This is it, your new favorite soup ever. Like, ever. “The Soup” is all we call it at home, but you can call is cheesy chicken tortilla soup. It is so easy to make and it’s got a great chowder and southwestern soup flair that’s combines into a better than any other tortilla soup that even the kids will be begging for. And best of all, it’s one of the few creamier soups that freezes well.
The main ingredients may surprise you, Salsa Con Queso and Chicken Broth!
Start off with a nice roux and add milk and boiled potatoes. Of course season just a little so those potatoes aren’t bland.
Next, toss in all of the other ingredients. Do not use a canned chicken, but rotisserie is fine if you have it. We also do not boil our chicken, we prefer to grill, pan cook or bake for more flavor. And we love the Pacific Foods salsa con queso because it has a more homemade flavor and we know that they are so thoughtful about where every last ingredient comes from. Kinda makes you feel better about a not so healthy soup, right? haha!
What is it that’s so wonderful about soup? Especially soup with something to dunk in it? Listen, I love our roasted tomato basil soup, but then you throw on those crisp, buttery, cheesy mozzarella grilled cheese bites and holy Hannah it’s good! Or our Golden Loaded Potato Soup, wait we don’t dunk anything in that, but we do drizzle in honey. You heard me, don’t knock it until you try it!
And if you’re afraid of spicy, no worries, just cut down on the diced green chiles and taco seasoning.
And the best way to eat it? While you can definitely crush some chips on top, our kids love to get the scoop style of tortilla chips and use it like a spoon. Yes, fingers get a little messy, but they are pretty good about eating it carefully. Plus, it’s the perfect bite every time.
What Soups Are Good When You Are Sick?
Broth based soups are good for you when you are sick.
It isn’t just an old wives tale that chicken noodle soup can actually soothe a cold.
Chicken contains an amino acid called cysteine, which helps thin mucus in the lungs, and the hot broth helps to keep nasal passages moist, prevent dehydration, and fight inflammation in the throat.
Some folks swear by very spicy soups for clearing out those nasal passages.
Can Soups With Cream Be Frozen?
Cream soups can be frozen.
Creamed soups will sometimes separate when you defrost and reheat them.
This is due to the cream base.
All you need to do is carefully blend the soup as it is reheated.
Cheesy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 3 Boxes Pacific Foods Salsa Con Queso
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Onion, minced
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 Russet Potato, peeled, chopped and cooked until tender
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Broth or Chicken Broth
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 box (32 ounces) or 4 8 ounce boxes Pacific Foods chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 (4ounces) can diced green chilis
- 1 packet of Taco seasoning *see note
- 3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro plus more for garnish
- Chips for serving
- sour cream if desired
- In a large dutch oven over medium heat, add the butter and onion and cook until melted and the onion is becoming tender.
- Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring constantly for 30 seconds.
- Add the broth and milk.
- Add the potatoes and stir together.
- Season with a dash of salt and pepper.
- Add the salsa con queso, chicken broth, sour cream, diced green chilis and taco seasoning.
- Stir to combine and add remaining ingredients.
- Allow to simmer on the stove for 1 hour or on low for 4 hours in the slow cooker.
- Serve with chips.
I don't love spicy foods so I tend to use half a packet of the taco seasoning and a little less of the green chilis. This soup can be cooked just until hot and served immediately or left on very low heat all day.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 299 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 73.5mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 18.1g Fiber: 1.5g Sugar: 3.6g Protein: 19.1g