Not Yo Momma’s Paula Deen Banana Pudding is a fluffy mixture of creamy pudding and whipped cream with cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk. Plus it’s served with Chessman Cookies on the bottom and on top!
I loved banana pudding anything as a little girl. If lip smackers had been smart when I was entering jr high they would have made bank off of a lip gloss for banana pudding anything.
Did you buy Lip Smackers as well? Something like, white cake batter, or Dr Pepper? Those were the good ol’ days.
Paula Deen’s Not Yo Mama’s Banana Pudding
Paula Deen Banana Pudding, or the full name, Paula Deen’s Not Yo Momma’s (or Mama’s) Banana Pudding is a little bit deceiving so I just want to get this out of the way first, it’s not a banana pudding recipe.
I mean, it is. There are banana slices under the pudding. But the actual pudding is a french vanilla pudding whipped up with sweetened condensed milk and cream cheese.
That’s a legit pudding dessert.
Ingredients for Not Yo Momma’s Banana Pudding
Here’s your quick grocery list to make your banana pudding with Chessman Cookies.
- Chessman Cookies: traditionally used in a classic recipe for banana pudding and can be found on the cookie aisle
- Fun Fact: This recipe is sometimes known as Chessman banana pudding!
- French Vanilla Instant Pudding Box: make sure it is instant pudding and not cook & serve pudding
- Cool Whip: if you can’t find a 12oz tub of Cool Whip, use 1 and half of the 8oz tubs
- Cream Cheese: make sure it is room temperature so that it doesn’t get lumpy
- Sweetened Condensed Milk: adds sweetness and creaminess to the dessert
- Milk: combines with the pudding mix the create the pudding
- Bananas: ripe bananas are the best for their sweetness and bold banana flavor
The measurements for each ingredient can be found in the recipe card at the end of this post.
Substitute for Chessman Cookies
Vanilla Wafers are the best substitute for Chessman cookies if you can’t find them. Chessman Cookies are usually by the Pepperidge Farm brand so look by the Mint Milano cookies.
How to Make Paula Deen Banana Pudding
- Set the Cool Whip in the fridge or on the counter for a faster thaw.
- Whisk milk and the instant pudding mix together in a small bowl.
- In another bowl, blend the cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk with a handheld electric mixer.
- Fold the Cool Whip into the cream cheese mixture.
- Stir together the vanilla pudding mixture and cream cheese mixture.
- Layer 1 bagof cookies on the bottom of a 9×13 dish, top the cookies with a layer of bananas.
- Pile on the pudding.
- Top with the remaining cookies.
- Refrigerate until set.
The complete instructions can be found in the recipe card down below. Keep scrolling down for all the details.
How Do You Keep Bananas from Turning Brown in Banana Pudding?
You can toss your bananas in a little lemon juice before adding them to the pudding to help keep them from browning. But I feel this isn’t necessary. You merely need to place the pudding directly on the bananas and spread evenly to seal it from the air.
How Long Will Banana Pudding Keep?
Banana pudding will keep for 3 days in the refrigerator. It should be well wrapped in plastic wrap.
Can You Substitute Real Whipped Cream Instead Of Cool Whip In Recipes?
To use real whipped cream instead of Cool Whip, you will need to add a stabilizing ingredient to the whipped cream, so that it holds its shape after being added to the recipe. This is done by making a stabilized whipped cream with gelatin.
What Is The Difference Between Sweetened Condensed Milk and Evaporated Milk?
The difference is sugar. Evaporated milk has no added sugar to it so it’s not sweet. Sweetened condensed milk has been sweetened with sugar and is thick and delicious.
Homemade Banana Pudding Recipe
I’ve actually been knocking around the idea of making a homemade banana pudding, but are people still into pudding? I love pudding, no that’s not true. I do not usually eat chocolate pudding, or chocolate ice cream actually; Cade loooooves it.
What do you all think? Would you like to learn how to make banana pudding from scratch? I’ve created a homemade banana pudding recipe for our banana cream pie. It is dreamy!
In the meantime, indulge in this Paula Deen Banana Pudding Recipe! It is pure comfort food in dessert form! There’s a reason it is served at almost every restaurant in the South…it’s heavenly.
Box Pudding Recipes
- Strawberry Pudding Cookies
- Golden Oreo Pudding
- Pudding Cheesecake Dip
- Banana Cream Pie
- The Best Banana Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Chip Cookies with Pudding
- No Bake Chocolate Pie
- Banana Bread
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Peanut Butter Banana Bread
- My Favorite Banana Cake
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosted Chocolate Banana Cake
Paula Deen’s Not Yo Momma’s Banana Pudding
- 14 oz Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 12 oz Cool Whip
- 2 Bags Cookies, Chessman
- 6 Bananas, Sliced
- 2 Cups Milk, Whole
- 1 Box Pudding Mix, 5 oz, French Vanilla, instant
- 8 oz Cream Cheese, softened
- Line a 9×13” pan with 1 bag of cookies and top with bananas.2 Bags Cookies, 6 Bananas
- In a bowl, whisk together the pudding and milk. Set aside.1 Box Pudding Mix, 2 Cups Milk
- In another bowl, using a handheld mixer beat the cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk until smooth.8 oz Cream Cheese, 14 oz Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Fold the Cool Whip into the cream cheese mixture.12 oz Cool Whip
- Fold the cream cheese mixture into the pudding mixture and spread over the bananas.
- Cover with the last bag of cookies and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to overnight.2 Bags Cookies