Have we chatted about Carrian (yes, it’s Cade-her husband here) and I and our guilty pleasure? You’d probably never guess her’s, but mine is pretty easy. I’m all about a thick shake or creamy ice cream. When it’s been a long week, the kids are finally in bed and we get to veg out out together we occasionally like to snag something from our favorite local spot, JCW’s and watch a movie together. I don’t need to anymore though, Carrian’s cookies and cream frozen custard ice cream is my new favorite!
And I am not just saying that because I’m her awesome husband, it really is the best! Oh, and I guess I should first mention what her guilty pleasure is, though if you’ve been reading for a while now you may remember her JCW’s french fries. Yeah, hot, salty french fries are her favorite guilty pleasure for late night movie dates with me. I actually love them too, just not as much as a shake or her creamy ice cream.
And speaking of ice cream, the reason Carrian calls it frozen custard and I say ice cream is because she cooks 6 egg yolks into it which makes it very thick and creamy. Sometimes when you eat homemade ice cream it is a little more loose and thin and can even seem a little more icy which although the flavor can be fantastic it’s texture isn’t our favorite. You just need to be careful not to overcook it but practice makes perfect or always keep a little thermometer on hand to test your temp. And then of course make sure you load the baby up with oreo cookies because there’s nothing worse than buying cookies and cream ice cream and fighting over the 3 baby chunks of cookie that actually appear in there. The more the merrier!
Is Frozen Custard the Same As Ice Cream?
Frozen Custard Is Not Exactly the Same as Ice Cream.
Both ice cream and Frozen Custard are made with milk, cream and sugar.
The added ingredient in frozen custard, that gives the creamy smooth texture is pasteurized egg yolks.
Will Ice Cream Stay Frozen In a Cooler?
Ice cream will not stay frozen in a cooler if you are using ice.
Ice is not cold enough to freeze food.
You will need to use dry ice to keep ice cream frozen in a cooler.
Will Ice Cream Help a Sore Throat?
Eating soft, non-irritating foods, sucking on hard candy or ice, eating frozen desserts such as popsicles or ice cream and drinking cool or warm liquids may help numb the painful area or soothe the sore throat.
Cookies and Cream Frozen Custard Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped out and reserved
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 sleeves of broken up oreos
- In a saucepan over medium low heat, combine the heavy cream, half and half, sugar, and vanilla bean pod and seeds.
- Stir occasionally, heating the mixture until bubbles form around the edges.
- Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk 6 egg yolks together, vigorously until pale yellow.
- After you have removed the cream mixture from heat, remove a few tablespoons of the hot cream mixture from the pan, and slowly, whisking constantly, pour the hot cream mixture into the eggs. Do not add the eggs straight or they will scramble at the bottom.
- Once you have added about 5 tablespoons of the hot mixture return the pan with the cream mixture to medium-low heat and slowly whisk in the entire egg mixture.
- Heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. You should be able to dip the back of a spoon into the mixture and the cream should coat the back of the spoon. You can test this by dragging your finger through the cream on the back of the spoon and if it leaves a trail you're done. Don't cook hotter than 160 degrees.
- Remove from heat and chill in the refrigerator (for several hours or overnight).
- Once the mixture is chilled freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions (a 4-5 quart machine).
- When the ice cream is almost done churning, take one sleeve of oreo cookies and break them up into the ice cream machine.
- Transfer to a freezer-safe container a few scoops at a time, crumbling the remaining cookies into each layer and freeze for at least four hours before serving.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 410 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 202.3mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 36.2g Fiber: 0.1g Sugar: 35.2g Protein: 3.8g