I can’t believe Christmas has come and gone already. I feel like Kevin and I were just putting up the decorations, trimming the tree and looking forward to our holiday traditions. Every year, it amazes me how fast everything goes; each year, quicker than the last. I think maybe the older we get the more time flies by us, which really makes me live in the now a little bit more, since I know these fleeting moments will soon be gone. Just like this Ham and Cheese Breakfast Stromboli.
I’m guessing that even though the actual holiday has come and gone, you’ve still got a house full of family, or have family coming in town after the holiday – either way, you’re going to need some super easy meals at your disposal. I feel ya, while we’ll be pretty low-key the rest of the weekend, I’m still in the holiday cooking/baking mode, and this Ham and Cheese Breakfast Stromboli is definitely on our agenda for a casual breakfast, and it should be on yours too!
I actually got the idea for this from my mother-in-law; every time we come in town (they live in Baltimore) she makes these awesome strombolis for all of us. It’s usually part of a casual meal before an event or right when we arrive in town and we’re completely famished. There are always two different varieties: pepperoni and provolone, and ham and cheese. In the pepperoni variety, she uses a really high-quality, spicy pepperoni – the kind you buy at the deli counter, not the processed kind you can find in a plastic package – and a sharp provolone cheese. The other variety, and my personal favorite, is a simple ham and cheese. I’m actually not sure what kind of cheese she uses, but it’s ridiculously melty, so I’m guessing it’s a white American or Swiss cheese of some sort. She buys pre-made pizza dough, makes them up ahead of time, and then just pops them in the oven 20 minutes or so before we eat. Best. Snack. Ever.
It got me thinking that a breakfast variety would be perfect for the days after Christmas when you don’t want to spend a ton of time slaving away in the kitchen – especially in the morning.
Literally these could not be simpler to put together. Store-bought pizza dough (I use Trader Joe’s) is rolled out into a giant rectangle and sprinkled with extra sharp cheddar cheese. Fluffy scrambled eggs are then spooned on top and then topped with a little bit more shredded cheese and chopped green peppers. Everything is covered in thinly sliced pieces of good-quality ham (hello leftovers!) and then rolled up jelly-roll style, pinched shut and set aside until you’re ready to bake it off.
A little tip: Make sure you seal all of the sides and seams, otherwise, the cheese will ooze out, creating a giant mess on your sheet pan, which is the opposite of what you want to achieve in prepping an easy breakfast. Also, let the Stromboli rest for five minutes or so after taking it out of the oven, again, to prevent the cheese from oozing out.
What Is Stromboli?
Stromboli is basically a turnover.
It is filled with Italian cheeses and meat or vegetables.
The dough used is either Italian bread dough or pizza dough.
What Kind of Cheese Goes in Stromboli?
Provolone cheese, mozzarella and parmesan cheese are the typical cheeses used in Stromboli.
Can Stromboli Be Frozen?
Stromboli can be prepared and frozen to be served later.
Wrap it in plastic wrap and foil and freeze it.
You will want to let it mostly thaw in the refrigerator before baking.
More HAM RECIPES You Will Love:
- World’s Best Brown Sugar Ham
- Ham Dipping Sauces
- Secret to the Best Ham Fried Rice
- Spring Ham and Asparagus Lemon Cream Sauce
- Cheesy Ham and Potato Bacon Casserole
- Ham Lemon Orzo with Parmesan and Peas
- Garlic Honey Mustard Ham
- Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Hawaiian Ham and Pineapple Casserole
- Hash Browns Ham Frittata
- Ham Hock Soup
- Easy Ham and Cheese Scones
- Ham and Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese
- How to Make Ham in a Slow Cooker
- How to Carve a Spiral Ham
- All our BEST PORK RECIPES here!
Ham and Cheese Breakfast Stromboli
Ham and Cheese Breakfast Stromboli
- 1 pound pizza dough I use Trader Joe's
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 7 eggs divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 6 slices good-quality ham
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl, whisk milk, 6 eggs and salt.
- Heat a large pan to a medium-low heat. Melt butter.
- Add egg mixture and slowly scramble eggs until soft. Do not overcook, you want them to be slightly underdone when you take the pan off the heat.
- Set aside.
- Roll out pizza dough to a 11x13 rectangle
- Sprinkle dough with 1 cup cheese.
- Spoon eggs over cheese.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and green pepper.
- Layer ham over eggs and cheese, and roll up, jelly-roll style starting at the bottom horizontal side.
- Pinch seams to seals, including ends.
- Place on a greased baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk remaining egg and 1 tablespoon of water.
- Brush stromboli with egg wash.
- Bake until golden brown and dough is cooked, about 30 minutes.
Connect with Nicole: