Cheesy potatoes made quick and easy in the Instant Pot! They are creamy and oh so cheesy and beyond easy to make. Layer upon layer cheesy potatoes done in half the time!
Ok, by now you all know that I was a picky eater growing up. My mom has a whole stock pile of blessings waiting for her in heaven for all that I put her through! Potatoes au gratin is one thing that I never complained about!
I mean, what is there not to love?! Potatoes, cheese, cream and more cheese! It is definitely a dish that the whole family will love.
What Ingredients Do I Need for Cheesy Potatoes?
The ingredients for cheesy potatoes is exactly what you would expect. Some people are surprised by the nutmeg, but trust me on this one! Everything else is straightforward:
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese
Three cheers for CHEESE! Hip, hip, hooray! Hip, hip, hooray! And hip, hip, hooray! And you all know we only use Tillamook because it’s the best of the best!
How to Make Instant Pot Cheesy Potatoes
Ok, is everyone all over Disney+ like we are? Have you watched The Mandalorian? I’m not a super big Star Wars fan (shhhhhh…don’t tell anyone), but this show was pretty dang good! And so now I call our mandolin “the mandalorian”. The reason for this whole tangent…this recipe starts with using your Mandalorian to thinly slice the potatoes…
- Wash, peel, and thinly slice the potatoes using a mandolin.
- Whisk together all the ingredients except the cheeses.
- Spray a round pan that you can put in your Instant Pot with cooking spray.
- Place half the potatoes in the pan, then half of the cheese, then half of the liquid mixture.
- Add the rest of the potatoes, then the remaining liquid mixture.
- Pour water into your Instant Pot.
- Place your pan of potatoes in the Instant Pot on top of a trivet.
- Close the lid. Seal the pressure release valve.
- Cook on High Pressure for 25 minutes and do a Quick Release of the pressure when the cooking is done.
- Remove the pan out of the Instant Pot and top the potatoes with the rest of the cheese.
- Place your pan in the oven to broil on high for 3 minutes.
- Bon appetit!!
What to Eat with Instant Pot Cheesy Potatoes?
Cheesy potatoes go with just about anything. From chicken to beef to pork, it’s a yes to Instant Pot potatoes! A few of our favorite meals to eat the with are classic meatloaf, smoked ribs, grilled BBQ chicken, or smoked brisket!
Don’t forget a side of potato rolls!
Tips for Making Cheesy Potatoes
- Potatoes: good ol’ Russet potatoes is what we like the best! They hold up in the pressure cooker and have great flavor.
- Choose your favorite cheese: we love the combination of mozzarella and cheddar, but use whatever cheese you like best. You could use pepper jack if you like a little kick, or a smoked gouda would be divine!
- Melt the cheese on top: we like to throw our pan in the oven to broil so the cheese gets a little crispy on top, but you could leave it in the Instant Pot. Add the cheese on top and place the lid back on for about 5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Trivet: if you don’t have a trivet for your Instant Pot, you can use any heat resistant object that will keep the pan up out of the water.
What Does An Instant Pot Do?
An Instant Pot is a kitchen appliance that does just about everything. It’s a slow cooker, a rice cooker, a pressure cooker, a steamer, a yogurt maker, a warmer, and a saute-er. I use it the most often as a pressure cooker or a yogurt maker. We love our Instant Pot!
Print off our Instant Pot Cheat Sheet and save yourself some hassle! It has all the info you need to make all the basics in the Instant Pot!
Is It Safe To Use An Instant Pot?
Yes, it is definitely safe to use an Instant Pot. I’ve used ours over a hundred times and have never had any issue. Just follow the instructions carefully and you should never have an issue.
Are Potatoes Good For You?
Potatoes are a great source of fiber, potassium, vitamins C and B6, and they are low in cholesterol. As long as you don’t bathe them in butter or bury them in cheese and cream (oopsies!), they are healthy and great for heart health.
Are Potatoes Keto?
Potatoes are starchy and contain more digestible carbohydrates than fiber which makes them not good for a keto diet. They should be limited if you are doing keto.
How Long Will Cheesy Potatoes Keep?
Cheesy potatoes will keep for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. They can also be frozen for up to 2 months.
How to Reheat?
Potatoes au gratin can be reheated in the microwave, over or in the skillet. We like to reheat in the oven to get that golden crispy cheese on top!
Cheesy, creamy comfort food all in this simple side dish. The ingredients are simple, the process is easy, cheesy potatoes need to be on your dinner table!
More Potato Side Dishes You Must Try:
- Steakhouse Smashed Potatoes
- Oven Baked Potatoes
- Potato Rolls
- Herb and Garlic Roasted Potatoes
- Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Twice Baked Potatoes
- Chorizo Potatoes
- Mashed Potatoes
- Green Beans and Potatoes
- Roasted Root Vegetables
- All SIDE DISH Recipes!
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Instant Pot Cheesy Potatoes
- 6 Potatoes Russett, washed and peeled
- 1 Cup Cream Heavy Whipping
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper ground
- 1 Cup Cheese Mozzarella, grated
- 1 Cup Cheese Cheddar, grated, divided
- Thinly slice the potatoes using a mandolin.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the heavy cream, garlic, nutmeg, flour, salt, black pepper.
- Spray a round pan that can easily fit inside your pressure cooker (I used 8″ round with 2″ high sides) with non stick spray. Layer half of the potatoes in the pan, followed by half of the cheese. Pour half of the liquid over the top. Repeat with the rest of the potatoes, and liquid, reserving the remaining cheese for later.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of water into the liner of your pressure cooker and place the round pan on top of your trivet. Slowly lower your pan down into the liner of your pressure cooker. Close the lid and turn the pressure release valve to seal. Cook on HIGH pressure for 25 minutes, followed by a QUICK RELEASE of the pressure.
- Carefully remove the pan out by the trivet handles and place pan on a baking sheet. Top with the remaining cheese and place under the broiler in your oven for 3 minutes. (Or leave the potatoes in the pressure cooker, top with cheese and cover for 5 minutes to melt the cheese before removing from liner).
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.