Every year, this queso fundido recipe grows even more popular on our site. This chorizo dip is the best dip you’ll ever make and is our favorite appetizer!
Whether you are looking for an irresistible dip for gameday or a new appetizer for New Years Eve, this recipe is a must! It is creamy, flavorful and the chorizo adds the most delicious flavor and heat.
What is Queso Fundido?
It is a melted cheese dip, kind of like a fondue. Queso fundido literally means “molten cheese” or “melted cheese”.
Queso Fundido Ingredients
This Mexican queso dip recipe uses just five ingredients. How amazing is that? Here’s everything we used in this spicy chorizo dip:
- Shredded Mozzarella
- Shredded Queso Quesadilla Cheese
- Tortilla Chips (for serving)
The measurements needed for each ingredient can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to Make Queso Fundido
Just empty half the package of chorizo into a skillet with one minced garlic clove and cook for about 5 minutes.
Easy, right? And because of the kinds of cheese that we use they literally melt down perfectly just like a dip. It’s awesome! Just use the fine grater for cheese and grate mozzarella and queso quesadilla. Pile it up in a ceramic dish or cast iron skillet and place it in the oven.
Once it’s all melty, scoop the chorizo onto the top and serve immediately. And by serve, I mean hide in the corner and stuff as much as you can into your face before your family discovers you and wants some.
Tips for Making Queso Fundido
- Make sure to buy the best quality cheese you can afford. The cheese is the star of this dip, so you don’t want to skimp out and buy the cheapest kind at the store. Note that if you cannot find oaxaca or queso quesadilla, just use chihuahua cheese (which you can find in most stores now including Costco) or Monterey jack cheese.
- Also, make sure to buy ground chorizo and not the kind that comes in a log. It’s typically sold in the meat section of the grocery store.
- Lastly, this chorizo cheese dip is best enjoyed immediately. Melted cheese tends to harden quickly, so be sure to gobble this stuff up ASAP!
How This Mexican Queso Fundido Came to Be
We went to Glorias in downtown Salt Lake City and the food was delicious. My absolute favorite part, as I tend to loooove dips, was the chorizo dip. I don’t know exactly how they make it, but I do know that my version of chorizo cheese dip, or queso fundido, is equally delicious.
In fact, watch our fun video!
It’s all thanks to one very special ingredient, Queso Quesadilla Cheese by Cacique. Most of our grocery stores carry it by the international foods (by the meat usually) or in the normal cheese section. It melts down perfectly and has a nice creamy, buttery flavor. You could also use oaxaca cheese, but that one is harder for me to get my little hands on.
I am always a little shocked when someone hasn’t tried chorizo. It’s the best stuff ever because it’s ready in like 5 minutes and it has a ton of flavor without doing a darn thing. It can be spicy, so I tend to buy the milder one, but I am also a bonafide wimp. The real deal. I cannot handle spicy well at all.
What to Serve with Queso Fundido
Homemade queso pairs well with just about anything you can think of! A few of our favorite things to pair with this chorizo cheese dip are:
- Tortilla chips
- Roasted fingerling potatoes
- Potato chips
- Toasted bread
I know some of the foods listed about aren’t traditionally served with Mexican queso dip, but I figured I’d share them all since they taste so good!
How Do You Reheat Queso Fundido?
You can microwave individual servings with just a drop of milk.
Warm a skillet over medium heat and stir until melted, adding a little milk to make it creamy.
I bet you never knew that making a sensational cheesy chorizo dip could be so easy! Your next gathering needs this queso fundido! It will have everyone talking and asking for the recipe.
More DELICIOUS DIPS You Can’t Resist:
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Dip
- Gingerbread Cookie Dip
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake Dip
- Banana Cream Pie Dip
- Blueberry Fluff Fruit Dip
- Peanut Butter Greek Yogurt Dip
- Strawberry Fluff Fruit Dip
- Brownie Batter Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Healthy Herb Veggie Dip
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Lobster Shrimp and Crab Dip
- 7 Layer Mexican Dip
- Cheesy Slow Cooker Sausage Dip
- Bacon Ranch Corn Dip
- Pepperoni Pizza Dip
- All our DIP RECIPES!!
Chorizo Dip Queso Fundido
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded queso quesadilla cheese, (or oaxaca), see note
- 1 clove garlic, , minced
- 8 ounces chorizo
- tortilla chips , , for dipping
- Heat the oven to broil.
- In a medium-sized skillet over medium heat, add the chorizo and garlic and cook through, about 5 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a small cast iron skillet or ceramic dish, add the cheese and broil until melted.
- Top with drained chorizo and serve immediately with chips.
- If you cannot find oaxaca or queso quesadilla, just use chihuahua cheese or Monterey jack cheese.