This is the best, creamiest, and most wonderful dulce de leche ice cream recipe *picture courtesy of Linds at CJ
My husband LOVES his Doce De Leite or as I would say, dulce de leche ice cream. He LOVES ice cream. I got this recipe a few years back from my dear friend, Lindsey at Cafe Johnsonia. We love this ice cream best. It is a serious favorite. In fact, it’s all I’ve really made. Well, a blackberry here and there. Anyway, it’s rich and creamy and my hubby adores the dollops of Doce de Leite in it.
You see, Cade served a mission in Brazil years ago. There they ate a lot of Doce de Leite and leite condensada. I think that’s how you spell it. He even ate it on his oatmeal occasionally. Gross. He also makes this amazing key lime pie and a papaya ice cream/smoothie thing. But, his two most favorites are anything Doce de Leite and Mousse de Maracuya. (I totally just found a recipe for that and I can’t wait to try it!!!!) I love making anything that is Brazilian because I know that Cade will adore it.
Recipe adapted from Cafe Johnsonia
Dulce De Leche Ice Cream
Dulce De Leche Ice Cream
Recipe by Cafe Johnsonia
- 2 cans dulce de leche
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4-6 egg yolks (I use 5)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cream
- dash of salt
- Whisk together one can of dulce de leche and the milk in a medium
- Heat gently over medium heat until very hot, but not boiling.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until light in color.
- Slowly add 3 tablespoons hot milk mixture to the eggs while whisking.
- Pour all of the egg mixture into the pan.
- Gently cook over low to medium heat, until it starts to thicken and reaches 160 degrees F on an instant read thermometer. (Don’t let it exceed 180 degrees, or it will curdle. If you don’t have a thermometer, cook until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of
a wooden spoon.)
- Strain the cooked custard through a fine mesh sieve into a clean bowl and add the cold cream.
- Chill until completely cold.
- Follow your manufacturer instructions to make the ice cream.
- Place a little in a container, add dollops of dulce de leche, top with more ice cream and repeat the process.
- Freeze until firm.
Times do not reflect the time needed to freeze ice cream in your ice cream machine. Follow instructions from manufacturer.
Yield: , Serving Size: 1
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 1527 Calories
- Total Fat: 121.8g
- Cholesterol: 1105.4mg
- Carbohydrates: 82.5g
- Sugar: 81.6g
- Protein: 30.9g