Our creamy avocado cilantro lime dressing is fresh, tangy, a teeny bit spicy and delicious not only on salads, but also on tacos, rice bowls, or as a dip for veggies!
I’m slowly but surely gathering up all of my favorite salad dressing recipes… for my mom. Haha! I mean, I’m doing it for all of you as well, but this stems from a comment my mom made that I’m not completely ruminating on. 🙂 She said she doesn’t know how to make a good salad. AND, FURTHERMORE, she doesn’t really eat salad in the winter because she associates it with summer.
Oh heck no.
Salad is one of the greatest things of my life, so I absolutely have to help her out! Salads are the easiest recipe because literally anything goes. You wanna add roasted sweet potatoes? DO IT! You want to mix cottage cheese in? IT’S DELICIOUS!
So, first up, Cilantro Lime Avocado Dressing because it’s healthy, and so bright and zesty! And look at that green color! All the heart eyes!
Ingredients for Avocado Cilantro Lime Dressing
This recipe uses all natural ingredients and is gluten free and dairy free. Here is what you will need:
- Avocado: make sure it is ripe by gently grabbing the top and bottom between your thumb and index finger and giving it a slight squeeze, it should have a little give to it
- Cilantro: grab a handful of the leaves and pull them from the stems
- Lime Juice: you definitely want fresh limes for this
- Jalapeño: remove the seeds and use more or less of the jalapeño to determine the heat you want
- Tomatillo: have a tangy and almost citrus-y flavor
- Garlic: fresh garlic, adds a little bite to the dressing
- Apple Cider Vinegar: adds acid and flavor
- Honey: mellows out all the acid and tanginess
- Ground Coriander: adds a slightly sweet, lemony flavor
- Olive Oil: adds flavor and healthy fat
- Kosher Salt: adds flavor
- Water: thins the dressing out, you can add as much or as little as you want to control the creaminess
The measurements for all the ingredients can be found in the recipe card at the end of the post.
Avocados for Life
Someone recently asked me what my favorite food is. That is quite possibly the hardest question to ask a food blogger! I could maybe narrow it down to a top 10 food. And if I was forced to choose, avocados would definitely be on the list. I am obsessed with them!
You can eat avocados for every meal, and I do! Have you seen our post about avocado toast? Heaven! I love to throw them on sandwiches for lunch and we even have an avocado taco recipe that is so delicious! And don’t even get me started on guacamole! Pass me a spoon!
The avocado in this salad dressing recipe makes it so creamy and fabulous! Plus, avos are a healthy source of fat.
How to Serve Avocado Dressing
Obviously, a dressing is usually meant to go on a salad, but the irresistible joy of this cilantro lime dressing should not end there! If you are going with a salad, I would recommend our chicken taco salad.
If you want to try other recipes that would be outrageous with this avocado cilantro lime dressing on top, then here a few ideas:
- Carne Asada Tacos
- Sweet Pork Burritos
- Mexi Bowls
- Baked Chicken Taquitos
- Chicken Burrito Bowl
How to Prevent Browning
Once avocados have been exposed to fresh air, they start to oxidize and turn brown. The taste isn’t affected, but it isn’t very appetizing. The best way to keep this salad dressing from turning brown is to place a piece of plastic wrap directly on to the surface of the dressing to remove the exposure to oxygen. Store it in a container with a lid.
You can also add a thin layer of olive oil or lime juice to the top. Just be sure to stir it in before serving.
Can I Make This Dressing Ahead?
This dressing actually gets better as it sits for a while, so you could make it up to a day ahead of time.
How Long Will Cilantro Lime Dressing Keep?
This salad dressing will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week. It will also freeze really well for up to a month.
You don’t have to be a professional chef to make an extraordinary salad, and a bold salad dressing recipe is a big part of a winning salad. This avocado cilantro lime dressing is creamy, tangy, healthy and made in just 5 minutes. It adds a flavorful punch no matter what you decide to use it on!
More Salad Dressing Recipes to Try:
- Ranch Dressing
- Blue Cheese Dressing
- BBQ Ranch Dressing
- Pomegranate Raspberry Dressing
- Orange Poppy Seed Dressing
- Simple Poppy Seed Dressing
- Apple Dressing
- Garlic Dill Dressing
Avocado Cilantro Lime Dressing
- 1/2 Avocado, large
- 1/2 Bunch Cilantro , see note
- 3 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1/2-1 Jalapeño , seeded
- 1/2 Tomatillo
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- 1 teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt, or to taste
- 3/4 Cup Water
- Place all ingredients except the water in a blender and blend until smooth.1/2 Avocado, 1/2 Bunch Cilantro, 3 Tablespoons Lime Juice, 1/2-1 Jalapeño, 1/2 Tomatillo, 1 Clove Garlic, 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar, 1 teaspoon Honey, 1 teaspoon Ground Coriander, 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil, 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Whisk in water, adding according to desired consistency.3/4 Cup Water