Wondering what to make with leftover ham? This cheesy potato ham casserole is a long-time favorite that I cannot wait to pass down to your family.
Leftover Ham Casserole Recipe
This leftover ham casserole the most ridiculously easy casserole you’ll ever make and yet we looooove it. In fact, I even posted about this cheesy ham and potato bacon casserole on Instagram and everyone was commenting or even emailing/texting me for the recipe.
This leftover ham and potato casserole is a perfect dish for these chilly months, and is even better to save for when you need to use up holiday leftovers like ham, broccoli, and new potatoes.
We all need something warm, easy, delicious and that uses leftovers at this time of year and trust me, this ham and cheese casserole is it. I think this will even be loved as much as our busy day casserole that has gone so crazy with our readers.
I never know what to do with leftover ham, but my mom always made this ham and potato casserole after the holiday as a way to use up everything she had sitting around. I believe it’s actually a recipe that she grew up with.
One of the best things about this leftover ham casserole is that although you have some chopping to do, and a little frying from the bacon, there really isn’t much else to do. It’s also really easy to let your kids help grate the cheese or chop the cream cheese, and you know we are such big fans of that.
Leftover Ham Casserole Ingredients
This ham and cheese casserole recipe couldn’t be easier! Here’s what you’ll need to make this ham dinner idea:
- Red potatoes
- Cooked ham
- Steamed broccoli
- Light cream cheese
- Cheddar cheese
How to Make Ham Casserole
Here’s a basic rundown of how to make this leftover ham casserole with cheese and potatoes:
- Boil the potatoes until tender, then drain and set aside.
- In a skillet, melt the butter and then add in the chopped onion. Saute until tender.
- Add the butter and onions to the pot with the potatoes, then add in the broccoli, ham, and cream cheese.
- Stir everything together, then turn into a greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Bake until heated through. Sprinkle cooked bacon over top just before serving.
Can I Prep This Casserole Ahead of Time?
Our leftover ham casserole can be prepared up to a day ahead of time and then baked when you’re ready to get dinner on the table. Just cover it with foil or plastic wrap and store it in the fridge until you bake it. It’s also a great meal to deliver to someone who needs a little help with a new baby or sick family. So if you’re looking for a meal idea for a new baby, this is it!
Can I Add Other Veggies to This Casserole?
By all means! Feel free to bulk up this ham and potato casserole with any leftover veggies you have lying around. Just be sure to cook the veggies before mixing them in with the potatoes (either saute or steam them, depending on what they are).
Can I Double This Recipe?
Very easily! Simply double the ingredients and bake in a 9×13-inch pan.
Tips for Making Leftover Ham Casserole
If you’re vegetarian, you can easily add more veggies and skip the meat. You’d wind up with a cheesy potato casserole, which sounds absolutely delicious!
You can use any type of potatoes you have on hand, but we prefer red or gold potatoes because they are a little creamier in taste and texture. A russet is fine too, though!
Also, make sure to boil the potatoes until tender. If you don’t cook them enough, they’ll still be hard even after you bake them in this ham casserole.
More HAM RECIPES You Will Love:
- World’s Best Brown Sugar Ham
- Honey Baked Ham
- Ham Dipping Sauces
- Secret to the Best Ham Fried Rice
- Spring Ham and Asparagus Lemon Cream Sauce
- Ham Lemon Orzo with Parmesan and Peas
- Garlic Honey Mustard Ham
- Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Hawaiian Ham and Pineapple Casserole
- Ham and Cheese Breakfast Stromboli
- Hash Browns Ham Frittata
- Ham Hock Soup
- Easy Ham and Cheese Scones
- Ham and Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese
- How to Make Ham in a Slow Cooker
- How to Carve a Spiral Ham
- All our BEST PORK RECIPES here!
More CASSEROLE RECIPES You’re Sure to Love:
- Mexican Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice Casserole
- Teriyaki Chicken Casserole
- One Skillet Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas Casserole
- Tater Tot Pizza Casserole
- Hawaiian Ham and Pineapple Casserole
- Coconut Curry Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Teriyaki Beef Casserole
- Low Carb Cheesy Ground Beef and Cauliflower Rice Casserole
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Cheesy Potato Ham Casserole
- 6 Red Potatoes chopped
- 1/3 cup onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups ham cooked, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli chopped and steamed
- 4 ounces neufchatel cheese or light cream cheese, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 4 slices bacon cooked
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray an 8x9-inch baking pan.
- Fill a pot with water and heat over medium heat.
- Add the potatoes and boil until tender when pierced with a knife, about 8 minutes.*
- Drain the potatoes and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the butter and once it begins to melt add the onion.
- Saute until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Dump the onion and butter into the pot with the potatoes and add the broccoli, ham and cream cheese.
- Stir to combine, not worrying about spreading the cream cheese as it should be left in clumps and dump into the baking dish.
- Top with cheese and bake at 350 for 25 to 35 minutes or until heated through.
- Top with bacon the last minute and serve!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.