I grew up eating my mom’s famous caramel brownies made from a cake mix, and we’ve finally created a recipe for caramel brownies from scratch that’s even better than the ones my mom made!
Easy Brownies From Scratch
I’ve chatted about Mom’s famous caramel brownies a few times and we finally posted the original recipe a while back, but I somehow became convinced that we needed a perfectly comparable caramel brownies from scratch recipe and couldn’t let it go until I discovered it. And discovered it I did.
The secret is in the homemade brownie itself. You see, I tried a gazillion recipes and none of them held up against the caramel like I wanted. Too soft, too cakey, too runny (no really, it never set up), or way too dry. Ugh, it was annoying! And then I had the brilliant idea of going back to just why we loved Mom’s.
It was in the cake mix. It had to be German cake mix or it didn’t taste right and the texture was off.
So THAT was the answer! I’d start with the makings of a cake then ditch the rest of the ingredients and go back to the butter and evaporated milk just like Mom’s recipe. DING DING DING! Everything else fell into place and this is our new go-to brownie recipe from scratch!
Ingredients for Caramel Brownies From Scratch
Don’t let the layer of gooey caramel oozing out from the homemade brownies fool you into thinking these are anything but easy brownies from scratch. Here’s what you’ll need to make this caramel brownie recipe:
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Dutch process cocoa powder
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Unsalted butter
- Evaporated milk
- Caramel squares
- Chocolate chips
How to Make Brownies From Scratch
These easy homemade brownies from scratch have a few extra steps, but the recipe is simple enough to make. Here’s how we make these caramel brownies:
- Melt the evaporated milk and caramel squares in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry.
- Pour half the brownie batter into a greased 9×13-inch ban.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then remove from oven.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips, then carefully pour the caramel over top.
- Gently press the remaining brownie batter over the caramel layer.
- Return the brownies to the oven and bake until done.
Can I Make the Caramels From Scratch as Well?
If you want to, of course you can! I recommend using our Homemade Caramels recipe if that’s the route you want to go.
Can I Omit the Caramel Layer?
If you want to make truly amazing brownies from scratch without the gooey caramel in the center, you’re welcome to omit it. But we think the caramel is what really takes this easy homemade brownie recipe to the next level!
Tips for Making the Best Brownies From Scratch
Be sure to buy evaporated milk and NOT sweetened condensed milk. They’re two totally different milk products, so it’s important that you buy the right one.
Also note that if you don’t want to pat each piece of dough out in your hand before placing on top of the caramel layer, you can just press it out on plastic wrap and turn it directly out onto the brownies. Just do whichever method is easiest for you!
Lastly, these easy brownies from scratch will stay fresh at room temperature for a few days. You can also slice and freeze individual servings for later, if desired.
More Decadent Desserts You’re Sure to Love:
- Dulce de Leche Chocolate Cheesecake
- Salted Caramel Crème Brûlée
- Lime Cheesecake with Triple Berry Sauce
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Mini Fruit Tarts
- Instant Pot Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake
- Nutella Dulce de Leche Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake Oreo Brownies
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Marshmallow Cookie Pie
- All our DESSERT RECIPES!
More Homemade Brownie Recipes:
- Blackberry Cheesecake Brownies
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake Oreo Brownies
- Skillet Rocky Road Brownies
- S’mores Brownies
- Caramel Nutella Brownies
- Fudgy Caramel Egg Brownies
- Copycat BYU Mint Brownies
- ALL OF OUR BAR DESSERTS!
Caramel Brownies From Scratch
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Caramel Brownies from Scratch
- 1 ½ Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- ½ Cup plus 1 Tablespoon Dutch Processed Cocoa
- 1 ½ Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 ½ Teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 eggs
- ¾ Cup Plus 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter , melted
- 2/3 Cup Plus 2 Tablespoons Evaporated Milk , divided
- 1 Package Caramel Squares , unwrapped
- 1 ¼ Cup Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9x13” baking pan.
- In a large bowl, add the caramels and 1/3 cup evaporated milk.
- Heat in the microwave, stirring at 30-second intervals until smooth. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the butter and 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons evaporated milk and eggs and stir until the batter is thick and no flour remains.
- Press half of the dough into the pan.
- Bake for 8 minutes, remove from the oven and sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips.
- Pour the caramel evenly over the entire brownie. Go slow to be sure that everything is covered in caramel.
- Pick up small amounts of dough, about palm-sized, and press flat between your hands.
- Gently lay over the caramel and repeat until all of the caramel is covered.
- Bake for 15 more minutes and allow to cool before slicing.