Churros are awesome, all sugary and delicious, but have you had churro popcorn? So yummy and it only takes a few simple ingredients.
“Oops I did it again…” Oh! Who has Brittany Spears stuck in their head now?! I’m feeling a major flash back to the early 2000’s, baby! Brittany Spears was catchy, and she did have great abs for a bit there, but I have to admit, I never really cared that much. I mean, I totally sang along if her songs came on, but I never bought her cd’s or went to a concert. But every now and again something happens and I find myself doing a little #tbt and singing, “Ooops I did it again.” It’s ridiculous, I know, but so is this churro popcorn, ridiculously good that is.
Oh my gosh, and seriously what is my deal today? Now I’m all, “Ridiculously good looking” and suddenly I’m in college again! Man, life was so darn easy back then. I think about my own kids right now and A. they don’t have a clue how good they have it, and B. I feel this huge urgency to bust out awesome traditions and experiences so they will have fond memories of their childhood and be firmly connected to their family no matter what.
I made churro pretzels last year that have been going crazy this holiday season so when we invited a bunch of kids over for a little dance party and goodies after school I decided to make it especially fun for the kiddos with some healthy and not so healthy snacks.
The churro popcorn was born and I may even like it better than the pretzels! You don’t need Brittany in an all denim outfit or Ben Stiller talking about the “black lung, Pop” to create good memories, you just need popcorn. Er, I mean love. Yeah, love is way more important than good food, right?
What is Churro?
Churros are simply a strip of fried dough that is dipped in cinnamon and sugar.
Is Popcorn Nutritious?
Air-popped and eaten plain, popcorn is a healthy whole grain food that is low in calories and high in fiber.
Oil-popped popcorn is not so healthy.
Oil and flavoring adds a lot of fat and calories to what could have been a nutritious snack.
Can Popcorn Kernels Go Bad?
Popcorn can go “bad” if not stored properly.
Un-popped Kernels should be stored in an airtight container.
Popcorn kernels keep indefinitely.
Microwave popcorn has a much shorter shelf life due to the oils and additives in the popcorn bag.
Microwave popcorn can be kept for up to 8 months.
More Snack Recipes to Eat by the Handful:
- Muddy Buddies Mix
- Rosemary Parmesan Popcorn
- Churro Chex Mix
- 5 Minute Reese’s Snack Mix
- Coconut Sweet Chex Mix
- Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels
- Salt & Vinegar Popcorn
- Easy Candied Pretzels
- Parmesan Herb Pretzel Nibblers
- Ranch Slow Cooker Chex Mix
- Apple Pie Popcorn
- Cinnamon Roll Pretzel Bites
- Garlic Parmesan Dill Popcorn
- Reese’s Krispies Popcorn
- Coconut Oil Kettle Corn
- All our yummy Snack Recipes!
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
- 1/3 Cup popcorn kernals
- 3/4 Cup cinnamon chips *found in the chocolate chip section
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 Cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon
- In a small bowl, stir the powdered sugar, sugar and cinnamon.
- Set aside.
- Place the popcorn kernels in a paper bag and fold a few times over.
- Microwave for 90-120 seconds or until popping slows down.
- Remove from bag and add a touch of salt, shake and pour into a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, add the butter and melt then the cinnamon chips.
- Stir to combine.
- Pour the cinnamon chips over the popcorn and quickly, using a rubber spatula so as to not break the popcorn, fold until well coated.
- Add the powdered sugar mixture and fold again.
- Serve immediately. Store leftovers for one day in a ziploc bag.