It’s not just a vanilla bean whipped cream, it’s a mascarpone vanilla bean whipped cream recipe and it’s hands down my most favorite thing ever to serve alongside desserts or even just to dip fresh berries in. And the best part? It’s just as easy as a plain whipped cream.
I originally was looking to make a thicker, creamier whipped cream to accompany our Liege Waffles, or as you all know them, Waffle Luv waffles, and while I did just that, I also threw in some vanilla bean and my goodness, it took the taste to a whole new level!!!
Ingredients Needed for Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream
You only need 4 ingredients for this luscious whipped cream! Here is your shopping list:
- Heavy Whipping Cream: you’ll need a pint of whipping cream to make this recipe
- Vanilla Bean Pods: if you don’t have vanilla bean pods, add a splash of vanilla extract
- Powdered Sugar: also called confectioners’ sugar
- Mascarpone: can be found in the grocery store near the ricotta cheese or cream cheese
The measurements for each ingredient can be found in the recipe card below.
How to Make Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream Recipe
Making this vanilla bean whipped cream is just as easy as making regular whipped cream with just a couple extra steps.
- Beat the whipped cream with a hand mixer (or with the whisk attachment on a stand mixer) in a mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Don’t over whip!
- Add the vanilla beans (see next section for directions on scraping vanilla bean pods) and powdered sugar and beat until soft peaks form again.
- Add the mascarpone and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Serve on top of pies, cake, waffles, pancakes, or use as a dip for fresh fruit. Everything is better with a dollop of vanilla bean whipped cream!
These instructions can also be found in the recipe card below. You can print or save the recipe there as well.
How to Scrape Vanilla Bean Pods
Place the bean pod on a cutting board and slice it lengthwise using the tip of a paring knife. Use the edge of the paring knife to scrape the length of the pod removing the seeds or beans as you go.
Should I Use Powdered Sugar or Granulated Sugar in Whipped Cream?
You can use either granulated or powdered sugar. I prefer to use powdered sugar because it’s so light and doesn’t weigh down the whipping cream.
Is Whipping Cream The Same As Heavy Cream?
Whipping cream and heavy cream are the same thing. They both contain at least 36% or more milk fat, but the difference between whipping cream and heavy cream is that whipping tends to be more fluffy when whipped. But you can use them interchangeably.
Is There a Substitute for Heavy Cream?
There isn’t really a substitute for heavy cream when trying to make whipped cream. If you want to make a dairy-free whipped cream, you can use full-fat canned coconut milk and follow the instructions as written.
How to Store Whipped Cream
Homemade whipped cream should always be stored in a sealed container in the fridge. You cannot let whipped cream sit out for an extended period of time or it will fall and get soupy.
Can Whipped Cream Be Made Ahead of Time?
This whipped cream is quite stable so it can be made a day ahead of time and it will still hold up just fine.
How Long Does Whipped Cream Last?
If stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, it will last up to 4 days.
What Happens If You Over Beat Whipping Cream?
When whipping cream is over beat, the fat molecules in the cream stick too closely together, creating lumps and giving the whipped cream a granular texture. It becomes like the consistency of butter.
Is There Anything You Can Do To Fix Over Mixed Cream?
Add a few drops of cream and use a hand whisk to gently whisk the cream in until it is smooth.
What is Mascarpone?
Mascarpone is an Italian soft cheese made from cow’s milk and coagulated with an acid of some kind. It is extra creamy and velvety and has the most dreamy flavor. It is similar to cream cheese but more sweet.
Take your regular old whipped cream and pump some new life into it with some mascarpone and vanilla beans! This perfect vanilla bean whipped cream recipe is going to blow your socks off!
Recipes that Can be Topped with Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream:
- Homemade Hot Chocolate
- French Silk Pie
- Fresh Strawberry Pie
- Lemon Jello Cake
- No Bake Oreo Pie
- Liege Waffles
- Lime Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Pie
- Lemon Mandarin Orange Jello Salad
- Banana Pudding
- All our DESSERT RECIPES here!
Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream
- 2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Vanilla Bean Pods, scraped clean (see post for technique)
- 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 8 Ounces Mascarpone, softened
- In a bowl, using a hand mixer, beat the whipped cream until soft peaks form. Over whipping will turn it to butter, so once it begins to thicken stop the mixer.2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- Add the vanilla bean and powdered sugar, then beat in until soft peaks are starting to form again.2 Vanilla Bean Pods, 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- Add the mascarpone and beat until stiff peaks. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.8 Ounces Mascarpone
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.