This is the best, creamiest, and most wonderful dulce de leche ice cream recipe *picture courtesy of Linds at CJ
My husband LOVES his Doce De Leite or as I would say, dulce de leche ice cream. He LOVES ice cream. I got this recipe a few years back from my dear friend, Lindsey at Cafe Johnsonia. We love this ice cream best. It is a serious favorite. In fact, it’s all I’ve really made. Well, a blackberry here and there. Anyway, it’s rich and creamy and my hubby adores the dollops of Doce de Leite in it.
You see, Cade served a mission in Brazil years ago. There they ate a lot of Doce de Leite and leite condensada. I think that’s how you spell it. He even ate it on his oatmeal occasionally. Gross. He also makes this amazing key lime pie and a papaya ice cream/smoothie thing. But, his two most favorites are anything Doce de Leite and Mousse de Maracuya. (I totally just found a recipe for that and I can’t wait to try it!!!!) I love making anything that is Brazilian because I know that Cade will adore it.
Recipe adapted from Cafe Johnsonia
Is Dulce De Leche Caramel Sauce?
No, dulce de leche and caramel sauce are two different things.
Caramel is made from water and sugar and Dulce de leche is made from milk and sugar.
Dulce De Leche is sweetened condensed milk that is slowly simmered until it is thick and caramel colored.
Does Dulce De Leche Need To Be Refrigerated?
Dulce De Leche should be stored in the refrigerator.
Place dulce de leche in an airtight container for storage.
How Long Will Ice Cream Keep?
For optimum flavor and freshness, ice cream should be eaten within 2 months.
However ice cream that has been kept frozen is still safe to eat for up to 4 months.
More Ice Cream Recipes You’re Sure to Love:
- Biscoff Cookie Butter Homemade Ice Cream
- Berries and Cream Ice Cream
- Lemon Curd Frozen Custard
- Key Lime Pie Milkshake
- Cookies and Cream Frozen Custard
- Copycat Pinkberry Chocolate Crunch Sauce
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches dipped in Milk Chocolate
- Apple Pie Fried Ice Cream Cake
- Loaded Salted Pretzel Ice Cream Sundae
- Mint Chocolate Stracciatella Ice Cream
- Nutella Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- All our ICE CREAM RECIPES here!
Dulce De Leche Ice Cream
Dulce De Leche Ice Cream
Recipe by Cafe Johnsonia
- 2 cans dulce de leche
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4-6 egg yolks I use 5
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cream
- dash of salt
- Whisk together one can of dulce de leche and the milk in a medium
- Heat gently over medium heat until very hot, but not boiling.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until light in color.
- Slowly add 3 tablespoons hot milk mixture to the eggs while whisking.
- Pour all of the egg mixture into the pan.
- Gently cook over low to medium heat, until it starts to thicken and reaches 160 degrees F on an instant read thermometer. (Don't let it exceed 180 degrees, or it will curdle. If you don't have a thermometer, cook until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of
- a wooden spoon.)
- Strain the cooked custard through a fine mesh sieve into a clean bowl and add the cold cream.
- Chill until completely cold.
- Follow your manufacturer instructions to make the ice cream.
- Place a little in a container, add dollops of dulce de leche, top with more ice cream and repeat the process.
- Freeze until firm.