie, thy flavor is so lovely… Who needs the Christmas tree song when we could be singing about pie? In fact, I’m pretty sure a song about pie would not only be awesome but certainly the most delicious song ever. Our classic pumpkin pie uses Pacific Foods Pumpkin Puree and is a must make every Thanksgiving.
I know we have some haters out there (haters gonna hate, hate, hate. Thank you Taylor Swift.)I also believe that every blog should share their favorite classic recipes and this one is one of my favorites. Well and Mom’s Lemon Meringue Pie.
Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays. As a kid we always celebrated with more people than even fit into a house. Seriously, I remember going to my grandpa’s house in Le Grande, Oregon and all of the cousins, aunts and uncles would pile into the house, set up tables and chairs in every nook and cranny and still some of us kids would end up parking it on the floor somewhere because there just wasn’t enough room for so many people.
If we didn’t travel then we would have as much family at our house in Vancouver, Washington as possible and then Dad would make sure that everyone at church had a place to go and often we would end up with a few extra families that had nowhere to go. It was awesome! The cousins ran around playing, everyone was snacking and finally we had a prayer and “dinner” which usually happened mid afternoon so it wasn’t dinner at all.
Then we would clean up (always paper products as dishes for that many people would have been insane), the ladies and kids would do fun Christmas crafts, the men would sleep or watch football and then pie for all!
And my favorite part? Well, the pie of course, but I actually loved the next day even more. We would be lazy and watch movies all day, snacking on leftovers and making turkey sandwiches on rolls. I love those sandwiches more than the actual dinner! Most importantly it had been a time to be together, no matter who we were. Everyone always had a place to go, which I’ll be honest has been a little hard living where we live. Most people have lived here their whole lives and have so much family that they make their own plans and stick closely with their fam. If you aren’t from here and aren’t going anywhere it kind of feels lonely now. It’s not the holiday I grew up with, but it has taught me that I must be like Dad, always reach out and see if anyone else is alone instead of only focusing on my family. But, we do have pie, and pie makes everything ok.
And don’t forget, when you share what you’re eating on social media make sure you tag #NourishEveryBody for the Nourish Every Body campaign that Pacific Foods is doing to donate a meal each time they see your hashtag!
Classic Pumpkin Pie
Classic Pumpkin Pie
- 1 Unbaked Pie Shell
- 2 Cups Pacific Foods Pumpkin Puree
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Half and Half
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Cup White Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs, Plus 1 Yolk. whisked
- 2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 3/4 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix the pumpkin, heavy cream and half and half.
- Add the salt, sugars, eggs, and spices and mix again until smooth.
- Pour the entire mixture into an unbaked (do not prick the bottom or you’ll lose your custard) pie shell.
- Bake at 425 for 15 minutes then immediately turn the heat down to 350 degrees and continue baking for 45-55 minutes or until the pie is puffed up and barely moves in the center.
- You may want to place tin foil around the crust the last 20 minutes if it it getting too brown.
- Place the pie on a wire cooling rack and allow to sit without touching for 2 hours to set up.
- Serve with fresh whipped cream or powdered sugar.
Yield: 1 pie, Serving Size: 1
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 2793 Calories
- Total Fat: 171.6g
- Cholesterol: 742.8mg
- Carbohydrates: 296.1g
- Fiber: 21.6g
- Sugar: 148.8g
- Protein: 33.7g
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.