The most popular 4th of July recipe is this Red White and Blue Jello Poke Cake! It’s a moist, white cake, red and blue jello and whipped topping!
Happy 4th of July!!! Well, not yet but hopefully you’ll be reading this on the day you’re making our poke cake recipe for a Fourth of July BBQ. There’s nothing better than a jello poke cake when it’s hot outside and you’re trying to enjoy your guests instead of being trapped in a kitchen.
Every year I grew up anticipating the 4th of July. It’s still one of my absolute favorite holidays because it’s about the people and not about presents or craziness.
I love that generally the time is spent sitting around outside, enjoying the beauty and peace of the outdoors all while laughing and making memories with loved ones.
How to Make Jello Poke Cake
- Prepare the Cake – A white cake mix makes for the best jello poke cake, especially for our red white and blue jello poke cake as it allows you to see the colors of the jello more easily. We’ve found that Duncan Hines bakes up flatter than a Betty Crocker cake mix.
- Prepare the Jello – While the cake is finishing up in the oven, prepare the jello. It is not the regular jello preparation so be sure to check the recipe.
- Poke the Holes – Remove the cake from the oven and poke holes all over the cake.
- Add the Jello – Carefully pour the red jello in every other hole, then the blue in the opposite holes.
- Refrigerate – Refrigerate for 2 hours or up to overnight until the jello has set. If you wait overnight, please cover in plastic wrap.
- Frost – Top with fresh whipped cream and and sprinkles and serve.
Oh Sweet Basil Pro Tips on Jello Poke Cakes
- What do You Use to Poke Holes in a Cake?
To poke holes in the cake just use the handle of a thin wooden spoon, double tonged fork or even a dowel will work fine. I prefer something about 1/2″ thick.
- How do you Make Jello Poke Cake from Scratch?
Many of you have expressed not wanting to use a boxed cake mix, which I totally understand. If you need to make a white cake from scratch instead of a boxed cake here’s the white cake recipe I recommend.
- Poke When Warm
The top of the cake can crack if you allow the cake to cool, so always poke the cake when it’s still warm.
- How to Keep the Colors Separate
Be sure that you pour the jello carefully into each hole or it will spill over the cake and the colors will combine.
- Can You Make a Jello Poke Cake Ahead of Time?
You can make a poke cake up to 2 days ahead of time if you cover it tightly with plastic wrap in the fridge. Never add the whipped cream and sprinkles until you’re ready to serve.
How to Store Red White and Blue Jello Poke Cake
Before topping the cake you can store it wrapped in plastic for 2 days in the fridge. Once it has been topped with cool whip then you will do much better to use a cake pan lid to avoid touching the topping to the plastic and ruining it.
Does Jello Poke Cake Need To Be Refrigerated?
Yes, Jello poke cake should be kept in the refrigerator, especially once it has been topped with a whipped topping.
Can Poke Cake Be Frozen?
Jello Poke cake should be covered tightly and frozen before adding whipped cream.
It will keep in the freezer for 1 month.
More Jello Recipe Ideas
- Lemon Frosting Lemon Jello Cake
- Strawberry Jello Cake
- Lemon Jello Cake
- Pineapple Jello Cake
- Strawberry Lemon Cake
- Mandarin Orange Jello
- Fresh Strawberry Pie
- Jello Peach Pie
Red White and Blue Jello Poke Cake
- 1 Box Cake Mix White, plus ingredients to make the cake
- 8 oz Whipped Topping Cool Whip
- Sprinkles red, white and blue
- 1 Cup Water boiling, divided in half
- 3 oz Jello cherry
- 3 oz Jello blue
- Prepare the cake according to the directions.
- Meanwhile, use 1.5 ounces (half) of the red jello in 1/2 cup boiling water, stirring to combine and the other 1/2 cup boiling water with 1.5 ounces of the blue jello.
- Once you remove the cake from the oven poke the cake all over with the end of a wooden spoon and pour red in 1/2 of the holes and blue in the other half. Try to not mix colors.
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- Top with cool whip and sprinkles and serve!